Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ringtail, Neon, Choprock May 13-14, 2012

Ringtail, Neon, Choprock May 13-14, 2012

My canyoneering partner and I had a bone to pick with Ringtail canyon. Last time we were there we were stopped by the first keeper pot hole.(http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...-Nov-5-and-6-B) We should have potshotted from above. Instead we attempted to work our way out from below-no way. At the shallowest point the water in the pothole came to my chest and it was cold in my 5 mm wetsuit. At the down canyon end of the hole, I could not touch bottom. The lip was at least 4 slippery feet above the water. My partner Jasper submerged for the bottom and never found it and he is 6'3". We tried tossing various objects but everything slid back into the pothole. After an hour of screwing around, it was time to turn tail and reascend our blocked rope. We vowed to return another day.

That day was Sunday May 13. We were joined by Jane Bowman, M.D. and Carol Petrelli who responded to our call for partners on the Yahoo Canyoneering group. We met up with them at the Egypt trail head May 12. We found them at dusk and they had their stove going and cooked up a couple of quesadilla for us which we washed down with a lovely boxed wine. It beat the heck out out the freeze dried food that was going to be on the menu.

The next morning we poured ourselves down the fence canyon trail with all our gear, quickly set up camp, and sorted gear for our canyons. Ringtail was first up.

The approach to Ringtail is a short scamper up the slick rock just to the south of the mouth of Ringtail canyon. We descended to the technical start. Myself, Jane and Carol rapped in and Jasper down climbed. This canyon was bone dry. When we were in there Nov 2010 the water level was easily 8 feet higher and everything was a swimmer. Quickly we came to the first keeper pothole, now a very different beast. From above we tossed a potshot and Jasper rapped in. This hole yielded to the addition of a pack. The second keeper was defeated with partner assists. Then it was on to the spooky, dark section before the canyon opened up and we found a nice lunch spot. Jane went back to camp and three of us proceeded to Neon.

That afternoon we did the sports route through Neon and ran into Tom Jones and three other canyoneers. They let us play thorough. The canyon was in very dry condition and rapidly we found ourselves rapping into the last (first) pothole. At the far end was the keeper lip. However, a heavy forked tree branch was carefully setup at this lip making a perfect ladder. After climbing out we debated the wisdom of pranking Tom and his party by removing the tree limb but ultimately decided against this course. First we reasoned that the pothole would readily yield to partner assist and secondly, I get my cayoneering ropes from Tom and I did not want him to get any ideas (you know like a 100 ft rope that is actually 93 feet long).

We returned to camp to find that the racoons had gotten into Carol's pack eating all her bars. Before dusk we were also visited by Tom who we plied with margarita.

Monday May 14, it was on to Choprock. We left camp about 8 AM and got as far as Choprock canyon proper before turning around and going back to the Cowboy camp. We ascended the slick rock and worked our way into the canyon to the South of Choprock. From there we gained a mesa and finally arrived to the cliff bands above the route into Choprock. We worked our way down class III bands to the slick rock to find a ramp that led into the bottom of the canyon. From here it was a short trip down canyon to the 60 foot rap into the Riparian section. We suited or partially suited up at this point. At some point, I stopped in the happy section and put on my 3/2 wetsuit over my 2 mm neo pants and rash guard. I also wore 3 mm gloves and 2.5 mm neo socks. Other party members were layered to about the same degree. We stayed warm with these layers. There were plenty of swims even though it was clear that the water was quite low. The grim section lives up to its reputation: too much of every thing you want. There were plenty of down climbs, elevators, squeezes, partner assist pothole, dark swims. I personally was happy to be there in less challenging conditions. All together, we were 12 hours camp to camp. During the day, I notice my brand new Osprey Hornet 32 liter pack was not doing well in canyon. I figured it would take some abuse but it was trashed. I was not sure it was going to hold my gear before the end of the day but it just made it. I think I will be making use of the "All Mighty Warranty."

Returning to camp, we again found that we had been raided by the racoons. This time it was freeze dried dinner, breakfasts, and virtually anything edible out of Jasper's pack. Fortunately I had more than enough food to cover the loss. We chilled down the six pack of Dale's Pale Ales Jasper and I had carried down and relaxed in the fading sun light. Great canyons and great company.

Ken
    Attached Images Attached Images                                      

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Sounds like a good time! Uh, no photos? Did you take your $10,000 camera down Choprock?

On second thought, really, I hope you did.

Bob
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    Sounds like a good time! Uh, no photos? Did you take your $10,000 camera down Choprock?

On second thought, really, I hope you did.

Bob
    Bob

I left the leica home and took the canon in the water case. The photos are up. Please let me know if you still can't see the pictures and I will let the web masters know.

Ken

Sorry folks, I think the Picasa photos are now up and visible. If you are having any trouble seeing them still, please let me know.

Thanks

Ken

No Pics

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    No Pics
    This sucks. Sombeech looked at the thread and said it was working. But I also notice that Picasa does not show on my iPhone. I am going to rework the post and put up the photos individually. Mark can you let me know what platform you are viewing the site on?

Thanks

Ken

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Nice pics and TR.
    using chrome here.

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    Nice pics and TR.
    using chrome here.
    Kurt

Thanks. For the technologically challenged, I have also added the site managed images. It is not as elegant has just using the picasa app but at least the pictures are there.

Ken

There up now, I have to get there sometime.

Awesome!!!!

