Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Shoe for Canyoneering

Best Shoe for Canyoneering

According to Backpacker 2012 Gear Guide, the best shoe for canyoneering is the Chaco Ponsul Bulloo. Hmmm.
    Life is Good

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Questionable...

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Spending time this week in Adidas Hydro Pro...

Will report back

depends which canyons... most of the moist canyons here... you'll slip and fall no matter what. Someone needs to develop some awesome "Maui Canyon Shoes"

Here it is: Name:  gg12_BF_Chaco_Ponsul_445x260.jpg
Views: 6795
Size:  17.5 KB
    Life is Good

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    Here it is: Name:  gg12_BF_Chaco_Ponsul_445x260.jpg
    Looks like a shoe that non-canyoneers think would be great for canyoneering.

In other words: "ouch!"

T

Yah, I was snickering when I saw this. I was posting to get others reactions and see if anyone really used these shoes.
    Life is Good

yah, those are great for long swims. I take 'em along on Lake Powell trips. Super light and compressible, so you don't notice them in the pack until they're needed. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    Name:  gg12_BF_Chaco_Ponsul_445x260.jpg
    Looks like the type of shoe you would wear while walking on the beach holding hands with your girlfriend.

They eerily resemble the dreaded water socks that the nerdy kids wore in the pool when I was younger. Usually the same kids whose mom put sunscreen in their hair and who wore t shirts in the pool. Shudder....

Obviously the product testers at Backpacker did not traverse the Narrows with these. They would have finished on their knees, begging for their moms!

13. Likes blueeyes liked this post
    About 15 years ago, I was hiking the narrows in cheap, light HiTech boots. Suddenly, the sole came off one boot. With no duct tape, I traded out that boot for a Chaco and finished the hike one boot on and one boot off. I don't remember any painful rock bangs, "extra" slippage or toe bangs on my exposed sandal foot.

Chaco make a pretty good sandal.

Last year, we did Larry Canyon with girl, who was misinformed of the adventure and wore cheap shorts and Chacos. Her only problem was shredding her shorts (which my wife fixed by giving her mine ). The downclimbs and exit crack was no problem for her in Chacos.

A few years back, a sandal-wearing canyoneer (might even have been chackos) had his big toe nearly severed by a shifting rock in Englestead Hollow. Anyone with a link to that story?

I snicker at these shoes but Spidey did in fact do Heaps in Chacos and wool socks..... not by design but out of necessity. I know, I was there and I kept asking him how he was doing. Of course he blasted through in good shape.
    Life is Good

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hank moon View Post
    A few years back, a sandal-wearing canyoneer (might even have been chackos) had his big toe nearly severed by a shifting rock in Englestead Hollow. Anyone with a link to that story?
    story from eric. group behind his a member lost a toe
    http://utoutdoors.blogspot.com/2005/...ad-hollow.html

Quote Originally Posted by hank moon View Post

I am sensing a 127 hour sequel here. Another good reason for canyoneer SAR-can't see the blood from your pulverized feet.

Ken

Everyone needs to back up off the Chacos! I've done Heaps and Imlay twice in Chacos and didn't have a single problem. Come to think of it, with the exception of Sandthrax, I've done every canyon I've ever done in Chacos. They're comfortable, the pro-sole Chacos have better grip than ANY of my trail-running shoes and most of my approach shoes, they're lightweight...just generally awesome.

Quick poll - how many of you who are ripping on Chaco-wearers have EVER worn Chacos in a canyon? Any of you? Do y'all even OWN Chacos? I'll admit, my crew and I don't fit in with the rest of you bumblebee-wearing canyoneers, but we get along just fine with. I've got a pair of size 10s if anyone wants to borrow them for a canyon. I'll make converts out of you 5.10 Fanboys yet.
    You May All Go To Hell And I Will Go To Texas

Quote Originally Posted by xxnitsuaxx View Post
    Quick poll - how many of you who are ripping on Chaco-wearers have EVER worn Chacos in a canyon? Any of you? Do y'all even OWN Chacos?
    There is always someone standing in line to date the ugly fat girl.....

Quote Originally Posted by Renatomic808 View Post
    depends which canyons... most of the
    moist canyons here... you'll slip and
    fall no matter what. Someone needs
    to develop some awesome "Maui
    Canyon Shoes"
    Barefoot apparently is the way to go :). I still think the 1/2 felt, 1/2 sticky rubber shoe is the best compromise in Maui

Quote Originally Posted by xxnitsuaxx View Post
    Everyone needs to back up off the Chacos! ... They're comfortable, the pro-sole Chacos have better grip than ANY of my trail-running shoes and most of my approach shoes, they're lightweight...just generally awesome.
    You are the first person I've ever heard call chacos lightweight. For how little sandal they actually are, they are heavy mo-fos, like a pound each. It's like wearing bricks. I also hate 5.10 canyoneers, they are heavy, clunky, and uncomfortable. But I love the savants and the insights. The sticky soles are without a doubt the best all around soles.

That said, I know a lot of people who swear by chacos. Hell, I even saw guys hiking the PCT with chacos and injinji socks. 30 miles a day sometimes, for weeks on end, even across snow in the Sierras. They hated shoes. However, they simply don't work for me. I use them on river trips all the time, but once I start hiking in them, I bust my toes up like crazy. Not sure how you guys do it. I also find them sloppy when I need to edge or smear on anything. The vibram soles don't even compare to sticky rubber of 5.10s. And, they are expensive. 100 bucks? They're sandals! They are great on the river though.

But ultimately, whatever works works.
    That said, the Chacos in this thread are ugly as hell.