Thread: American Canyoneers Appeal for Membership

American Canyoneers Appeal for Membership

[B]American Canyoneers Appeal for Membership

Canyoneering is experiencing rapid growth in the United States. With it, the
    effects of increased demands and impacts on canyon resources are providing
    glimpses of what the future of canyoneering could be like, including limitations
    on access.

Some of the areas that are currently regulated or closed include:

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Just a couple items....

You do NOT need a PayPal account to pay through PayPal. You just need a credit card. Only those receiving money are required to have an account.

Goblin Valley State Park, upon learning that a canyoneering route had been
    established in the park in the Fall of 2011 immediately responded by closing the
    resource until the time that they could establish their regulatory system for
    canyoneering. The recourse is now open, but requires that canyoneers attain a
    permit.
    I consider this matter closed. Why does American Canyoneers want to stir this pot? Why not just change the statement to "permits required to canyoneer inside Goblin Valley SP?"

Zion National Park has closed access to several canyons; some due sensitivity
    of the resources, and private land access issues. Any technical canyoneering
    requires purchase of a permit.
    Does American Canyoneers understand that by law Zion is required to keep certain areas closed to be used as a tool for measuring impact inside the park? Would you like to see the current areas opened at the expense of anther area?

Arches National Park is currently developing a Climbing and Canyoneering
    Management Plan. Canyoneering in the fiery furnace requires a permit.
    This is pretty much a done deal, at least as far as outside input is concerned. The park is just dotting the I's, crossing the T's and counting the sheep and snakes....

Quote Originally Posted by msmnificent View Post
    We need your help! Join the American Canyoneers in our work on ACES. Become a
    founding member, and help us start this important movement for just $5.00 for
    your first year, or $25 for your first two years' membership. You'll receive
    voting privileges, as well as the knowledge that you are supporting future
    canyoneering access, plus more benefits to come. Join by June 23 to be eligible
    to vote on the first board of directors (anyone who has already donated is
    already a member). Find out more about the election and the organization at www.americancanyoneers.org
    I'm curious about this portion. Given that this is an experimental venture and has yet to achieve any significant value. Why would one pay $25 for two years which is more than double buying 2 years separately? Does this introductory offer end at some point and the membership will be significantly raised?
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathcricket View Post
    I'm curious about this portion. Given that this is an experimental venture and has yet to achieve any significant value. Why would one pay $25 for two years which is more than double buying 2 years separately? Does this introductory offer end at some point and the membership will be significantly raised?
    From their May 14 Update:

We are going to have a vote for the board of directors on the last week of June, (24-30) with voting closing on midnight the 30th. *We have lowered membership to $5.00 per year until the new board can be put in place to increase the numbers of voters. *Those people that have donated previously will not need to pay $5.00 again to vote. *Anyone that paid $25 will be considered a member for the next two years. You will need to be a member of American Canyoneers by 23 June to vote.

6. Likes Deathcricket liked this post
    I hate to be concrete here but I want to know specifically what needs to be entered into the "To" box in PayPal.

Is it "americancanyoneers@americancanyoneers.com"?It is hard to make this payment without this precise information. I also suggest that you folks make it a priority to have a page on the website that processes payment.

