Thread: Kanarra Canyon - more $$

Kanarra Canyon - more $$

I drove my family up to Kanarraville today with some kind of on the fence about hiking into the canyon due to the colder weather. We arrived at the trailhead thinking it would be $10/car to park. Turns out that they (who, I'm not exactly sure) have decided to start charging access fees in addition to the parking fees.

A boy with a yellow "agent" sign around his neck stopped us and notified us that the fee was $4/adult, $3 per kid over 5 with student ID. I asked him who was charging the fee and he said that the trail crosses some private property and the land owner is charging the access fees to help pay for trash cleanup efforts within the canyon.

We were already in the fence about doing the hike, so we spent the afternoon in the Kolob Terrace instead without pushing the matter much.

Has anyone experienced this? Is this an organized effort by the city or some yahoo trying to make a buck? I think the $10 for parking is reasonable, but $4/person is steep unless they are going to provide a moving walkway to the mouth of the canyon. Seems like Kanarraville is doing everything that they can to discourage tourism. Maybe that is what they want...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Holy crap.... That is a cool hike but not that cool.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

I was there maybe two weeks ago, and it was just the $10. We drove by yesterday, met the kid, decided to do other fun things.

I'm betting the "private land owner" (or a very sneaky, enterprising kid?) was just taking advantage of the holiday weekend.

5. Likes tanya liked this post
    Bogley BigShot
    Sounds like something my 11 year old would do to make money.

Quote Originally Posted by tanya View Post
    Sounds like something my 11 year old would do to make money.

We was there 4 weeks ago - a beautiful canyon, and paid the 10 bucks. How it was shown a the self pay box.