Thread: Black Hole 5-26-2012

Black Hole 5-26-2012

Did a family trip through the Black Hole on Saturday,. This has kind of become a Memorial Weekend tradition for us.

There is still plenty of water in the Black Hole with several long swims and lots of wading. We had no scummy pools or log soup to swim through. But the water was the coldest I've ever encounter in the Black Hole. I don't think you could do it right now without a wetsuit. I was wearing a 3mm full and I got cold..... and I never get cold....

Anyhoo.... with everything being so dry right now if you want water and swimming the Black Hole has plenty of it.

Name:  Black Hole 01.jpg
Views: 798
Size:  91.7 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nice, Iceaxe. I went through it solo about 2 weeks ago. I didn't notice the cold because I wore a drysuit. This is just before I dove in...by the way, there was a pair of what looked like size 14 hiking boots up at the trailhead parking. Are they still there?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Nope, there were no boots at the TH.

But it did notice every tree and bush for 1/4 mile around the upper TH has a big pile of shit and TP behind it. I'm sure that is going to cause some problems for canyoneers in the near future.

Yeah, the crap I don't mind so much. Shit happens, ya know? It's the TP thing that sucks. Why people can't torch it or put it in a baggie just mystifies me. Perhaps it's better that most are crapping up by the road rather than down in the canyon...

My problem is the BLM will see the poop mess and decide we need a pit toilet, which might be a good thing.... or they might decide we need permits, which would be a bad thing.

One of the items that makes the Black Hole so appealing to me in addition to its awesomeness, is that you can take large groups through safely with competent leadership. We had a group of 8 last weekend with 2 kids ages 8 and 10. We took a Bogley-fest through a few years back with 25 in the group.

I have heard that the big former log jams of several years back have returned. Is that true?
    Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow

Quote Originally Posted by taatmk View Post
    I have heard that the big former log jams of several years back have returned. Is that true?
    FALSE....

The log jams disappears several years ago and have not returned.

Here is a video from our trip through there a few weeks ago... Unfortunately the memory card got full just as we entered the log soup.

Below is a picture of one of the logjams from 2005. Until a hole was knocked through the bottom of the logjams you had to climb up and over...

A little log soup or a couple logs that you have to climb over is typical.

Name:  hole05.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  88.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Below is a picture of one of the logjams from 2005. Until a hole was knocked through the bottom of the logjams you had to climb up and over...

A little log soup or a couple logs that you have to climb over is typical.

Name:  hole05.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  88.4 KB
    Love that pic.

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Love that pic.
    x2
    - Gavin