Thread: Mount Raymond from Butler Fork

Mount Raymond from Butler Fork

I got off to a later start than I had wanted with this hike...I wanted to get some early morning pics of the sun hitting the peaks, but 6:49 was too late. Still, it was a great day for a hike. I chose the Butler Fork Trailhead for my starting point. Made it nearly to the top before quitting with .23 miles to go (measured by GPS). The lower trail up towards Mill A Basin had some patches of snow, and then approaching the saddle between Raymond and Gobblers Knob there were some large patches of snow, easily crossed--about a foot deep. From there I was able to catch glimpses of Mt. Raymond and knew there might be some difficulty getting to the top because I could see some large patches of snow along the ridge. Sure enough, when I got to the ridge and looked up, there was a lot of snow on the northwest side and actually partially overhanging the southeast side, so that the trail that began up the ridge vanished underneath the snow and only showed itself for a brief few feet later. I could see where some brave soul(s) had traversed the snow and made it to the top, but at that point, I decided that since I was alone, had no cell phone, and was the caregiver for my disabled wife, I wouldn't risk going further. It sucked to stop that close. I think if I was up there today, I'd have gone for it, but left my back pack and everything else stashed so that I had my full ability to catch myself if I began slipping. The snow was mushy and was collapsing in places and as I had tried following the footsteps of someone who'd been up there earlier in the week, I had slipped through in a place or two and I just didn't trust walking on the snow. So now, here's the pics, only I can't figure out how to add captions to them, so I'll try and make a list of what they are:
    1). Mt. Raymond
    2). Twin Peaks, etc.
    3). Another view of Raymond
    4). Gobblers Knob
    5). Quakies bent over trail by avalanche
    6). The Quakies were just barely getting their leaves
    7). The ridge and trail to Gobblers Knob
    8). Looking down from Raymond to the saddle between Raymond and Gobblers
    9). Looking up the ridge on Raymond. Still a lot of snow on the northern edge
    10). A better glimpse of the ridge
    11). The last .23 to the top
    12). That's me sitting on the north side, just below the ridge. That snow was about five feet deep at that point.
    13). The last place the trail was visible, except for a brief appearance later.
    14). Looking at the amount of snow on the Millcreek side, I was glad I chose the trail I chose.
    15). I got a good view of the entire south side of Big Cottonwood. Still a lot of snow at Broad's Fork, the Lake Blanche Trail, Mineral Fork, etc.
    Attached Images Attached Images                

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

How was the snow going up the switchbacks to the saddle where one can break off to Circle-All Peak?

Great shots! Crazy snowpack now, compared to this time last year...(as in nearly none, to, huge).

I'm actually not sure where Circle-All Peak is. I'd heard of it, but ran out of time trying to locate my map in the morning so I just hiked without it. But if it's where I'm thinking it is, there were only patches of snow, maybe 20-30 feet long that I had to traverse here and there. No more than 1-1.5 feet deep. It's nearly gone on all the switch backs.

Okay, so Circle All is that peak that's along the trail to Gobblers. The one I thought was Gobblers the first time I ever went up that trail, until I saw Gobblers further on. Got it. I saw no snow up there at all, but didn't climb up that way at all on this trip, so there could've been some small pockets I just couldn't see from my vantage point.

Edited to add: As I just reread your post, the switchbacks going up to that saddle had the 20-30 feet long areas of snow mentioned in my previous post. It'll probably be most or all gone by the end of next week.

Great! Thanks for the snow report.

That's a favorite hike of mine. I keep busting down that stinging nettle on the sides of that trail and over the years, seems to help a bit.

I like the loop from Butler that goes over to Dog Lake (around Reynolds) and back down Mill D. Bit of pavement, but, not a bad jog down the road back to the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    Great! Thanks for the snow report.

That's a favorite hike of mine. I keep busting down that stinging nettle on the sides of that trail and over the years, seems to help a bit.
    I didn't notice it...but I guess I didn't touch it either, thank goodness.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    I like the loop from Butler that goes over to Dog Lake (around Reynolds) and back down Mill D. Bit of pavement, but, not a bad jog down the road back to the car.
    I haven't tried that one, but I'll add it to the list. I've been up to Dog Lake once via Mill D, and once from the Millcreek side, but never made a loop like that. I'll be trying it. I've also been up the Mill D trail to Desolation a time or two.

Just for clarification, I now know where Circle-All Peak is, and it's not the false Gobblers Knob I mentioned in my earlier post, even though when I googled it, that's what I came up with. Now, I looked at my map and found it and it's nowhere near Gobblers, more down by the highway. I just wanted to clear that up in case any unknowing hikers chanced upon this thread. Brian, I can hear you laughing at me now.