Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ringtail, Neon, Choprock May 13-14, 2012

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili View Post
    I took the wife down to do Coyote Gulch last fall and afterwards we hiked into the Golden Cathedral (she wont go canyoneering with me but she'll punch out 50 miles with me over a weekend without breaking a sweat!). When we entered the Golden Cathedral we came upon a guided group from Australia. The first guy they sent down the line got stuck in a knot about 10 feet above the pool. We ate our sandwiches and watched for 20 minutes as the guide up on top tried to talk him out of it. Finally he ordered the guy to cut the rope and he plunged into the pool.

Pretty dangerous but very entertaining!
    "Guide" has a very specific meaning. Did you mean guide?

I don't know anyone with the permit to guide Neon who cannot solve this kind of a problem in a few minutes at most... but there might be some out there.

Tom

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    Not much of a guide--if he can't easily fix a minor problem!!!

Sounds more like lack of preparation/knowledge.
    Whenever we have been with less experienced canyoneers or "first timers" we will send them down on a single line and anchor off the other end with a fig 8 and lock it off. That way we can unlock and lower them down in such an event as described previously. I personally have not ever had to use the system but it would have saved this guy's poor rope!

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    "Guide" has a very specific meaning. Did you mean guide?

I don't know anyone with the permit to guide Neon who cannot solve this kind of a problem in a few minutes at most... but there might be some out there.

Tom
    Never did see anyone else in the group - just heard him barking orders from the top. It was getting pretty late in the day (we got back right at dusk) so I am sure that weighed in on his decision to cut the line.

Never did see anyone else in the group - just heard him barking orders from the top. It was getting pretty late in the day (we got back right at dusk) so I am sure that weighed in on his decision to cut the line.
    So you did not mean "guide". You meant a guy taking his friends through the canyon that was over his head.

Sorry to jump on this picayune point. Those of us who are actually guides take the craft seriously, and would like all y'alls to know that some guy who has been rappelling once and takes his buds through a canyon is not a "guide".

Tom

So you did not mean "guide". You meant a guy taking his friends through the canyon that was over his head.

Sorry to jump on this picayune point. Those of us who are actually guides take the craft seriously, and would like all y'alls to know that some guy who has been rappelling once and takes his buds through a canyon is not a "guide".
    leading/leader is probably a better general term.

"Designated canyon leader". Ha ha.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    "Designated canyon leader". Ha ha.
    haha good point!

Tom
    The group was from Australia and I am 90% certain that they were with a Guide of some sort. I talked with the kid for a few minutes or so and even ended up emailing him some photos of his unfortunate prediciment. Unfortunately I cannot recall any names but I will try to email him and see what information I can gather.

The group was from Australia and I am 90% certain that they were with a Guide of some sort. I talked with the kid for a few minutes or so and even ended up emailing him some photos of his unfortunate prediciment. Unfortunately I cannot recall any names but I will try to email him and see what information I can gather.
    In which case he was a "Pirate Guide". Hope he shared some RUM with ya, matey!!!

Tom