Thread: Goblin's lair 5-27-2012

Goblin's lair 5-27-2012

Did Goblin's Lair on Sunday. I really was interested in seeing what impact canyoneers were having on the route. And I'm happy to say it is very little. Outside of a few footprints and a sling the route is looking untouched. We found no litter or problem areas, which is awesome.

One item I did notice that I think will help. If canyoneers walk to the back wall before pulling their ropes it will eliminate any rope grooves. There is one small section (12" square) where grooves can be seen starting to appear, and if folks will just walk as far back from the rappel as possible to pull ropes this will not become a problem area.

Permits were easy to obtain and not an issue. When you sign the permit you are mostly acknowledging that the park doesn't have the resources or trained personally to rescue your ass if you mess up.... and that mediocre medical is at least a couple hours away.

The highlight of the trip was on the hike into Goblin's Lair when we walked around a corner and looked into a cave and discovered a young couple in the middle of passionate love making.... they never heard us as they had music playing on a small radio.... the chick disappeared like smoke and the dude just smiled as he pulled up his pants....

fun stuff.

Name:  Goblin's Lair 1.JPG
Views: 731
Size:  101.0 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Mommy, why is that woman screaming that she's going to visit God?

Fortunately the kids were off to the side playing in the rocks and missed the show...

Nice. We did the Lair this morning, before heading over to Zero G. Nice hike to the rap, cool rap into the chamber. Had the place to ourselves which I consider a bonus on a busy holiday. Thanks for the beta/heads up about this place. How many times we have flown down hwy 24 on the way to the lake, never stopping to look at the goblins. Last time I was here was in about '82. Do you think anyone knew about the chamber then?

Goblin Valley was packed on Sunday. Every parking stall was filled. But soon as we got away from the TH we were alone except for the lovers.

of the passionate couple.
    Darin