Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My New Favorite Zion Canyon

Deleted.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    Really? How many canyons have you done? I've certainly done some that I wouldn't do again.
    Why don't you go do something your capable of like making heart shaped eggs.

Including this one--I'd guess I'm up to 5-6

You should probably leave "having fun" up to those of us who know how to do it,Mr. Literal

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    Tyler---If'in I told ya once--I told ya a million times, Don't post pics of me carrying the rope bag--I have a reputation to uphold...

Nice shots!!!
    Only because you put up pictures of me in my Kelsey shorts

5. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck View Post
    Are you asking me a question? I've been around long enough to see changes.....and most importantly...to hear the reasoning why the changes take place. We may not agree, or we may? One thing is for sure, changes do happen.
    No question being asked. I agree that change happens. Problem is with Zion Permit system, the changes aren't always or even often good for canyoneers. Like you, I was doing canyons in the good old days, prior to the permit system. Putting canyons ON the list is not a good thing in my humble opinion.
    Life is Good

I have a Zion area canyon I will be doing in a month, or so.
    It is on Private property, flowing water....
    I'm guessing it has not been done much.
    On, or access from?

I still haven't done "Trespass" or whatever that rig out by Lava Point is called. The one south of the there...buncha squeezin' but not much juice.

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonccc View Post
    The approach is a mother!
    Yep, look at the nicks and cuts to the legs of those in the photographs. Just like I thought it would be (besides the distance).
    Life is Good

You should probably leave "having fun" up to those of us who know how to do it,Mr. Literal
    ???????

What was that about? It was a simple comment and wasn't meant to be rude, nor meant to be any kind of attack on you are the trip report.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    ???????

What was that about? It was a simple comment and wasn't meant to be rude, nor meant to be any kind of attack on you are the trip report.
    Yea--right, thats why you edited your post!!
    The original is still in my quote on the next post down.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Kurt is very sensitive about many issues. Hair-trigger.

Even about things you did not actually say.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    Putting canyons ON the list is not a good thing in my humble opinion.
    Somewhat "precisely" my point. If attention is wanted, then bring it to the internet irregardless of a good or bad permit system.

Yea--right, thats why you edited your post!! The original is still in my quote on the next post down.
    Yes; and now completely deleted it because apparently it is still taken as offensive (when it was not meant to be). PS, you forgot to quote the nodding smiling face that was in the original post as well.

My point was that I've done quite a few canyons that I wouldn't do again (I have not done Checkerboard so wasn't commenting on Checkerbord in fact it is high on the list), so the last canyon I did was not always my favorite. This is/was for many reasons, i.e.:

Extremely beautiful/spectacular, but full of poison ivy that left me oozing for months): Death Hollow
    OK, but not worth all the effort/pain for the return: Poncho Wash
    Too much bushwhacking: North Fork Bull Canyon (Dinosaur)
    Too crowded/touristy: Antelope
    I'm too fat now: Egypt 4

I assume most other people run into a non-favorite one eventually.

That was the only point of the comment. I (honestly) apologize if I offended you. My comment was not meant to be an attack on you or the trip report (in fact I very much liked the trip report).

I think that every canyon I've done was worth doing (to me) once, but some of them not more than once (not referring to Checkerboard). Since I don't want to hijack the thread and since the thread might get too much off in a tangent, I won't comment further.

Nothing about your done inviting me because I bailed again?

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    Nothing about your done inviting me because I bailed again?
    Never done inviting you...

I can handle rejection.

Guess it wouldn't do any good to say you missed a great time

Looks like a great time. Hope Tyler enjoys the AF. This thread sure got off on a couple crazy tangents
    IF YOU WON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!!!!

2008 V2K Classic LT
    2004 Toyota Tacoma
    Schwinn Homegrown
    CouchSurfing
    Patriot Guard Riders

17. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    Corral Hollow?

But...really, Checkerboard, top 3? No way. Better than Kolob, Imlay, Heaps? Better than Pine Creek (ha ha)?

Yeah, there's a few off the radar rigs. I think folks gettin' a permit for "Birch Creek" might end up fooling the permit folks by having them think its "Birch Hollow". Where?
    Yep. I knew it had Corral in it somewhere! We pulled a permit for Corral Hollow when we did it. The narrows area is one of the few areas I won't poach stuff. Too many rangers hanging out at the end of the paved trail. Checkerboard is good and fun, especially for those of us who rarely venture out of southern Utah but not in the top tier of Zion canyons. But I think my opinion is heavily tainted by the god awful ash/mud situation we encountered when we did it. The last rap at the time dropped into a big "bowl" of soupy mud. I literally had to crawl and belly squirm up the mud to get to the rim. At least there was some nice clean water nearby!
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar

Perhaps, at some point in your life, Kurt, you would like to learn how to play well with others. Certainly your abuse of Mr. Patterson was entirely uncalled for. Scott has a tendency to stumble over his own tongue, once in a while, but he had a valid point.

Have you never done a dud?

I've done plenty of duds. Some were good, but not worth doing again. Some were poor, but we still had a good time. And some were just a waste of a day.

Yes, many of us take the "Bonington approach". Often the best canyon I have done is the one last done. Certainly is today.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Perhaps, at some point in your life, Kurt, you would like to learn how to play well with others.

Tom
    So--You sayin' I'm black, Mr. Pot??
    Attached Images Attached Images  

21. Likes Jaxx, Deathcricket liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by nelsonccc View Post
    But I think my opinion is heavily tainted by the god awful ash/mud situation we encountered when we did it.
    Yeah... Checkerboard lost a lot of its charm right after the 2007 fire, except for the approach which became easier. It's been a few years since I last did the route, but from looking at Kurt's pictures its appears the canyon has regained its splendor.

I expect it to be a popular route this year...

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    I expect it to be a popular route this year...
    It has been a long time since I have done this canyon (2004 or 2005), but I cannot imagine this canyon becoming very popular. It is a very nice slot, but that approach through the bushes is a killer. I still have no desire to return due to all the bushwhacking. I would rather hike up the MIA exit...

Or maybe we just chose a poor route when we did it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stick View Post
    I cannot imagine this canyon becoming very popular
    That is pure speculation on my part... but I do have some experience with the subject.

My speculation was based on the fact that the post 2007 bushwhacking is not as bad as the pre-2007 bushwhacking. And the fact the route is now available to the general public so everyone that has done Heaps, Imlay or Kolob and is looking for the next great canyon will target it. Checkerboard is certianly a big-boy canyon and not a Pine Creek or Keyhole.

The approach is about the same as the Imlay Sneak approach or MIA Exit with regards to effort spent and the payoff is certainly as good....YMMV...

FWIW: Rumor has it there is an approach that supposedly knocks an hour off the time and eliminates some bushwhacking.

Of course a good boyscout disaster, rumors of a blue lake or an arm chopping off story would really bump it up the popularity scale.