Thread: Anyone done full Death Hollow in 2012?

Anyone done full Death Hollow in 2012?

I'm trying to get updated beta on Death Hollow - water levels, new canyon conditions, etc. We'll be spending 5 days hiking through in July.

I particularly would like to be sure that the spring at the end of day one is a perennial one and that we'll be able to replenish there even if water levels are low.

Many thanks,
    Alan

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by amk212 View Post
    I'm trying to get updated beta on Death Hollow - water levels, new canyon conditions, etc. We'll be spending 5 days hiking through in July.

I particularly would like to be sure that the spring at the end of day one is a perennial one and that we'll be able to replenish there even if water levels are low.

Many thanks,
    Alan
    Hi Alan,

Sorry,but I can't answer your question as I haven't been there recently. I have been down Death Hollow from Hells Backbone many times, usually in June (once in May) and I have always found water at that first spring, even in dry years. Steve Allen implies in his book, that it is pretty reliable. However, I seem to remember a post here (or on the yahoo canyons group) a couple of years ago by someone who found the spring to be dry. If it is dry, you will almost surely find water shortly below the Right Fork, although that is another 3 hours or so down canyon. It usually takes us 6-7 hours to get to the first spring, and we camp there.

Nat
    nat smale

Thank you - this was helpful!
    alan

Went through Death Hollow early April 2012. There was only one swim it was quite cold but short, only 40ish yards and it ended at a beautiful sunny beach spot. There were 6 or 8 beaver damns creating some decent size pools but they were mostly avoidable. We came across the Boulder mail trail to Death Hollow. We spent 1 night in DH, then down to the Escalante and over to the head of Sand Creek where we camped a second night, then out to the bridge.
    We filtered water from DH and Sand Creek.
    Here's my pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/1123079...98/DeathHollow

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    great set of pics Don!!!!