Thread: Utah's Predator-Control Incentive Program---"deer killer down"

Utah's Predator-Control Incentive Program---"deer killer down"

Info from Utah DWR website

http://wildlife.utah.gov/dwr/hunting...nformation/762

Utah's Predator-Control Incentive program

Frequently asked questions
    Our offices have received many phone calls and questions about Utah's new laws to control coyotes and other predators. This page provides details about the new Predator-Control Incentive program and addresses the most common questions. Please keep in mind that this information is subject to change and may be updated at any time. We encourage you to check back on a regular basis for the latest updates.
    How will the new predator-control program work?

This year, in addition to maintaining an aggressive predator-management policy, the DWR is implementing a general coyote-control program that provides incentives for members of the public to remove coyotes. Participants in this new program will receive $50 for each properly documented coyote that they kill in Utah. For details, see the rest of this FAQ page or download the fact sheet (126 KB PDF) and the map (382 KB PDF).
    When does the program begin?

You may register for the general coyote-control program starting July 1, 2012. There are no restrictions on removal dates after the program has begun, but reimbursements will not begin until after Sept. 1, 2012.
    How do I register for the program?

To register and receive compensation for coyote removal, you must follow the program rules and guidelines. Specifically, you must:
    [LIST=1][*]Complete the online training and registration that will be available on this Web page, starting July 1, 2012.[*]Present the coyote and the properly filled out compensation form to the DWR. The compensation form must include the GPS location where the coyote was taken, the identity of the person who took it, and the date of removal.[*]Check in a full pelt (plus the lower jaw) or a full carcass. Coyote ears will be marked by the DWR to prevent double payments. Disposal of carcasses is the responsibility of the program participant.[*]Check in coyote pelts and carcasses only at designated sites and on designated days and times.[*]Follow all rules and regulations related to trapping and firearm use, as detailed in the 2012

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

This isn't a 5 page thread yet? Just seems to me that nature balances itself out and pretty much any time we try to control/manage it we screw something up. *shrug*

*edit* I did enjoy the video though. I feel like coyotes are smarter than deer and admire their tenacity. Elusive prey is probably really hard to track and I can see the appeal it would have. Plus the $50 bonus would be nice.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Actually, Jake, one of the largest harvesters of coyotes has always been the State.(no balancing of nature)
    They employ several "government hunters/trappers" to control coyote and other predator populations.
    So--as a libertarian, ya gotta be proud of a program that transfers this to the private sector.(kinda)
    But I doubt the hunter/trapper jobs will be vacated. Nice to see a program that is funded by those mostly affected.
    Now--get out and shoot a bunch of yotes--

It's official. The "Bogley Admins" promote killing dogs now

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    Actually, Jake, one of the largest harvesters of coyotes has always been the State.(no balancing of nature)
    They employ several "government hunters/trappers" to control coyote and other predator populations.
    So--as a libertarian, ya gotta be proud of a program that transfers this to the private sector.(kinda)
    But I doubt the hunter/trapper jobs will be vacated. Nice to see a program that is funded by those mostly affected.
    Now--get out and shoot a bunch of yotes--
    Interesting. I would assume the biggest harvester would be natural causes, cold, starvation and all that. Cars too, see a lot dead on the side of the road. I just assumed the program was designed to get a "super boost" on the deer population, so hunters would be happy. But I don't know enough about the subject to have an opinion one way or the other though, see how many assumptions I make? Haha. I just agree that if you are hunting for sport and not food. An elusive coyote seems more appealing that a stupid rabbit or bird.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

A guy I used to work with has been running a trap line for coyotes this fall. As of last week he claims he is up to 13. Says he has been paid the $50 from the state and another $40 to some furrier.

9. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    Trapping Yotes is not the easiest thing in the world.
    Smart little buggers they are.
    If you want to ride let's ride and if you want an attitude well we just need to do some more ridding.
    Life is good and life is fare.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathcricket View Post
    Interesting. I would assume the biggest harvester would be natural causes, cold, starvation and all that. Cars too, see a lot dead on the side of the road. I just assumed the program was designed to get a "super boost" on the deer population, so hunters would be happy. But I don't know enough about the subject to have an opinion one way or the other though, see how many assumptions I make? Haha. I just agree that if you are hunting for sport and not food. An elusive coyote seems more appealing that a stupid rabbit or bird.
    I used to call/study/hunt these elusive little guys though not much in a long time partly due to laziness and partly because I called checkmate in their favor. Almost the opposite of wolves in that wolves just don't seem to be able to live around lots of humans well without protection. Coyotes do just fine, even with a bounty. Search coyotes in LA and you will see that there are hundreds of them living in downtown LA and they are not mixing with local pets but remain nearly genetically pure coyotes. In fact, cats and poodles what they eat there. Once again just search some official LA county and city pages and you will see what I am talking about. Coyotes live in cities, on the plains, near farms....just name it. Talk about smart and adaptive. After hunting them I have to say that everything else certainly rates as dumb comparatively speaking. They would outsmart me WAY more often than I would them though that may not be saying miuch. Sometimes after calling with no response I would get up to move; only to have one give a small howl as if letting me know that he sees me and it did not work. Like you DC I do not have the actual facts at my fingertips, but I am willing to bet that this makes little long term reduction in numbers. After all of the bounty, hunting, and trapping efforts to date.....they have only expanded their range and developed urban skills if that isn't too dorky of a term. They certainly get my respect. Good luck state of Utah in reducing the numbers. I don't think you will get there; overall and long term. I don't know the real answer but would bet that there are now more coyotes in the US than say, 160 years ago. I'm not sure if that number can actually be found and I'm not going to search it (I refer you to the first line where I proclaim my laziness) but I know they have outsmarted virtually all efforts to date; and I do mean outsmart.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertDuke View Post
    I used to call/study/hunt these elusive little guys though not much in a long time partly due to laziness and partly because I called checkmate in their favor. Almost the opposite of wolves in that wolves just don't seem to be able to live around lots of humans well without protection. Coyotes do just fine, even with a bounty. Search coyotes in LA and you will see that there are hundreds of them living in downtown LA and they are not mixing with local pets but remain nearly genetically pure coyotes. In fact, cats and poodles what they eat there. Once again just search some official LA county and city pages and you will see what I am talking about. Coyotes live in cities, on the plains, near farms....just name it. Talk about smart and adaptive. After hunting them I have to say that everything else certainly rates as dumb comparatively speaking. They would outsmart me WAY more often than I would them though that may not be saying miuch. Sometimes after calling with no response I would get up to move; only to have one give a small howl as if letting me know that he sees me and it did not work. Like you DC I do not have the actual facts at my fingertips, but I am willing to bet that this makes little long term reduction in numbers. After all of the bounty, hunting, and trapping efforts to date.....they have only expanded their range and developed urban skills if that isn't too dorky of a term. They certainly get my respect. Good luck state of Utah in reducing the numbers. I don't think you will get there; overall and long term. I don't know the real answer but would bet that there are now more coyotes in the US than say, 160 years ago. I'm not sure if that number can actually be found and I'm not going to search it (I refer you to the first line where I proclaim my laziness) but I know they have outsmarted virtually all efforts to date; and I do mean outsmart.
    Well said, they don't call him Mr. wiley coyote for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by REDFOX View Post
    Well said, they don't call him Mr. wiley coyote for nothing.
    Outsmarting me so far this winter

Quote Originally Posted by fourtycal View Post
    Outsmarting me so far this winter
    Probably would have helped to have someone along who actually could make a rabbit call sound like a rabbit... I have been practicing at home since I sucked so bad, the dogs love it. Those rabbits sure are easy to find though, hopefully they were delicious.
    So, Kid, you think you got what it takes to be a Punch King?

From the Utah DNR website

"Coyotes cause significant numbers of fawn deaths

Studies show that mule deer fawns make up a significant part of a coyote's diet during certain times of the year.
    Smith's study on the LaSal Mountains provides a glimpse into the number of deer fawns coyotes take. He found that 73 percent of the fawns that were born in the LaSal Mountains during the two years the study was conducted lived less than one year.
    Of the total number of fawns that died, coyotes accounted for 36 percent of the deaths.
    The study Karpowitz did on the Book Cliffs yielded similar results. He found that 37 percent of the fawns that were born were dead before they were one year old.
    Of the total number of fawns that died on the Book Cliffs, 44 percent were killed by coyotes."

hunters are always blamed for the decline in deer populations, but that is far from the truth.

#1 deer threat - coyotes
    #2 deer threat - cougars - they kill an average of 1 deer per week, with an estimated population of 3500 cougars. That is an average of 182,000 deer per year
    #3 deer threat - vehicles - estimate at 35,000 per year
    #4 deer threat - hunters - average of 23,000 per year

Reducing hunting numbers is the "politically correct" thing to do for increasing deer populations. The true way is to decrease the number of coyotes and lions which currently are at their all time high in recorded history

16. Likes Sandstone Addiction, oldno7 liked this post