Page 61 of 70 FirstFirst ... 11515960616263 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,220 of 1389

Thread: Stocks

Mountain Man
    Keeping on the dumb money Robinhood trading platform, there was a Chinese social media ticker that skyrocketed recently. Same scenario as NKLA. Watching Robinhood names and making momentum trades just off that is worth exploring.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Chicken little here, checking in. The Fed's comments yesterday about keeping rates at zero until (or through, I forget) 2022 also has rattled. That's an admission of no fast recovery and continued printing that'll weaken the dollar.

In the first selloff we saw the dollar rally strongly, as safe haven status and a rush to cash does that. If we see both a dollar weakness and market turmoil to the downside, that tells the story of bad fundamentals and too much cash floating around. Not good.

Quote Originally Posted by dougrz View Post
    Chicken little here, checking in. The Fed's comments yesterday about keeping rates at zero until (or through, I forget) 2022 also has rattled. That's an admission of no fast recovery and continued printing that'll weaken the dollar.

In the first selloff we saw the dollar rally strongly, as safe haven status and a rush to cash does that. If we see both a dollar weakness and market turmoil to the downside, that tells the story of bad fundamentals and too much cash floating around. Not good.

Expect to see a rush on gold again. This is great news for those of us invested in GDX and Barrick.

Also expect to see a whipsaw snapback tomorrow since today's selloff is way too severe. (Any reaction in the stock market is an overreaction).
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    Expect to see a rush on gold again. This is great news for those of us invested in GDX and Barrick.

Also expect to see a whipsaw snapback tomorrow since today's selloff is way too severe. (Any reaction in the stock market is an overreaction).
    You would think so. I'm trying to get a better understanding of gold production and supply vs monetary demand vs industrial and jewelry demand. And what gold might be correlated to historically. Other currencies and other countries can also become havens. Lot of moving parts. Add in that high gold prices beget more mining activity as marginal plays become profitable. Hence miners might be the best play. They're levered on the gold price anyway.

Since I design about half the stuff that goes to Barrick Gold Strike I'm good with that. I think they should hurry up and add a couple more crusher and mill buildings, several thousand feet of conveyor's would also be nice.

I'm currently working on a couple of conveyors and magnet stations going out the Round Mountain Gold.

7. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by dougr View Post
    Keeping on the dumb money Robinhood trading platform, there was a Chinese social media ticker that skyrocketed recently. Same scenario as NKLA. Watching Robinhood names and making momentum trades just off that is worth exploring.

I just read this comical article about the average RobinHood day trader, and thought of you. Enjoy!

Low-information 'investors' rule the stock market -- at least until they lose every cent

Today 3:42 PM ET (MarketWatch)
    By Howard Gold, MarketWatch

Robinhood and day-trading newbies already are getting their comeuppance.

In 1929, the story goes, Joseph P. Kennedy, patriarch of the Kennedy clan, went for a shoeshine not far from his Wall Street office. Kennedy was stunned when the shoeshine man gave stock tips to him, a leading trader. He immediately returned to his office and aggressively short-sold stocks, making a fortune in the Great Crash.

This is probably an apocryphal tale that points to a larger truth: When even shoeshine men are so confident in their bullishness they give stock tips to the pros, it's time to run for the hills.
    This week we've seen plenty of signs of this. As the Nasdaq Composite hit all-time highs, briefly closing above 10,000 (nearly double its bubble top from the year 2000), and the Dow Jones Industrial Average and S&P 500 both came within shouting distance of their February record peaks, day traders and newbies emerged, proclaiming their stock-picking genius.
    This testosterone-driven overconfidence -- and research shows men are more reckless investors than women (https://business.rice.edu/wisdom/pee...-men-and-women) -- has been most pronounced on Robinhood, the commission-free stock trading app preferred by millennials who can make all the trades they want at the tap of their thumbs.

The tale of Robinhood

According to Crunchbase, the Menlo Park, Calif.-based brokerage has raised $1.2 billion altogether. On the strength of three million new customers in the first quarter, it just raised $280 million in a late funding round led by Silicon Valley heavyweight Sequoia Capital. Robinhood has more than 10 million customers (https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/09/robi...rs-missed.html) whose average age is 31.It has been having an outsized impact on stock trading. An analyst at Deutsche Bank recently examined Robinhood trading data and found that small investors were behind much of the recent buying (https://nypost.com/2020/06/10/small-...onavirus-surge/) in the stock market, so that what we used to call the "smart money" is "now chasing" the day traders. Talk about the caboose pulling the train!

