Thread: Destination Ideas

Destination Ideas

May 24th-28th I'm planning to head down to Southern Utah to try backpacking a new canyon. Does anybody have any suggestions? Nothing too technical, as I will not be bringing rope. I would really like to try a new area, and i would really like to hear some of your favorite spots. Here are some of the canyons I've already backpacked: Coyote Gulch, Death Hollow, Dark Canyon, Escalante River. Also if anyone wants to join let me know. At this point it is looking like it will be a solo venture thanks to my friends canceling on me suddenly. :( I have heard great things about Grand Gulch and Buckskin, but I don't think i will be able to get a permit at this point.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Escalante area would be a good bet since there is wateraround. Also, some of the upper Paria canyons as well.

Some possibilities:

40 Mile/Willow
    Lower Death Hollow Loop
    The Gulch/Horse Canyon
    Little Death Hollow/Silver Falls
    Round Valley Draw/Hackberry Canyon

Gypsum Canyon is also great, but a bit rugged.

Unless you hit it during a cool period, Grand Gulch can be hot this time of year. Still OK, but water may be sparse. It's still not that hard to get a permit most of the time.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Halls Creek Narrow. Search on trip reports. There was a nice report on this last spring I think.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    I'd second the 40mile/Willow area

There was a nice report on this last spring I think.
    Maybe mine?

Anyway, Halls Creek Narrows is a good one, but if you go in late May/June bring a lightweight pair long pants or the horseflies will eat your legs alive. They don't bother you much with long pants. That would go for places like the Gulch/Horse Canyon, Hackberry and along the Escalante River as well.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

The Chute of Muddy Creek in The San Rafael Swell. An A+ hike. Similar to The Virgin Narrows.

Parunuweap (The Barricks) is a good one. Normally you can't do it this early in the year but I drove past this weekend and the East Fork of the Virgin looke mild.

Parunuweap Route Description

Thanks for the suggestions guys. The 40 Mile/Willow looks pretty sweet! Can you guys give me a little more information on it? What is the best route to take? Is it possible to make it a loop? Is it a very technical hike? Are permits required? Are dogs allowed? Thanks for your help.

The 40 Mile/Willow looks pretty sweet!

It's one of the best non-technical routes anywhere.

Can you guys give me a little more information on it?

Steve Allen has a good description in Canyoneering 3 as does Kelsey in the non-technical Guide to the Colorado Plateau.

What is the best route to take?
    Down 40 Mile and up Willow.

Is it possible to make it a loop?
    Yes.

Is it a very technical hike?
    No, but it has some fun stuff.

Are permits required?
    No.

You can see my trip report with many photos of the hike in the link below:

http://www.summitpost.org/adventures...-report/637939

It is certainly one of the best hikes out there.

Thanks for the info Scott. Looking at the length of that loop, it looks like it will only take a couple days to complete it. I was thinking of using the rest of my time this weekend to head over to Buckskin Gulch and dayhike from Wirepass to Whitehouse. My only problem is that I don't have a shuttle. Does anybody know of some good affordable shuttle services in that area? It would most likely be on Sunday, so I'm not sure if any shuttle services operate on Sunday?

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SRG View Post
    The Chute of Muddy Creek in The San Rafael Swell. An A+ hike. Similar to The Virgin Narrows.
    The Chute of Muddy Creek is a fine hike, but a poor substitute for the Zion Narrows. This year, might be dry by now, or close. I can tell you from experience, DRY, it is an exceptional trip, but not in a good way.

Outside of Zion, Cedar gnats and Green Flies are becoming a problem. Likely to get worse over the next couple of weeks.

Tom

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ut/nwis/uv...95,00300,63680

It's flowin. Less than usual obviously, but flowin.

We floated it last year around this time and it was freakin awesome, not a single boat drag. I'm sure it's a drastically different beast this year.