Thread: Lost Canyon & Squaw Canyon Loop

Lost Canyon & Squaw Canyon Loop

Saturday, May 5, 2012

The Original Trip Report on ADVENTR.CO

On Saturday morning I set out early to drive down to The Needles District of Canyonlands National Park. One of my goals for 2012 was to spend more time hiking and exploring in this amazing area. Unfortunately, because of circumstances earlier this year I was unable to make it down here until now, so I
    Randy Langstraat
    ADVENTR.CO | Anasazi Photography

2. Likes Mooseman70 liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Its amazing to see what is out there through your photos. Thanks for the pictures and keep them coming.

Fabulous photos! They really are wonderful!

Our family is heading that way next week, and we are trying to decide where to go. Typically we go in March, so we are not used to the warm weather and bugs, and it sounds like both have arrived! Our daughter loves all the hikes in Needles and wants to do an overnight backpack; we think she may regret it. Alternatively, we would like to explore Beef Basin for the first time. Do you have any advice for us? Have you heard any word on how slushy or muddy the road is into the basin? There's nothing on the BLM or NPS websites about these road conditions, except that Salt Creek and Horse canyons are closed. Thanks!

Thanks for sharing Randy. I enjoyed a wonderful family backpacking trip in that area several years ago.
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

Quote Originally Posted by canyondancer View Post
    Fabulous photos! They really are wonderful!

Our family is heading that way next week, and we are trying to decide where to go. Typically we go in March, so we are not used to the warm weather and bugs, and it sounds like both have arrived! Our daughter loves all the hikes in Needles and wants to do an overnight backpack; we think she may regret it. Alternatively, we would like to explore Beef Basin for the first time. Do you have any advice for us? Have you heard any word on how slushy or muddy the road is into the basin? There's nothing on the BLM or NPS websites about these road conditions, except that Salt Creek and Horse canyons are closed. Thanks!
    As of 5/20/12 the road into Beef Basin was dry and dusty.

Great pictures as always

Thanks, middlefork!
    Dry and dusty conditions sound good to me.

IntrepidXJ, thanks for your posting on Beef Basin from 2010. Your photos, again, are wonderful and have us rarin' to go!

OK, one more quick question: how bad are the bugs up on the plateaus, e.g. Beef Basin?

OK, one more quick question: how bad are the bugs up on the plateaus, e.g. Beef Basin?
    No see ums were out but manageable. A little breeze and they would be gone.

Quote Originally Posted by middlefork View Post
    No see ums were out but manageable. A little breeze and they would be gone.
    Thanks! That sounds tolerable. :)

Love the Yellow man

Thanks! That sounds tolerable. :)
    Yellow man looks great and the tin cans interesting. It just makes you realise how few people venture off the path.

thats place is so beautiful,,,,rock art are really nice to look at..environment is cool...
    thanks IntrepidXj for your nice post....

Cool stuff indeed!