Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SNAKE!!!

SNAKE!!!

I almost stepped on this bad boy last weekend.... and he was not happy about it.... He was hard to see mixed in with dried leaves in the dark confines of a slot canyon. This is the second time I have come close to being biten by a rattlesnake.... it gives me the willeys...

Name:  snake1.jpg
Views: 4063
Size:  107.4 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nice pic!
    Just be sure you let him bite you on the "other" leg. can you imagine having a snakebite and huge gash on one? gotta spread the damage around a bit.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

There was a rattlesnake in Yankee Doodle earlier this year in the first slot below the rappel and last year in Mystery in the small pool behind the boulder on the long wall rap

This guy struck at me after I almost stepped on him while doing Meadow Canyon in West Clear Creek, AZ this past Sunday. Came with in a couple inches of biting my leg! He was not a happy camper, I guess the black tail rattlers in WCC have a reputation for being mean! I was on edge for a couple hours after that, I kept thinking every branch was another snake!

Name:  black tail rattler.jpg
Views: 3776
Size:  80.0 KB

Man, I hate snakes. I've been fortunate to avoid them except hiking Lone Peak. Makes my skin crawl looking at these pics!!!!!!!!!!
    Darin

Yikes! Both of those snakes look pissed!

I have to give rattlesnakes credit though, they are usually courteous enough to give you a warning. The freakin copperheads back east scare the crap out of me. No warning at all.

You guys just need to show these things who's boss. I caught this bad boy on the way up to Icebox Canyon. I was there with Mike Kelsey when this one slithered across our path. I jumped into the bushes and pulled it out and you should have seen the look on Mikes face! He though I was a lunatic. I grew up catching these things, the trick is not to get bit! You also don't want to screw with them when they're warmed up from the sun, 'cause the bigger ones move pretty quick. Also, if they're warmed up, and you get them mad enough, they WILL chase you. Stepping on one is of course, not recommended. There also seems to be plenty of little ones in the slots around the Escalante, for some reason.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    You guys just need to show these things who's boss. I caught this bad boy on the way up to Icebox Canyon. I was there with Mike Kelsey when this one slithered across our path. I jumped into the bushes and pulled it out and you should have seen the look on Mikes face! He though I was a lunatic. I grew up catching these things, the trick is not to get bit! You also don't want to screw with them when they're warmed up from the sun, 'cause the bigger ones move pretty quick. Also, if they're warmed up, and you get them mad enough, they WILL chase you. Stepping on one is of course, not recommended. There also seems to be plenty of little ones in the slots around the Escalante, for some reason.
    Excellent story and photo Byron! That thing is big. Personally, I love snakes.

Nat
    Last edited by nat; 05-24-2012 at 06:40 PM. Reason: mis-spell

Gavin jumped almost seven feet a couple years ago when a snake buzzed at him on our way to Das Boot. It was hilarious. I figure rattlesnakes are generally pretty harmless, because they almost always warn you before they bite you.
    --Cliff

A few weeks ago we were in St George and came across two in two days. We have decided that on if the guys on the trip needs to be on all future trips. He seems to flush them. On day one we went for a hike up the amputate trail in snow canyon and one rattled at him from the bushes. Scared the crap out of him. At least the rest of us knew he was there after that. On Day 2, we were hiking out the exit gully from Yankee Doodle and he got restyled at again. He had missed stepping on the snake by inches. Jumped quite high again.

I have good pictures of them, but an currently in the slc airport waiting for my flight to st. george. Was in Vancouver for business and already had plans to be in Zion this weekend, so saving time and flying down. The awesome girlfriend it's currently driving my jeep down to pick me up. Will try and remember to post the photos when we return.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Near the summit of Mt Tammany in New Jersey...near dusk, jogging down from the top...jumped over a water bar and almost landed on this critter:

Name:  Copperhead.jpg
Views: 8734
Size:  316.4 KB

Not a happy camper. Huge snake. Struck at me a half dozen times...

Belaying at Red River Gorge, look down, and this guy was sneakin' around under me...

Name:  Copperhead Red.jpg
Views: 3133
Size:  146.0 KB

Yeah, copperheads are quiet...

I'm glad we don't have copper heads around here, but man that is a beautiful snake, you heard me. I nearly stepped on this guy inches from the trail in Kanarra Creek May 21, 2012. Located about an hour up from the second waterfall.

Name:  Kanarra Creek Rattler.JPG
Views: 2627
Size:  241.8 KB

I also rescued this little guy out of a pothole in Behunin May 25, 2012.

Name:  Pothole Rescue.JPG
Views: 2351
Size:  125.3 KB

Ran into another pissed off rattlesnake this weekend in Upper Sabino Canyon in Tucson, AZ. Guess it is just that time of year!

Name:  Black rattler.jpg
Views: 2897
Size:  99.4 KB

One time we were stemming down a section and this rattler was in the bottom. Se we just kept stemming as the walls got wider. But the snake started following us from the bottom. It was a little guy which had me worried a bit. We were super stretched out by the end but got ahead of him. Kind of creepy at the time.
    - Gavin

I come across some now and then.

Name:  coldwater rattler.jpg
Views: 2295
Size:  135.9 KBName:  rattler kill.jpg
Views: 2320
Size:  124.2 KB

Anyone else notice there seems to be a lot of rattlesnakes this year? I bet I have seen at least a dozen so far and the year is just past the halfway point. Normally I average seeing a couple every year. Maybe its just me but I seem to find at least one rattlesnake every time we go out this year. Maybe is the hot dry weather.... anyhoo.... watch your step.

19. Likes jdawg liked this post
    Came across 4 rattlers in Kolob Saturday. Watch out!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    I grew up catching these things, the trick is not to get bit!
    Thank you, Captain Obvious!

Seriously, I don't move quick enough or have fast enough reflexes to even THINK about doing that!

Found this little guy at the last rap in MMI 12 April 2013.
    Name:  IMG_4082 [Facebook].jpg
Views: 1904
Size:  67.1 KB