Awesome! I really need to get to Choprock sometime.
    --Cliff

Doctor Ken; Nice Photos and Report; the Escalante in the spring can be a most lovely place (and mayhem can follow too). I just imagine the rodents were fiesty plump squirrel. I've seen them there before and experienced much damage/distress in some Escalante zones and in the Zion area. The heavy traffic in Fence, the food aroma and the variety of treats is a most certain lure for the critters. Unfortunate to have gear damaged and food lost.

Choprock is an endeavor, the approach up onto the bench, the long walk and then the drop in; then lots of stemming, climbing, dropping and swimming. Calls for plenty of partner cooperation and assistance at times. A lead party may assist in placing ropes, but a following party may be lodging a number of partner assists - lots of effort expended by some or all in the group.

Don't know what the future holds for Fence (camping), Neon, Ringtail, Baker. BLM/ Glen Cyn looking/watching; commercial guiding, user numbers ramp up, disbursed camping impact? For the last decade, it's been a fun destination. In recent years though in May, it sometimes is a commotion of bodies, at least in May.

Got a debriefing from one in the/your group. The LA duo (you) was/were highly complimented, a real pleasure (joy) to meet and associate with you...the speaker said. Personally I suggested that you and partners, appear in Zion soon, so some of us could join with you there in that setting and in the canyons. (Zion is closer to LA)
    And Springdale is a lovely family town for those that don't wish to dangle on lines. Hopefully it will happen this season, in spite of family and busy work ties.

Quote Originally Posted by reflection View Post
    Doctor Ken; Nice Photos and Report; the Escalante in the spring can be a most lovely place (and mayhem can follow too). I just imagine the rodents were fiesty plump squirrel. I've seen them there before and experienced much damage/distress in some Escalante zones and in the Zion area. The heavy traffic in Fence, the food aroma and the variety of treats is a most certain lure for the critters. Unfortunate to have gear damaged and food lost.
    Yes big, big squirrels with big black eyes. Actually I did not eyeball the creatures. However, they were able to operate the pack zippers. We had been told that there was a family of raccoons in the area and the damage looked pretty consistent with that. Unfortuately where the zipper did not provide the desired access, they torn right into the pack. Fortunately they did not get into the tequila and my supplies, which included the beer, were suspended on 2mm spectra line between trees.

Don't know what the future holds for Fence (camping), Neon, Ringtail, Baker. BLM/ Glen Cyn looking/watching; commercial guiding, user numbers ramp up, disbursed camping impact? For the last decade, it's been a fun destination. In recent years though in May, it sometimes is a commotion of bodies, at least in May.
    Funny that you mention that. Normally we try to go in the shoulder season rather than prime time. I couldn't get there earlier because I was traveling in Asia in March and April. I have told friends that if the Hole in the Rock Road was paved, the area would be a National Park. I hope that does not come to pass. So I agree that the need to manage the highly impacted camp areas will inevitably lead land managers to impose some type of quote on the area, which is at the same time, a shame, understandable, and probably necessary. The Fence camp site is also heavily impacted by human waste.

Got a debriefing from one in the/your group. The LA duo (you) was/were highly complimented, a real pleasure (joy) to meet and associate with you...the speaker said. Personally I suggested that you and partners, appear in Zion soon, so some of us could join with you there in that setting and in the canyons. (Zion is closer to LA)
    And Springdale is a lovely family town for those that don't wish to dangle on lines. Hopefully it will happen this season, in spite of family and busy work ties.
    Thank you for that but I can assure you the feelings were mutual. Not only were Carol and Jane very strong in the Canyon but they were also very efficient back country travelers. Overall a very positive experience meeting up with strangers and spending quality time in an amazing setting with very able individuals. I am not sure what the summer will hold. Jasper and I are thinking about Kolob, Imlay, and Heaps. I have a nice, new, shiny 300 ft Sterling Canyon IV rope purchased with a single rappel in mind. It is absolutely amazing how life and work interfere with one's ability to have quality time in the canyons.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by spinesnaper View Post
    It is absolutely amazing how life and work interfere with one's ability to have quality time in the canyons.
    Now that's the truth right there.
    --Cliff

Very nice. I do love Choprock!
    Life is Good

edit

I took the wife down to do Coyote Gulch last fall and afterwards we hiked into the Golden Cathedral (she wont go canyoneering with me but she'll punch out 50 miles with me over a weekend without breaking a sweat!). When we entered the Golden Cathedral we came upon a guided group from Australia. The first guy they sent down the line got stuck in a knot about 10 feet above the pool. We ate our sandwiches and watched for 20 minutes as the guide up on top tried to talk him out of it. Finally he ordered the guy to cut the rope and he plunged into the pool.

Pretty dangerous but very entertaining!
    Last edited by Chili; 05-28-2012 at 12:02 AM. Reason: misspell

Nice pics & TR!
    THX for sharing.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili View Post
    When we entered the Golden Cathedral we came upon a guided group from Australia. The first guy they sent down the line got stuck in a knot about 10 feet above the pool. We ate our sandwiches and watched for 20 minutes as the guide up on top tried to talk him out of it. Finally he ordered the guy to cut the rope and he plunged into the pool.

Pretty dangerous but very entertaining!
    Not much of a guide--if he can't easily fix a minor problem!!!

Sounds more like lack of preparation/knowledge.

Awesome TR,, great pics, choprock and neon on our list for this summer/fall...
    Stop checking my spelling! I know I suck but I amn't in school anymor, so back off.