Thread: How to fish the middle Provo?

How to fish the middle Provo?

I recently started fly fishing. I live near the middle Provo, I have fished there about 5 times and I haven't caught any fish. Is there anybody that has any tips or hints on how to fish the river?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

First of all, welcome to the forum! The Middle Provo is many rivers in one. There are small backwater sections in some places (my favorites) that often get overlooked by most. If I were you, I'd study the river on Google Maps and find those little fingers that separate from the main river and meet back up somewhere else. Those are money!

In the slower sections, a cone headed olive sculpin (or black) can be just the ticket for the beefy browns that hide under the submerged bushes and undercuts. The faster sections are more effectively fished with minnow imitating lures on spinning gear, but fly flickers still get theirs by bouncing nymphs off the bottom with a couple of split shot sinkers clamped to the tag end of the line.

I hear the stonefly action is warming up at many other waters, so that's something to think about right now.

Good luck!

(BTW - With spinning gear, a Blue Fox Vibrax #2 in gold, black, or rainbow can be a game changer.)
    Lost On A Hill

Utah Water Log

Hey thanks for your suggestions, they helped! I am catching a lot more fish every time I go now

When I was going to the U of U I was new to fly fishing and I would have the worst luck on the Provo. Eventually I figured out that those fish are smart! They see everything all the time. I was taught finally to nymph the river and dry fly in the dusk hours. Finally, success. I eventually got very good at fishing the Provo and let me tell you there are few things as satisfying as catching a Provo brown on your own tied fly!
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

That sounds a lot like me, I am going to the U, I started fly fishing last summer up on Henry's Fork and Island park, I've caught a ton of fish up there. I wasn't having any luck on the Provo, but I'm slowly starting to figure it out, but I tend to migrate to the same spots now, I need to explore more of the river.

Thanks for the extra tips too!