Thread: Dante Area Conditions

Dante Area Conditions

Hey all,

Took a group through the Dante area canyons last weekend (Upper Ticaboo, Purgatory aka Dave's Not Dead, Inferno, Paradiso and Limbo.)

Overall, anchors were decent, though some may choose to replace some (the final anchor in Limbo comes to mind.) We definitely used a sand trap in Limbo (maybe twice?), and we used potshots in one or two of the canyons as well. Lots of fun partner assists and good downclimbs too. Go prepared.

The most water I can remember is in Upper Ticaboo, where the pothole section held one thigh deep pool and one swimmer. We had wetsuits with us for Upper Ticaboo, but didn't put them on as the weather was in the 90s and the cold pool swim felt good. We didn't carry wetsuits through the other slots, and didn't need them. (It was still hot, and as of right now, the canyons are quite dry.)

The north road/route out to the Dante's definitely has a few spots where HC is needed, and there are a few sandy sections, so at least AWD is recommended. I didn't drive the south/longer route, so can't comment there. The road up to Ticaboo was in decent shape, but HC still recommended. (Subarus made it fine.)

Hope that helps!
    A.J.

BTW, I put in Canditions for all the ones that were available on the site:
    http://candition.com/canyons
    (as well as I asked to add the missing ones along with a suggestion to recategorize some canyons from North Wash to Lake Powell, or maybe Dante's; so folks don't need to search through so many canyons classified as North Wash...)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by AJ View Post
    BTW, I put in Canditions for all the ones that were available on the site:
    http://candition.com/canyons
    (as well as I asked to add the missing ones along with a suggestion to recategorize some canyons from North Wash to Lake Powell, or maybe Dante's; so folks don't need to search through so many canyons classified as North Wash...)
    It would be my suggestion to not list canyons as Lake Powell that can be accessed by land. I would like to see a heading for Ticaboo Mesa and list everything from Smith Fork, Warm Springs, Seven Mile, Dantes, Ticaboo, etc. It would geographically and logistically group these canyons together. As well as reduce the long (and inacurate) North Wash list. I hope to use my tiny amount of influence over on Candition to make this happen, but they might be tired of hearing from me.
    Penny

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by penmartens View Post
    It would be my suggestion to not list canyons as Lake Powell that can be accessed by land. I would like to see a heading for Ticaboo Mesa and list everything from Smith Fork, Warm Springs, Seven Mile, Dantes, Ticaboo, etc. It would geographically and logistically group these canyons together. As well as reduce the long (and inacurate) North Wash list. I hope to use my tiny amount of influence over on Candition to make this happen, but they might be tired of hearing from me.
    Penny
    Thanks Penny and AJ for the advice - ill pass on the words. It's a work in progress - but the faithful (like yourselves) have been keeping the site and content in great shape!
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"