Gone are the days of COVID-19 lockdowns and fears of bodies piling up in emergency rooms. Long forgotten are the 40 million unemployed Americans, the 40% of businesses that may not reopen and the "long road" to recovery that a gloomy Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell laid out in his news conference Wednesday. And don't even think about the new wave of coronavirus cases and hospitalizations we're seeing in at least a dozen U.S. states. Oh, no, instead the day traders are sampling and remixing those hits of the 1930s, "We're in the Money" and "Happy Days Are Here Again."

And these mini-Masters of the Universe aren't just buying the Apples (AAPL) and Teslas (TSLA) of the world; they're gobbling up stocks of bankrupt companies like Hertz (HTZ) and those whose businesses are in deep trouble, like American Airlines Group (AAL). Both of those stocks and others beaten down badly in the coronavirus bear market have rallied sharply over the past few weeks.

Better than Buffett?

No doubt these very astute people have done deep dives into balance sheets, loan covenants and capital structures the way distressed debt and deep value investors do to make sure they're protected on the downside. Oh, wait. Screw the guardrails. Damn the torpedoes. Traders on Robinhood and other instant-trading platforms are wagering hundreds maybe a few thousand bucks at a time and are beating the pants off the pros.One leading day trader who's particularly proud of himself is Dave Portnoy, the successful founder of Barstool Sports, who thinks his prowess over the last, oh, six weeks or so, has made him better than ... Warren Buffett.

"I'm the new breed. I'm the new generation," he crowed (http://www.marketwatch.com/story/war...yed-2020-06-09). "There's nobody who can argue that Warren Buffett is better at the stock market than I am right now. I'm better than he is. That's a fact."
    This column has recently taken Buffett to task (http://www.marketwatch.com/story/dud...era-2020-05-14) for his performance over the past decade. Three of his recent investments lost at least $7 billion, and he clearly sold airline stocks at the bottom (http://www.marketwatch.com/story/her...cks-2020-05-26). But really, Dave, really? He sounds like he's auditioning to host a revival of "The Apprentice."
    The day trading is definitely a sign of the times. As Anthony Denier, CEO of trading platform Webull, told the New York Post: "We're all home. Some people are making bread, and some are saying, 'Hey, how can I make the stock market work for me?' And with the Fed [pumping money] into the markets, they're thinking 'How can I lose?' "
    How? Let me count the ways, starting with today, with the Dow down almost 2,000 points. Who knows if this is profit taking or whether we're heading for another leg down in stocks? But some of us remember the 1990s, the days of theglobe.com and "boot your broker" and guys in their basements trading Yahoo stock dozens of times a day. You can "OK boomer" me all you want, but I've seen this movie many times and it never has a happy ending.

Howard R. Gold is a MarketWatch columnist. Follow him on Twitter @howardrgold (https://twitter.com/howardrgold?lang=en).

9. Likes Iceaxe liked this post
    I just read this comical article about the average RobinHood day trader, and thought of you. Enjoy!
    Great article. Thanks for posting this, rock. Forwarding this to several people.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/lo...ent-2020-06-11

I might be a dead wrong chicken little on the resiliency of this country and the intelligence of the voters this fall. But the penalty factor is too high for such minimal gains given these extended valuations.

The Portnoy quote: “I’m the new breed. I’m the new generation,” he crowed. “There’s nobody who can argue that Warren Buffett is better at the stock market than I am right now. I’m better than he is. That’s a fact.”

OMG.

Hahaha... I've also seen this movie before. When stocks are skyrocketing it's hard not to lose money, but when things turn ugly you had better watch out :-)

Hmm, thanks for telling me about this. I have not heard about this from my friends. Is there evidence that this broker is a scam? In general, I have never even heard of your trading platform and this is very strange because in three months of trading I managed to try to work on a variety of platforms. By the way, are you trading in stocks of companies? I prefer the forex industry because there is stability. Even now, you can earn big money there despite the instability of the currency market. In addition, it is very important to use platforms such as Investous forex because there are no such scams. Try trading on this platform and you will like the result.

I'm getting a sense we're going to start seeing smart, large money exit stocks. Repeal of the Trump tax cuts and large re-regulation are going to dampen earnings a lot.

I'm getting a sense we're going to start seeing smart, large money exit stocks. Repeal of the Trump tax cuts and large re-regulation are going to dampen earnings a lot.
    Nah...everybody will keep tryin' to make money. Who knows what will happen when the election is over.

