Page 1 of 70 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Stocks

Stocks

So... I've been following the Facebook IPO that is soon to make a couple of billionaires and a couple hundred millionaires out of those currently holding its stock.... and some things just don't make a lot of sence to me about interweb companies...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Hehe I see where you are going, but you are leaving out "perceived value" I think and how it relates to actual value.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

4. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    dot com all over again??????
    Life is Good

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    My thoughts exactly--bubble vs. II

Facebook still has never turned a profit.... and never will... they have tried hundreds of advertising models and none work.

Yet people are about to pour billions into the company.... this is just crazy....

The only way Facebook can bank coin is to sell the massive amounts of personal data they have collect... which will cause a user revolt... and without users....

This whole deal is doomed to failure....

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    I was having the same painful flashback. I remember working for HP during the late 90's and wondering how the heck Yahoo and Amazon had bigger market caps than HP did (I think they might have even been bigger than Exon).

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    I think the FB IPO will get huge, then fizzle out as the company struggles to compete head:head with Google in the marketing space. Additionally, FB will realize that it needs to start charging its +900M users and they will wander off to Google+ or one of the other social sites. I wouldn't put my money there -- and consider myself a fairly decent investor (FB will become Yahoo in short time, IMHO).
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Facebook still has never turned a profit.... and never will... they have tried hundreds of advertising models and none work.

Yet people are about to pour billions into the company.... this is just crazy....

The only way Facebook can bank coin is to sell the massive amounts of personal data they have collect... which will cause a user revolt... and without users....

This whole deal is doomed to failure....
    Facebook has zero competition, I only know a few people that use google circles. It's a good product that everyone uses, even my grandma! I don't see that it needs to turn a huge profit, only remain useful. It's pretty much the best way to arrange a canyoneering trip for me. Set an event, put up the times, invite the people, done. Even simple stuff like me and a couple friends like to chat about movies. So we made a website that links to our facebook profiles and pulls data off our posts. So when I see a movie and talk about it we now have a central deposit to just chat about what movies we liked and didn't like. It's pretty slick and links 100% through facebook comments. Check it out, I think this is the future of Facebook. http://rewatchabilityfactor.com/ Generating content to a website used by 5 people to chat about movies.

Sorry rambling, I just think you are wrong. Of course the first dot com bust is where I made and then lost the most money in my entire life.

11. Likes oldno7 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Deathcricket View Post
    Facebook has zero competition, I only know a few people that use google circles. It's a good product that everyone uses, even my grandma! I don't see that it needs to turn a huge profit, only remain useful.
    I never said Facebook wasn't a great product and used by millions.... the problem, at least from a finical viewpoint, is Facebook has never been able to generate enough money to turn a profit.... and to stay in business eventually a company has to be able to turn a profit.

In simplest terms, Facebook has to eventually find a way to turn a profit that doesn't drive away the membership or it is doomed.... This IPO is nothing but rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

If you want to be the next big dot.com millionaire all you have to do is figure out a way for Facebook to turn a profit. All the advertising schemes they have tried to date have failed.

YMMV

Interesting article. The general public seems to agree with you Ice.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...2F+Top+News%29

(Reuters) - Facebook's shares fell again on Tuesday as questions mounted over the company's long-term prospects and the top U.S. securities regulator called for a review of the problems surrounding its initial public offering last week.
    The comments urging a review, by Securities and Exchange Commission Chairman Mary Schapiro, added pressure on the company, its underwriters and the Nasdaq, all of which have taken blame for the stock's troubled opening and subsequent sharp decline.
    "Thus, what we see are a series of bad decisions made by Facebook's executives going back many years. The insiders got greedy, too clever by half, in how they used secondary markets. They picked a bad banker and an awful exchange," Ritholtz said.

If you want to be the next big dot.com millionaire all you have to do is figure out a way for Facebook to turn a profit. All the advertising schemes they have tried to date have failed.

YMMV

OR

Buy up 1000's of FB shares and sell them short.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

FB took anther 9% hit today.... down to $31 and tumbling fast...

The only reason this IPO was so high was it was hyped to high heaven.... fools and their money are soon parted.

From an openning price of $38 to doom in less then one week.... I'm now predicting this stock is going to creater big time as it had no real value to begin with, only perceived value....

FB took anther 9% hit today.... down to $31 and tumbling fast...

The only reason this IPO was so high was it was hyped to high heaven.... fools and their money are soon parted.

From an openning price of $38 to doom in less then one week.... I'm now predicting this stock is going to creater big time as it had no real value to begin with, only perceived value....
    Crazy.... The funny thing is I would have totally dumped money into this if I had any laying around. But it's all tied up in real estate and i'm broke as a joke. Thank goodness for that, lol. I woudda lost my shirt!

19. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    Death to crickets... You just listen to the old skeptics...
    Life is Good

21. Likes Deathcricket liked this post
    $28.84 and falling like a rock.

Note to self..... Never buy a stock again without consulting Ice.

Facebook is the next MySpace.

Resident Southern Belle savanna3313's Avatar
    Southern transplant......again.....this time to Southern Utah!
    This is one of those stocks that you wait to hit single digits and then take some "spare" money and buy a thousand shares to see (speculate) what may happen. I'm surprised with all the people that belong to FB that the marketing hasn't gone well - from the sheer volume of people alone. Ahhh internet companies - I remember them well from the 90s!
    Never regret anything that made you smile!

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Outdoor Forum