Thread: Have I solved my kayak dilemma? (Point 65 modular kayak)

Have I solved my kayak dilemma? (Point 65 modular kayak)

Anybody had any experience with this Point 65 modular sit-in rec kayak?

http://www.rei.com/product/819024/point-65-martini-kayak-bow-section

http://www.rei.com/product/819023/po...-stern-section

Currently on sale at REI ($314.49 for each half)... I've looked at this before, and given it's now on sale I'm about ready to make the leap.

I'd love to get a 14+ foot flatwater boat, but living in an upstairs apartment with no garage or yard, plus the transport issues, make that unfeasible. This looks like a way to own a boat that I can store in my place and transport inside my vehicle. Plus I can now save some $$ on it.

I've previously owned and operated a 12-foot rec kayak when I lived in the S.F. Bay area. And yes, I took it out all over the Bay, and even out the Golden Gate and on the near-shore ocean!

I've read what reviews I can find online (I gather these things are fairly rare, at least in the U.S.). Anybody here have any thoughts on this boat?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Never seen those before, I wonder how they solve the leaks?

The cockpit is one-piece and part of the bow section, while the stern is sealed.

if you watch the video that's linked on REI's product page, you can see how it works. The connection between the two parts doesn't have to make a water-tight seal.

I had done some research on the same company a year or so ago on their sit on top model as it offered me a chance to get a modular kayak for one or two people. Although the design is quite unique and flexible I found several people who had claimed they paddled terribly and recommended looking kayak for two that one person could paddle. I ended up with Liquid Logic Duece Coupes and was totally thrilled with their performance and versatility. For your situation I think that a high quality inflatable would fit the bill and would run about the same price or just a little more but offer increased ease of transportation as well as performance. There are quite a few manufactures that offer very nice inflatable yaks that are high quality and paddle well but I would try before you buy if you can.

6. Likes DOSS liked this post
    Seems like it would cause an odd drag where the seam is. I wouldn't use it for anything other than flat-water, recreational kayaking. But for that, I bet it would be a blast.

The good news? It's from REI. Buy and try it and if you don't like, return it. You'll know right away. Dman is correct, there are some very nice high quality inflatable kayaks out there. Theoretically, you could even use those for mild white water adventures.

Thx for the replies. I've looked at inflatables and folding kayaks, and given serious consideration to some of them. But I really prefer a hardshell boat.

Guess I need to make up my mind pretty quickly...the sale ends on the 28th!

Update: So I went to place the order this evening (the last day of the sale), only to find that the stern section is no longer available (but the bow section is)?! Both parts were listed as "backordered" just a day or so ago. WTF?!