Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My New Favorite Zion Canyon

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    FWIW: Rumor has it there is an approach that supposedly knocks an hour off the time and eliminates some bushwhacking.:
    True. We spent quite a bit of time looking into another route. I'm pretty sure an easier route can be had that would bring you straight into that hunters camp and around the hill rather than that first hour of hiking.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

That is pure speculation on my part... but I do have some experience with the subject.

My speculation was based on the fact that the post 2007 bushwhacking is not as bad as the pre-2007 bushwhacking. And the fact the route is now available to the general public so everyone that has done Heaps, Imlay or Kolob and is looking for the next great canyon will target it. Checkerboard is certianly a big-boy canyon and not a Pine Creek or Keyhole.

The approach is about the same as the Imlay Sneak approach or MIA Exit with regards to effort spent and the payoff is certainly as good....YMMV...

FWIW: Rumor has it there is an approach that supposedly knocks an hour off the time and eliminates some bushwhacking.

Of course a good boyscout disaster, rumors of a blue lake or an arm chopping off story would really bump it up the popularity scale.
    You are correct. It certainly will be the next great canyon in Zion that people will do when they have already done Imlay and Heaps (or instead of if the permits run out for those canyons).

I should have said I don't think the canyon will get much repeat traffic. (Speculation on my part with much less experience that you.) If I had not already been down it the pictures in this thread would certainly induce me to give it a try. I also haven't been back to that area since I went down the canyon, so I haven't seen what it looks like now since the 2007 fire.

Maybe if I wore long pants and a long sleeve shirt I wouldn't have such bad memories.

I also didn't consider that if more people give it a try social trails may develop to help eliminate some of the bushwhacking.

For those that have done the Right Fork of North Creek and stayed up on the benches before dropping down into Right Fork, is the bushwacking any worse or better than that?

For those that have done the Right Fork of North Creek and stayed up on the
    benches before dropping down into Right Fork, is the bushwacking any worse or
    better than that?
    If you mean the little pothole filled valley (standard route) on the west side of upper Right Fork (that avoids the upper slot), then it's mostly slickrock. Most of the bushwhacking on the standard route is (or was) in Wildcat Canyon, though I hear that there is a social trail through much of it now.

Edit: On second thought maybe I misunderstood your question (which would make my answer pointless). Are you asking how bad the Right Fork bushwhacking since you have done Checkerboard or vice versa (I have not done Checkerboard, but have the RF)?
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

I would compare the bushwacking to the Wild Wind exit of Birch Hollow.... only 3 times longer... That is the only thing I can even think of that is close (I haven't done the Right Fork route mentioned above).

Thanks Old No 7. And, as always....great pics!

8. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    I would compare the bushwacking to the Wild Wind exit of Birch Hollow.... only 3 times longer... That is the only thing I can even think of that is close (I haven't done the Right Fork route mentioned above).
    yuck.. Wild wind exit sucks bad
    - Gavin

Yeah, I'm talking about the bushwhacking in Wildcat down to the Seeps and from the Seeps to the Golden Staircase - comparable?

Whoa... seriously, nice fotos! Kurt is sharing fotos, Shane is sharing beta...

It is nice to see everyone sharing and getting along in the canyoneering community.

THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by remoteman45 View Post
    Yeah, I'm talking about the bushwhacking in Wildcat down to the Seeps and from the Seeps to the Golden Staircase - comparable?
    Not even remotely similar. Wildcat and the regular Right Fork route are a stroll in the Park, with the occasional bush to walk around. Out to Checkerboard, especially in company with the Bushwhacker, is full-on bushwhackery, with an occasional 30 foot clear section. At least it was before the fire, might be better now.

Tom

The fire didn't help, it left sharp burnt stumps hidden inside the new growth of bushwhackery.

Okay, this makes me rethink wanting to do this one (still pretty certain I want to.) That Wild Wind exit really did suck.
    --Cliff

Anyone know why it's called Checkerboard canyon? I immediately assumed it was near checkerboard mesa, and... well... it's not....

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    There's some very nice checkerboard action on the walls between which it goes. Also, as a matter of obfuscation.

Tom

Checkerboard is definitely a sweet canyon, especially the last rap! The hike in and long Narrows hike out make for one helluva long day (Thanks to Ram for the invite!)! Rather do Icebox a few times more.....now that's one of my top 5 Zion canyons.....just the sheer beauty.

Kurt you have nice legs bro. Looks like you were almost Kelsey shorting it.

Would love to do a canyon with you again. Great pics
    Stop checking my spelling! I know I suck but I amn't in school anymor, so back off.

20. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Thanks for noticing

Would be fun to get out with you and Nick again........

__