Page 13 of 70 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: Stocks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    I'm convinced that the folks who create immense amounts of wealth for themselves in the markets all have...information...that the rest of us aren't privy to. Lets just say everyone I know with a Harvard or Wharton MBA does pretty well... Its an insiders club.

That doesn't mean the table scraps aren't worth pickin' through.

Here's to fat returns to the next 2-3 years!
    Yes and no, I agree information is king, but the info can come wearing many different hats.

For example their is very little in the US mining and energy sectors that I don't know about loooong before the average Joe. I know who's planing to expand or invest, I know who's going to be drilling and where, I know who is on top of high grade ore, I know who and wear the elecrticity is going to be coming from by who and where substations are being built. Who is adding to their refining capabilities, who is build new crushers and mill buildings, who has pipelines on the board, yada, yada. I know all this months before it is announced to the public.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    How about Brexit?

any market reaction to politics?
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    How about Brexit?

any market reaction to politics?
    You mean the record highs?

https://www.theguardian.com/business...x-brexit-gains

I mean the fall and rise, both were created by politics,,Correct?
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

And, given the memo was a bit of a big nothing burger.
    What?!?

How can that be possible? Chuck and Nancy were plastered all over #FakeNews telling anyone who would listen that release of the memo would destroy the Republic as we know it.

The only thing the memo did was verify everything Sean Hannity, among others, had been saying for the past 6 months, which is also why I think the memo had almost zero effect of the stock market. Anyone watching the news already knew what was in it, their was no hidden easter egg in the memo.

And while I have your attention on Brexit---

I guess you are aware a US president tried to sway the vote of a foreign country?

You're willfully being ignorant and willfully dodging your false statement " I'm not sure the politics of the country can really rock the financial boat."

President Obama’s warning to those championing Britain’s exit from the EU was stark: Leave, he said, and the “U.K. is going to be in the back of the queue” on trade deals with the U.S.

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2016/04/obamas-brexit-plea/479469/
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

I've given you examples of how US politics, greatly affected markets.

care to reverse your false statement yet, or should we just believe you cause......

YOUR QUOTE:
    I'm not sure the politics of the country can really rock the financial boat.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

And---the short list is of those events that had a negative effect, you can google political events that had a positive one.

I'll even help you with something recently---Trump tax reform...

I'm guessing you were on the boat of "Trump will crash the market"
    No, I didn't think Trump would crash the market. Some folks close to me (ha ha) did. I think they were hoping for any indication that he was the wrong choice for the country. And...they still are.

Also, I think we're talking about a couple of different ideas. Politics, in general, the arguing, posturing, propaganda...versus actual events.

So... Politics: "the activities associated with the governance of a country or other area, especially the debate or conflict among individuals or parties having or hoping to achieve power."

My point is that the debate and/or conflict doesn't drive the market. Events certainly can. Political discourse preceding or following events...not so much.

Which is why I think "the memo", and its conversational impact, had little to nothing to do with the market. It was partisan politics is all. Not a significant event. Now, if an event resulted from "the memo"...maybe, but, since it again was a big nothing burger, there isn't one on the horizon.

The Trump tax reform could have a fairly significant impact. The changing of the tax code is an event. Driven by politics? Yeah, ok. One thing can lead to another. Remains to be seen, but, my bet is corporate America will adapt and make money from this change to taxes.

Which is why my hope that this little micro bubble pop correction is short term, and, that the long term will show gain rather than a continued drop.

Anyhow...I think we're disagreeing on two different ideas. Events certainly can move markets. The political discussion might drive those events. But the politics of the situation didn't...the event did.

Brexit will be interesting to watch...that situation still hasn't been fully realized. Interesting chatting with a member of parliament over the xmas holiday about Brexit and the PM (who they know personally). That and Brit ex-pats moving back to the UK. Quite a stew.

I've given you examples of how US politics, greatly affected markets.

care to reverse your false statement yet, or should we just believe you cause......

YOUR QUOTE:
    You gave me examples of how events changed the market.

Sure, all of your Russian inspired memes can influence people who vote (see 2016 election results on how Americans were duped by the Russians into voting for Trump and against crooked Hillary). People are influenced by politics. The market is influenced by events.

Do politics drive events? Sure.

Did you big Trump supporters check with facebook to see if you followed Russian propaganda? I did. Big fat "zero". Let's hear your results.

https://www.recode.net/2017/12/22/16...-trump-clinton

So the memo wasn't a political event?

You liberals are so great at dodging your own statements, it's hilarious!

Lets try again.
    IS THIS ACCURATE?

YOUR QUOTE:

Yes or NO should suffice....
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

I guess you are aware a US president tried to sway the vote of a foreign country?
    It's not just "a" president. Every president in the last 100+ years has done that. It was especially prevalent during the Cold War in the 1940's through early 1990's, but was going on before that and continues to go on to the present day.

That's the main reason it's silly to accuse Russia of meddling in the US election. The US does that sort of thing all the time. The US has even meddled in Russia's elections several times since the 1990's. Then apparently we're supposed to act all shocked and outraged when they do the exact same thing to us.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

13. Likes Iceaxe, oldno7 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    It's not just "a" president. Every president in the last 100+ years has done that. It was especially prevalent during the Cold War in the 1940's through early 1990's, but was going on before that and continues to go on to the present day.

That's the main reason it's silly to accuse Russia of meddling in the US election. The US does that sort of thing all the time. The US has even meddled in Russia's elections several times since the 1990's. Then apparently we're supposed to act all shocked and outraged when they do the exact same thing to us.

please forgive me----I'll try not to do this again

But--I agree with you 100%
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

Simpleton's have already forgot about obamas attempt to unseat Benjamin Netanyahu.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

we've kinda melded 2 discussions here, Stocks/Memo, they are intertwined.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

Monday looks to start off with a large drop.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

Ummm...WTF?!

Dow is down 1841 points in just two trading days!!

Name:  dow.JPG
Views: 201
Size:  40.0 KB
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Ugh.

We'll see what the rest of the week brings...

Ugh.

We'll see what the rest of the week brings...
    Thanks Obama!

I bought a lot of stock, this morning.

It was all Aurora Cannabis(ACBFF)

I have no complaints.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

If you haven't been expecting this bump you don't know stocks. The market has lost 7.8%, that's not even enough to officially be classified as a correction. A correction is a 10% loss.

Anyhoo... guess right on the bottom, and you'll bank a truck load of coin.

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Outdoor Forum