Thread: My Newest/Favoritist Canyon in Zion

We're all here, because we ain't all there.

My Newest/Favoritist Canyon in Zion

Well, as exploratory's go, the first one, we ran through rather quickly, leaving us with enough daylight to grab another piece of Zion History. It was close enough to the first that we proceeded with our wet/dry suits still on.(Tourist can spot "real" explorist's better if we leave these suits on)
    So--after flying across the marked crossing area, undetected by park officials patrolling this area, we entered our second target canyon of the day.
    It took some creative anchoring to get us past the first initial obstacles, once past them, we continued at a cautious pace. There was quite a bit of cold water and swims, but we were up to the task. We rapped a bit, swam a bit and documented this canyon with some photo's, taken in the darkest of light.
    Just as the canyon seemed to relent and open up a bit, I was leading out in search of a place to have lunch.( I only get to lead out when looking for lunch spots). Anyway, as I'm working my way around some incredible size boulders, I hear it first--Kurt..... I look around, see nothing, then the voice again, Kurt... it was coming from above---I glance up and lo and behold, what appears before me???? Canadians, lots and lots of Canadians!!! All lead by the most capable of Canadians, Kev......
    I presume they google earthed this same canyon, intercepted our phone calls and made a plan to tag this canyon ahead of us. Well, it worked. I could see they had a strong team and knew they had the advantage of being ahead of us, so we settled down for lunch as the explorist's from Canada trudged by our spot.
    I took a few pictures of them as they lead out ahead of us and watched in pure jealousy as they completed the final rap. AA was our first member down the final rap and it was as if the Canadians had disappeared into the sandstone jigsaw puzzle of boulders and tree's that lay before us and stood in the way of our team and a cold beer.
    Did we really see them?? Where they really there and more importantly, were they the real first descenders?
    We may never know.......
    This is just a typical day in the life of us pioneers trying to explore new routes in Zion...
    Attached Images Attached Images                     

2. Likes blueeyes liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

No...not Canadians...

Great shots!

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    I ran into that Canadian today!

Nice pics Kurt.
    Chere'

Another great trip report! Damn man, you are the master explorer! I think your team name your be AA after your 2nd leader andy, then you could be the "AA-Team". Very catchy!
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

It looks like I need to look into some of the more obscure Zion canyons for this summer (and whenever else after that). Looks awesome; great pics!