Thread: Yankee Doodle

Yankee Doodle

Stephanie, Tyler, Aralynn and I headed down the mighty Yankee Doodle on May 28th, 2012.

For the entry rappel, we chose the 100ft freehanging option.

We carried a 50ft rope the rest of the way, but never got it out. There are a couple of interesting downclimbs, but nothing too serious. Yankee Doodle is nice, but really short. It was over before we were even warmed up.

Oh yeah, that canyon is very popular. We met at least a dozen people along the route.

Thanks to Jack from Zion Rock & Mountain Guides for letting us play through. If we had known the canyon was THAT short we would not have asked.

What are the conditions like? Find out on www.candition.com.

Bob

Name:  IMG_4287.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  160.5 KB

Name:  IMG_4293.jpg
Views: 588
Size:  113.4 KB

Name:  IMG_4296.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  88.1 KB

Name:  IMG_4301.jpg
Views: 631
Size:  95.3 KB

http://amazingslots.blogspot.com/201...ee-doodle.html
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Bogley BigShot
    You could combine it with nearby Boltergiest to make for a longer day. Yeah, it's a really short canyon.

Quote Originally Posted by tanya View Post
    You could combine it with nearby Boltergiest to make for a longer day. Yeah, it's a really short canyon.
    True! We didn't have time though, we have a 1 year old that needed us back in Salt Lake.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post

Thanks to Jack from Zion Rock & Mountain Guides for letting us play through.

We were there saturday and Greg from ZRMG was kind enough to let us do the same. Later that day in Boltergeist we met another ZRMG guide who let us play through again. Those guys are so considerate! Thanks ZRMG!

Name:  IMG_4301.jpg
Views: 631
Size:  95.3 KB
    Hi Bob

Can you describe what is happening in this picture? I haven't been there in awhile and I don't remember an anchor on the wall at that spot...but, not sure it is an anchor.

Quote Originally Posted by hank moon View Post
    Hi Bob

Can you describe what is happening in this picture? I haven't been there in awhile and I don't remember an anchor on the wall at that spot...but, not sure it is an anchor.
    Hello Hank,

This is Jack (guide from the group ahead of us) removing a handline for his clients. There were bolts in some of the strangest places on this route (possibly installed by and for guide services?). Based on how straightforward the downclimbs are, I can't imagine anyone else taking the time to bolt this route.

Hmmm... I was in there just 3 weeks ago and I don't think that bolt was there. If I recall there was an anchor set up off a bolt on the left side of the chick stone in this pic, giving an awkward place for an anchor. Most of my group was not comfortable with the down climb, so I meat anchored them and them down climbed it myself. That is if iam thinking of the correct spot :confused:

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by skiclimb3287 View Post
    If I recall there was an anchor set up off a bolt on the left side of the chick stone in this pic,
    Chick stone, chock stone, whatever :D

Hmmm... I was in there just 3 weeks ago and I don't think that bolt was there.
    Now that you mention it... there was a long streak of white dust below the first needless anchor. From recent drilling I'm sure.

The bolt police would surely yank 3 or 4 bolts that we saw. Stephen Hawking might need them, but few other people would.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Now that you mention it... there was a long streak of white dust below the first needless anchor. From recent drilling I'm sure.

The bolt police would surely yank 3 or 4 bolts that we saw. Stephen Hawking might need them, but few other people would.
    I am very disappointed that other guide services like to have the canyon industrialized to this degree. Let me assure you that Zion Adventure Company likes the canyon in its original state and is very comfortable guiding it with first timers as a natural canyon.

3 or 4? There are about 10 bolts and now pins that could be removed. Nothing like bolts above a 4th class downclimb. However, the other guides are very righteous about those bolts, and taking them out would do no good and WOULD rile them up. So as much as it wounds my heart, I suggest leaving them.

Tom

Bob, thanks for the info - pretty disturbing. I wonder if the BLM cares and whether it might lead to increased regulation. I also wonder if it is guide services that are doing the bolting. Might be, but sounds really overkill. Maybe "Worlds Greatest Loser" is now guiding in there? Or, the perennial scapegoat, les BSA?

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Your missing a lot--last time I was through(sometime last Winter) I counted 13 bolted stations. Some are slightly hidden, Most make no sense.

13?! I don't even recall 13 downclimbs! Only the rappel in needs an anchor, all the rest can be meat anchored for uncomfortable members of the group...

13?! I don't even recall 13 downclimbs! Only the rappel in needs an anchor, all the rest can be meat anchored for uncomfortable members of the group...

There are four different trees for the rappel into the slot. Generally, once in the slot, one can tie off a tree for the big rappel, then climb down in and retrieve the rope after completing the canyon, since the spot is 3 minutes from the car.

So, yeah - zero need for bolts in that canyon - done clean for years...

Tom

What is the name of the canyon that Ts with Yankee Doodle below the second rap? It's the one with a largeish, possible keeper pothole just before joining the main part of YD. Is it considered a separate canyon or is it just an alternate entrance?

Quote Originally Posted by WorkBad View Post
    What is the name of the canyon that Ts with Yankee Doodle below the second rap? It's the one with a largeish, possible keeper pothole just before joining the main part of YD. Is it considered a separate canyon or is it just an alternate entrance?
    Alternate Entrance.

T

Quote Originally Posted by WorkBad View Post
    What is the name of the canyon that Ts with Yankee Doodle below the second rap?
    Yankee Doodle has a second rap?!?

Good thing we got all them bolts!

maybe they put them all up so they can get through playing the ground is lava...