Thread: Thoughts on a bike please.

Thoughts on a bike please.

http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebik...esport_bk.html

Looking to get an entry level bike. I'm kind of sold on the idea of a 29er. Thoughts? Waste of money? Decent?

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218...=1&search=29er

This one?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Looks like a decent bike, decent price. He's keeping the pedals it looks like so you'll have to buy some platforms or clipless.

I'd personally go with a full suspension bike

First off, I'm digging my 29er hardtail, a 2012 Trek/Gary Fisher Superfly aluminum (with a bunch of upgraded parts). After riding a 26" full-suspension for years, I love the simplicity of the hardtail, the quick response and bigger wheels. I've ridden everything on it, including Moab and a ride-around-the-White-Rim-in-a-day 100 mile ride. I have yet to say to myself, "Dang I wish I had a full-suspension for that". However, I don't do do drops or stunts, just x-country style riding. Perfect for the Wasatch Front stuff. I'm not as fast downhill as I was on my full-susp. but, at 52 years old now, I'm never going to be a downhill rocket like I used to be. My hardtail scoots uphill.

I like the components on the GT for the price but, is that a chromolly frame? Looks like it but doesn't say. If so, it's heavier than I'd want, but then again, the Jamis isn't a lite-weight rig either with its alum. frame. If you get a decent, lite-weight frame, you can upgrade to better/lighter components as the budget permits. All the major bike brands make lower-priced hardtails now. I'd suggest going to your local bike shop and test riding them all. You may still be able to find some 2011 models out there that they'd sell at discount also.
    Are we there yet?

Well I am all about finding a decent used bike for a good first ride. With a little patience and research you can find a decent ride for good money. Then if you don't like it you can sell it and recoup most if not all of your money. But if you do like it you can sell it also once you figure out what you truly want and need in a bike.
    Exercise is the elixir of life!

Every 29er I have ridden felt big and unwieldy. Are you tall? From my research it seems that the 29ers are best for people that are 6 feet or larger. I'm 5'11, so border line. Also 29er's make great hard tails as they smooth out the trail and you end up needing less suppression. Ever see a short lady on a 29er? Looks rather funny with those large wheels.

I'm 5"10 and just got a 29er, your just hearing stuff they were saying years ago about the 29ers. Heck if all the women racers are on them and they are just tipping five feet you will be great. I don't miss my 26 inch wheel bike for one second and it doesn't even feel like I'm on a sluggish bike. First ride shaved 3 minutes off my previous fasted climb ever posted. Test ride some at the lbs, you will be able to feel what bike fits you instantly

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

Quote Originally Posted by reverse_dyno View Post
    Every 29er I have ridden felt big and unwieldy. Are you tall? From my research it seems that the 29ers are best for people that are 6 feet or larger. I'm 5'11, so border line. Also 29er's make great hard tails as they smooth out the trail and you end up needing less suppression. Ever see a short lady on a 29er? Looks rather funny with those large wheels.
    Well if someone looks funny on a 29 er I should have never bought one....what will people think of me while riding on the trail? Never once did I think of what people are going to think when I went looking for a bike. You just need to figure out what you want to do, go fast uphill, downhill a little of both and where your going to ride on a normal basis.

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

I rarely have time anymore to reply on here but couldn't pass this one. I am a dyed in the wool 26r but recently I purchased a Surly Ogre - 29r - full rigid frame and have had a BALL riding it. It's not a clumsy ride as I feared it would be. Sporting a chromoly frame it has good flex and it climbs like a goat! I do take it slow on the descents but then that's what my FR 26r monster is for. The only 29r I havent liked at all is the Diamondback full suspension that just came out for this year. If you can find a Pivot 29r full suspension try it out....also a fun ride!

Thanks for all the input. I am over 6'1" and I want to be able to climb well so the 29'er would seem to fit the bill? I did go test drive a Hardrock Sport Disc 29'er that I liked well enough. It's my first bike in years so I'm probably easily pleased. I'd go used, but it's probably going to be a gift situation so...

Check out the Santa Cruz Tallboy. I have heard from the bike shops that they are selling tons of them.

The deed is done. With my b-day gift card, I got the Hardrock sport disc 29'er. So far I like it, but it's yet to taste dirt. Guess I ought to look for some pedals and shoes now...damn biking is expensive compared to running.

Quote Originally Posted by reverse_dyno View Post
    Ever see a short lady on a 29er? Looks rather funny with those large wheels.
    I've seen the exact opposite--Shaun Bradley on his custom road bike. The frame is so big it makes those 29" wheels look like 20 inchers.

Quote Originally Posted by Riseforms View Post
    ...damn biking is expensive compared to running.
    Yeah, but it's still a lot cheaper than a heart attack or diabetes.