Trump wins, I think it skyrockets. Dems win...well, fear not. There will be winners and losers. The lobbyists will be out in full force greasing palms, and then I reckon we'll get to see just how liberal the oligarchs are. Cuz that's who will be controlling the country.
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

15. Likes oldno7, rockgremlin liked this post
    Trump wins and it will skyrocket, yes. The market is increasingly pricing in a Dem sweep. Going to be many years of muted returns. Sure there will be winners and losers, but a rising market lifting all boats there will not be. Only smart, nimble investors will do well going forward. Going to be an ugly next many decades.

Trump wins and it will skyrocket, yes. The market is increasingly pricing in a Dem sweep. Going to be many years of muted returns. Sure there will be winners and losers, but a rising market lifting all boats there will not be. Only smart, nimble investors will do well going forward. Going to be an ugly next many decades.

You must a short seller.

Blue Star...Blue Star Airlines.

You must a short seller. 8:
    Actually no, I've rarely ever shorted.

Biggest thing I am is profoundly sad about the state of the citizenry. When I talk to my young relatives fighting for Trump and trying to save the country from the far left, it's hard to keep a straight face. We're so far gone. Same type of convo I have with all of you. "We can do it, hold off the literal communists for another few years." Meanwhile nearly the entire apparatus of govt, pop culture, media, the biz world, education, sport, and anything that touches young minds is radically anti-American and anti-freedom. Factories of the left. We have 1/3 and probably only 1/4 of families turning out actual Americans anymore.

That underlying belief drives my market thinking to a large extent, obviously.

"We can do it, hold off the literal communists for another few years." Meanwhile nearly the entire apparatus of govt, pop culture, media, the biz world, education, sport, and anything that touches young minds is radically anti-American and anti-freedom. Factories of the left. We have 1/3 and probably only 1/4 of families turning out actual Americans anymore.
    Y'know dougrz, the "next election cycle" seems to be all we have anyway...let's just get thru the next four years. Been like that for a long time.

These liberals sure are making a lot of noise. They're standing on top of the biggest hill in town and shouting at the top of their lungs, no doubt about that. But they've made a critical mistake in that they're talking nonsense and have taken it too far. That shit NEVER wins the day. They're showing us their true face and it's ugly as hell.

My opinion is that come November, the liberals in Congress are going to get slaughtered. While they may have votes locked up in the cities, they don't have it in the entire state. Those people that live out there are going to vote for this crap not to come near them. Add to that MOST of the people that live in these cities that are not down with this nonsense, either. These liberal politicians are corrupt liars, backstabbers that talk out both sides of their mouths. Everyone can see that.

Yeah, they make a lot of noise, but I think you give them too much credit.

My concern with this has only been to watch them go completely berserk...and the thing about people going off the rails like that is you just don't know what they might do next. America is not going to let psychotic freaks call the shots.

Just gimme 4 1/2 years, man. Just 4 1/2 years.

21. Likes Iceaxe liked this post
    I've been researching some insurance names that were whacked and have not rallied with the market. The big risk overhang is Business Interruption coverage and liabilities.

Dems in several states, and now a Fed level push, are starting to demand retroactive Wuhan virus payouts regardless of contract language. The market is wisely pricing in a progressive legal landscape in the future, where law and contract clauses and the Constitution take a back seat to political forces.

My basic argument has been just that, for investing as a whole in this country. Call me a "sky is falling" idiot, but the progressive future looks clear to me, with its punishment of success and transfer of wealth to the non-working or politically connected.

One story of many on this issue: https://www.insurancebusinessmag.com...rs-219690.aspx

Just ask yourself if such a risk overhang is counterbalanced by a like reward scenario. Carry on.

One story of many on this issue: https://www.insurancebusinessmag.com...rs-219690.aspx

Just ask yourself if such a risk overhang is counterbalanced by a like reward scenario. Carry on.
    Wouldn't that be something? The great American experiment collapses because it lawyered itself to death.

Those insurance companies ain't going anywhere. It would go all the way to the SC and no matter who is Prez or controlling Congress they'd be bailed out anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Iceaxe prediction... the Dow will be back above 28,000 before September.

/Bookmarked
    The above quote is from February 28th just after stock prices fell off a cliff. I'm still predicting we'll be back over 28,000 by September. As of this morning the DJIA is back over 27,000.

Market shorts are getting crushed right now. The analyst monkeys have been screaming for over a month about how the market is going to crash again... and yet here we are, going up almost every day.

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Outdoor Forum