Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SNAKE!!!

Sweet pics

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

In Short Canyon last summer, I was standing on a chockstone peering downcanyon and when I looked down there was a snake curled up between the rock and the canyon wall just inches from my foot. It didn't even rattle, the snake was probably very very cold.
    In the pic you can see my muddy footprint on the rock and the snake to the right.
    Name:  15Rattler.jpg
Views: 1641
Size:  47.3 KB
    Last edited by SRG; 04-21-2013 at 08:36 AM. Reason: wording

4. Likes blamkin86, Byron liked this post
    On the hike out from Fat Mans Misery: Name:  005.jpg
Views: 1457
Size:  87.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by SRG View Post
    In Short Canyon last summer, I was standing on a chockstone peering downcanyon and when I looked down there was a snake curled up between the rock and the canyon wall just inches from my foot. It didn't even rattle, the snake was probably very very cold.
    In the pic you can see my muddy footprint on the rock and the snake to the right.
    Name:  15Rattler.jpg
Views: 1641
Size:  47.3 KB
    DUDE!!!! I just enlarged the pic to see exactly where the snake was....holy Moses! Man, that's about as close to stepping on the thing as you can get! WOW!
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

7. Likes SRG, WorkBad liked this post
    Awesome Pics! Last summer we encountered 4 snakes in Winter Cabin Draw, one of which I did not see and steped right next to. Luckily that was the only one that was not a rattler.

I have also removed 3 from my back yard, but unlike Byron I use a really long rake to get them into a container and relocate.

The closest I got to stepping on one was two years back while trail running. I saw it last second and pushed off just enough to leap over it instead of landing on it.

10. Likes WorkBad liked this post
    That rock the snake was on was my next step...

Yikes. I've seen quite a few but never anything "aimed" at me!

Last fall, in the next-to-last downclimb in Moonshine wash, my wife jumped backwards and someone else said - "Look at your foot." Sure enough, a little rattler pretty much against my boot - but this guy somehow had his rattlers chewed off or something and was in some distress.

I kicked him out of the way to safety, and we went on down over the dryfall.

Of course then, we realized, we were coming back that way.

On the return trip, I (not so bravely) went first by stemming as much as I could and avoided using my hands up and over unknown rocks.

Sure enough, there he was there waiting for us to return.

Found this guy about 5 miles into the top to bottom hike of the narrows.
    Name:  Snake!.jpg
Views: 1529
Size:  70.4 KB

Just a heads up.... with the warmer weather coming rattlesnakes will be coming out of hibernation in many places over the next couple of weeks. I haven't seen any along the Wasatch Front so far this year, but I bet I see a couple within the next two weeks.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

So out of curiosity does anyone here now if non rattle snakes have bacteria well pathogens that can make you sick if you get bit

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366904608.524678.jpg
Views: 1192
Size:  26.4 KB

Saved these guys in lodge canyon

A snake and an anchor challenge (the webbing is equalized about right):
    Name:  IMG_1276.jpg
Views: 1278
Size:  265.7 KB

Close up:
    Name:  IMG_1278.jpg
Views: 1302
Size:  95.3 KB

Looks like the water knot is tied incorrectly?

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave Silence View Post
    Looks like the water knot is tied incorrectly?
    Doesn't look like a water knot, but, the webbing looks tied EDK style, maybe?

Where was that? Purty snake, and, doesn't look like the great basin variety we get here in the Wasatch. Nevada?

Cotalus lepidus, methinks. Rock rattlesnake. One of the protected species of rattlesnakes in Arizona. Darn near stepped on this feller in Cochise Stronghold, on the way to climb What's My Line a few years back. Thank goodness it was docile!

Name:  Cochise rattler.jpg
Views: 1288
Size:  235.7 KB

Another close encounter...running the trail at dusk from the summit of Mount Tammany in New Jersey, in the Delaware Water Gap. Jumped a water bar and about landed on this feller. Huge snake. Was pissed for a second and struck at me three or four times.

Name:  copperhead Mt Tammany.jpg
Views: 4065
Size:  309.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    Doesn't look like a water knot, but, the webbing looks tied EDK style, maybe?
    Probably, but the snake was a much bigger problem with the anchor than the knot (lower right for anyone who didn't notice). If I tried to move him with a stick, he'd probably drop into the pool that I needed to descend into next in order to finish the canyon. Final solution was to downclimb half way then jump into the pool (not use this anchor).

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    Where was that? Purty snake, and, doesn't look like the great basin variety we get here in the Wasatch. Nevada?
    San Gabriels in southern California, second to last rappel in Little Santa Anita specifically

I saw this little guy in the San Rafael Reef on Saturday--only the fourth rattler I've ever seen.

Name:  IMG_4603.jpg
Views: 1197
Size:  111.8 KB
    Blog | FB

Saw my first rattlesnake of the year along the Wasatch Front yesterday. He was crawling across the trail as I was riding my mountain bike. I unintentionally ran right over the middle of him as I thought it was a stick. I didn't bother to stop and give him CPR and he wasn't in the trail on my return trip so hopefully he survived.

All three were from this last weeks adventures in the Zion area. May 2013

Found this guy in Fat Man's stuck inside a pothole. Anyone know what kind this is?
    Name:  snake 2.jpg
Views: 1457
Size:  52.0 KB

Garter Snake... Nom Nom Nom on a lizard. Exiting Rock Canyon
    Name:  snake 1.jpg
Views: 1624
Size:  107.9 KB

Bull Snake trying to climb the walls
    Name:  snake 3.jpg
Views: 1089
Size:  65.8 KB