Thanks

Ken

On a somewhat separate note, but yet the same. With our book nearing completion, concerns were raised about a couple hikes being listed in our book. As some know, Middle Emerald Pools Trail has been closed since a couple landslides took out portions of the trail. By presenting the Lady Mountain Route to the park, it has been concluded that the hike up Lady Mountain can be done by accessing the now defunct "Middle Emerald Pool Trail" via the Lower Emerald Pool Trail. Hikers will be allowed to access the route up to Lady Mountain by proceding at their own risk on this now un-maintained "trail" from the Middle Emerald Pools, understanding that the hillside is still very unstable. There are no plans to repair, re-route or otherwise address the now non listed Middle Pools Trail. In otherwords...the Middle Emerald Pools Trail no longer exists. FWIW. I went up there a week or so ago and a sign and barrier still was present that warned of the closure and possible penalty for proceeding, but I have been assured that soon just a barrier and obstacles will be in place to thwart unsuspecting dayhikers.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck View Post
    On a somewhat separate note, but yet the same. With our book nearing completion, concerns were raised about a couple hikes being listed in our book. As some know, Middle Emerald Pools Trail has been closed since a couple landslides took out portions of the trail. By presenting the Lady Mountain Route to the park, it has been concluded that the hike up Lady Mountain can be done by accessing the now defunct "Middle Emerald Pool Trail" via the Lower Emerald Pool Trail. Hikers will be allowed to access the route up to Lady Mountain by proceding at their own risk on this now un-maintained "trail" from the Middle Emerald Pools, understanding that the hillside is still very unstable. There are no plans to repair, re-route or otherwise address the now non listed Middle Pools Trail. In otherwords...the Middle Emerald Pools Trail no longer exists. FWIW. I went up there a week or so ago and a sign and barrier still was present that warned of the closure and possible penalty for proceeding, but I have been assured that soon just a barrier and obstacles will be in place to thwart unsuspecting dayhikers.
    Thanks Bo.

T

Quote Originally Posted by spinesnaper View Post
    I hate to be concrete here but I want to know specifically what needs to be entered into the "To" box in PayPal.

Is it "americancanyoneers@americancanyoneers.com"?It is hard to make this payment without this precise information. I also suggest that you folks make it a priority to have a page on the website that processes payment.
    Sorry about this information being missing in my post...total user error! I guess email addresses such as the "send money to" address needs to be spelled out in these forums? It is the email address: americancanyoneers at yahoo dot com

Others are working on figuring out a way to make an easy pay button. Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Just a couple items....
    You do NOT need a PayPal account to pay through PayPal. You just need a credit card. Only those receiving money are required to have an account.

I consider this matter closed. Why does American Canyoneers want to stir this pot? Why not just change the statement to "permits required to canyoneer inside Goblin Valley SP?"

Does American Canyoneers understand that by law Zion is required to keep certain areas closed to be used as a tool for measuring impact inside the park? Would you like to see the current areas opened at the expense of anther area?

This is pretty much a done deal, at least as far as outside input is concerned. The park is just dotting the I's, crossing the T's and counting the sheep and snakes....

Good points, Shane, and thanks for pointing out that you don't need an account for making a payment on Paypal...
    These examples of closed/regulated areas are simply that--examples. And the reason for describing what happened in Goblin Valley is to provide an example of how access can change very suddenly, and so it is something to be proactive about if possible.

Others are working on figuring out a way to make an easy pay button. Thanks for the suggestion.
    PayPal will do this for you.... it takes about 2 minutes to create a button and place it on your website. Let me know if you need help.

It is the email address: americancanyoneers at yahoo dot com
    You are also wasting your time in attempting to keep the email in a non-farmable format. If your organization has any success at all the address will be everywhere.

The "button" has been added to the American Canyoneers web site under membership, it took 5 minute...

WOLF

Here is the process that will occur next month for the vote of the Board of Directors. On 01 June, any member who would like to run for the board of director can submit there BIO and a brief statement on their vision for the direction of American Canyoneers. You will need to be a member by 23 June to vote for the BOD. Voting will start 24 June and end 30 June. Members will vote for 7 individuals to be part of the BOD. The top 4 directors (in terms of vote) will have a term of 2 yrs and the other three will have a 1 yr term. There after, we will have an election every year for board members for a 2 year term.

The membership letter on American Canyoneers web site has been updated to make it a little clearer.

WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    The "button" has been added to the American Canyoneers web site under membership, it took 5 minute...

WOLF
    Here is a link to the membership page with the Paypal "Donate" button added:
    http://www.americancanyoneers.org/membership/

I did notice this new tid-bit has been added....

If you have made past donations you are automatically a voting member.
    Nice.... .... not like $5 was going to hurt anyone... but those that donated to get the ball rolling should receive this benefit.