Thread: Bluejohn Canyon_East to Main loop_May 19, 2012

Bluejohn Canyon_East to Main loop_May 19, 2012

Trip Report: (My first on the forum)

Canyon- BlueJohn Canyon
    Route- East canyon to Main canyon exit.
    Group- 4, Myself and 3 canyon greenies.
    Time- 8 hours, car to car.
    Canyon Conditions- Excellent, little water in some pot holes but nothing above the knee.

Name:  Rich in Bluejohn_crop.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  109.9 KB

Great canyon for a small group and to introduce newbies to the experience, (as long as they are athletic enough for the 5.9 section of Main)

Took a green group to hike Bluejohn canyon over the weekend. Weather conditions were almost perfect except for some little extra wind blowing sand. But that helped it stay cool.

Finding the Motel 6 trail head was challenging in the dark of night since I expected it to be right on the side of the main road. Rather, a short side road leads to a large camping/parking area around the shed. (Note: cell service could be found on the hill near the shed but not for at&t)

Hiking across the plateau to reach the entrance of East Bluejohn takes about 20-30 minutes and crosses a couple of washes/canyons before reaching East. Be careful not to drip down one of the earlier canyons.
    Name:  DSC00644.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  94.6 KB

The first Rappel is secured off a log (webbing and rappel ring were in good condition, but always check your own anchor)

A few pot holes had some water but it was shallow. There was a hand line(a little worn but sturdy) left at one of the drops. This is helpful but could probably be removed to clean things up.

Name:  James in Pothole_blujohn_low.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  76.7 KB
    Name:  Guys in bluejohn_low.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  71.9 KB
    Conditions were dry. The walk out the bottom of East and up the lower section of Main was sandy and deep. Energy sapping.

The hike out Main is beautiful and includes some great narrows and some climbing that adds an element of difficulty. These sections are easily climbed by someone with experience. Packs can be lined up and intimidated climbers can be belayed from above.
    Name:  DSC00680_low.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  60.5 KB

Hiking out the upper section of Main the canyon opens up into a sandy wash. In order to avoid the slog in the sand we exited the canyon and hiked along the plateau back to Motel 6.

8 hour trip: We held a good pace while hiking but stopped a while for lunch and several photo opp's etc.
    Fun trip, not too difficult, beautiful canyons.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Those who hang out in most any canyon country---Quickly learn---AT&t Sucks!!!

I've had Verizon for years and I get service in many places that friends with AT&T have none, just sayin'

And--Nice Trip Report

Nice trip report and pictures.

Nice report, and thanks for the update. My brother and I are doing the same route next week (5/30), then plan to do Mindbender the following day.

How quickly does the water in the canyon dry out, and does anyone have any recent info on the conditions in Mindbender? I haven't seen anything lately here or on Candition's site.

Nice TR! Looks like a good time.

How did your buddy like canyoneering in 5 Finger Shoes? How did the shoes hold up?

Bob
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Not sure about the water levels. This was my first time in this canyon. I assume it will be there a bit longer because the last rain was weeks ago.
    The wet spots were pretty low however.
    "Only those who chance going too far can possibly know how far they can go."

The five fingers work great on the rock. Traction is great If your feet can handle the miles. They are a fun option.

Down sides: no ankle protection, they fill with sand in the sandy sections(unless you get the sealed version) they are slick when wet, but most shoes are.
    "Only those who chance going too far can possibly know how far they can go."