Thread: Poison Spring Area

Poison Spring Area

Looking to head to Poison Spring area in the near future. Haven't been to Constrychnine, Arscenic, or Slideanide. Wondering which of the three you'd recommend. Also wondering have any of you done two of them together in the same day? I remember from a while back seeing a map that showed a shortcut escape route that you could take back to the top to complete a second canyon, but can't seem to find it anywhere.

Any help would be great. Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    My favorites are Constrychnine and Slideanide. A good choice right now as they are north-facing. Each of the three are considered a half-day canyon, and it is pretty normal to do two in one day, without returning to the car between. The normal return routes are as you describe the "shortcut escape" - they take you back up to the heads of the canyons.

Tom

Thanks for the reply. The early escape I'm referring to brought you back up between Slideanide and Arscenic. You didn't hike all the way to Arscenic Arch and then up as it shows on most maps. Thought if we did Constrychnine and then wanted Slideanide it would be better than going down to Arscenic arch and back up to the head of Slideanide.

On a side note, any idea how the anchors are in Constrychnine since the piton and bolt were removed?

Thanks

I haven't done Constrychnine so can't say on that one but have done the other two several times. Where Con and Slide come together find a spot on the left ldc and climb out. I have a trip report on here from years ago that might show it drawn on a map, can't remember. When we do Arscenic we leave our 200' rope at the first rappel and pick it up on the way back. We think you can also climb out of Arsenic early. As you come out of the skinny section watch for a slick rock area on the left that looks climbable and scale that back to the rim. We Scouted it from the bottom and the top last time and it looks doable. Would save quite a bit of hiking. You will miss the arch doing this. We leave snacks and drinks close to the top of Arsenic and then hit Slide. Have some snacks and then head down Arsenic. Pick it all up on the way back and head for real food. Long one day trip from Salt Lake. I'd hurry it will be warm there now. The short cuts are reasonably short but HOT.

Mark

Thanks for the help Mark. I found your old post but no map. I think we will be able to figure it out. How come you haven't done Constrychnine? Just curious if there is something there I'm not aware of?

Constrychnine was the last of the canyons published.

Anchors? There are plenty of rocks in the area to build an anchor with.

Since first published, shorter exits have become what most people do. From the Constrych9/Slideanide junction, continue downcanyon 15 minutes, then cut up on the slickrock to the left and follow the ridge to the top. Hardest moves at the bottom, 3rd/4th class.

Tom

I did constrychnine the last sat in apr and all the anchors were in good condition, although there was a rats nest of webbing at 190' drop that could do with some cleanup. I was lazy that day and didn't feel like cleaning up the anchor.

Thanks guys, I'll be sure to report after we make the trip.

Quote Originally Posted by huntinkyhl View Post
    Thanks for the help Mark. I found your old post but no map. I think we will be able to figure it out. How come you haven't done Constrychnine? Just curious if there is something there I'm not aware of?
    Every time I go I am with Youth Groups, so I stick to what I know. You do not need to go down canyon 15 minutes like Tom says. As soon as you come out of Slide watch for a break in the wall on the left and go right up that . It is right before or right at the Const. junction. Many a Scout group have climbed out right there.

There is another post about some guys rappeling on our rope in Arsenic when we were trying to untie it. Someone is lucky they are not dead.

Mark

I have used the exit right at the junction, but last time the troops revolted and claimed the exit downcanyon was a lot better, a lot easier. There's a bit of rock climbing on bad rock with the junction exit, which may not be to your taste. I think it was just as fast to go downcanyon, since the exit is easier.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    I think it was just as fast to go downcanyon, since the exit is easier.
    X2

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    X2
    When you climb out what I guess is the more difficult way you do come onto a large social trail coming from down canyon. So it looks like most people are going down canyon before exiting.

Thanks again, We plan on doing Constrychnine and Slideanide so maybe we'll try both of them and report on our findings.