Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My New Favorite Zion Canyon

We're all here, because we ain't all there.

My New Favorite Zion Canyon

I've been planning on doing this canyon for a couple of years. I gathered as much information as possible and lastly--consulted Ram during our Dantes trip.

Tyler went and got the permit and the ranger did not know anything about this canyon or have any insite as to when it was done last. So he issued him the permit.

I lined up my daughter to shuttle us up to the trailhead, we left canyon junction at 5:30am., Started hiking at 6:30, we arrived at the shuttle at 6:30pm. I was tired, Tyler and Andy took off running

Anyway, this canyon seems to have traits from many Zion canyons and I must say--it is the most photogenic.(imho)

So thanks to 2 pretty great partners, I think was Tylers 5th last hurrah
    Thanks to Scarlet for sharing her husband just days before his new journey begins. The USAF is lucky to have this fine young man.
    Attached Images Attached Images                                                         

2. Likes blueeyes liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Pretty sure I was there a couple of years ago after the big fires cleaned out the approach. How was the approach? Seemed that when the undergrowth came back it would be nasty. I think when we did it we must have used close to 100' of webbing in that canyon re-doing the anchors. That last rap through the, for the lack of a better term, sandstone straw, was mighty cool. Thanks for posting -- I think.
    Life is Good

Awesome pics, whats the name of this canyon?

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Gorgeous pictures Kurt!

Best of luck to you Tyler!!!
    Chere'

Anther genie is out of the bottle....

Checkerboard Canyon Route Description
    http://climb-utah.com/Zion/checkboard.htm

Enjoy.... I have a couple more Zion Canyon route descritions like this in the hopper for later this year. I'm thinking if Zion NP will not increase the number of permits the next best thing might be to increase the number of canyons. What do you think? I stopped posting routes inside the park when Zion went to the permit system, with the thinking they don't patrol what they don't know about....

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    Pretty sure I was there a couple of years ago after the big fires cleaned out the approach. How was the approach? Seemed that when the undergrowth came back it would be nasty. I think when we did it we must have used close to 100' of webbing in that canyon re-doing the anchors. That last rap through the, for the lack of a better term, sandstone straw, was mighty cool. Thanks for posting -- I think.
    Uh...oh.. Cat is out of the bag! That's when we did it. Right after the big fire. The water was like a soupy cement, with some extremely stinky water! Was a very long day for sure. I think we barely made the shuttle bus with one guy running ahead to hold the last bus.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post

Enjoy.... I have a couple more Zion Canyon route descritions like this in the hopper for later this year. I'm thinking if Zion NP will not increase the number of permits the next best thing might be to increase the number of canyons. What do you think? I stopped posting routes inside the park when Zion went to the permit system, with the thinking they don't patrol what they don't know about....
    The park has known about this canyon for a lot of years. I'm thinking that when K*P
    took me thru he had explained that it was it's second descent. I told the park about it and explained that it probably wouldn't be publicized for quite some time. Until now I think a blind eye has been the norm with the exception of requiring a Narrows Permit with Checkerboard being the reason. With publicity, I would suspect that increasing popularity may open some eyes to do with impact and increasing Narrows requests? What ya think? Use limits? Maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post

? I stopped posting routes inside the park when Zion went to the permit system, with the thinking they don't patrol what they don't know about....
    I kinda liked your prior policy. The number of canyons is a fixed quantity. You putting them on the radar does nothing but make the process to get to some of these canyons more of a hassle. I like that they don't know some of the routes. I wish you would re-think your posting beta in Zion. It is not going to change anything in the park or the park policy or the "number of canyons". Please note, my opinion has nothing to do with the show don't tell mentality or I am cool and you are not mentality. My opinion to keep canyons off the radar in Zion has to do with the dumb policies of the permit system. Checkerboard will be so rarely visited it isn't worth the permit system. The approach is long..... That will weed out most kiddie canyoneers.

Enough for now.
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck View Post
    Until now I think a blind eye has been the norm with the exception of requiring a Narrows Permit with Checkerboard being the reason. With publicity, I would suspect that increasing popularity may open some eyes to do with impact and increasing Narrows requests? What ya think? Use limits? Maybe?
    This ^^^^ Use limits, less Narrows Permits available, competing with Narrows Hiker's for canyoneering permits..... Seriously???
    Life is Good

I think I will walk away from the computer now ...... don't want to raise my blood pressure any more than it is.
    Life is Good

I kinda liked your prior policy. The number of canyons is a fixed quantity. You putting them on the radar does nothing but make the process to get to some of these canyons more of a hassle. I like that they don't know some of the routes. I wish you would re-think your posting beta in Zion. It is not going to change anything in the park or the park policy or the "number of canyons". Please note, my opinion has nothing to do with the show don't tell mentality or I am cool and you are not mentality. My opinion to keep canyons off the radar in Zion has to do with the dumb policies of the permit system. Checkerboard will be so rarely visited it isn't worth the permit system. The approach is long..... That will weed out most kiddie canyoneers.

Enough for now.
    I'm pretty sure they knew about it. I mean how many people are really doing Coral Canyon? I'm sure every time someone pulled a permit for Coral they knew it was really for checkerboard. The approach is a mother! Luckily we did it right after the fire but even then the patches of alder were nasty. And since you have to park so far away and hike along the head of the other canyons it really elongates the hike and makes it pretty miserable. Though access to a couple of 4 wheelers could cut 90 minutes out of that hike.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

I had a great time in the canyon too. Definitely an adventure with some amazing scenery! Special thanks to "The Old Guys" Kurt and Andy. You guys have been great canyoneering partners and have really made this last month's adventures fun!
    Attached Images Attached Images                                       

15. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by nelsonccc View Post
    I mean how many people are really doing Coral Canyon?
    Corral Hollow?

But...really, Checkerboard, top 3? No way. Better than Kolob, Imlay, Heaps? Better than Pine Creek (ha ha)?

Yeah, there's a few off the radar rigs. I think folks gettin' a permit for "Birch Creek" might end up fooling the permit folks by having them think its "Birch Hollow". Where?

17. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    I kinda liked your prior policy. The number of canyons is a fixed quantity. You putting them on the radar does nothing but make the process to get to some of these canyons more of a hassle. I like that they don't know some of the routes. I wish you would re-think your posting beta in Zion.
    I have several different thoughts on this.... The Zion canyons have always been a quandary for me since the permit system was introduced... I go back and forth on the issue of how to handle them....

I could easily add 50 to 60 permits into the system.... if they take them from hikers or cause canyoneers to compete with hikers for permits that is anther issue.... if they take these permits from the hikers do the tech guys really give a crap? Its 50 to 60 more permits...

And I have always understood most of those on the "inside" prefer to keep the canyons on the down-low.

Tyler---If'in I told ya once--I told ya a million times, Don't post pics of me carrying the rope bag--I have a reputation to uphold...

Nice shots!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    But...really, Checkerboard, top 3? No way. Better than Kolob, Imlay, Heaps?
    Checkerboard makes my personal top 3 Zion Canyons.... YMMV...

This ^^^^ Use limits, less Narrows Permits available, competing with Narrows Hiker's for canyoneering permits..... Seriously???
    Are you asking me a question? I've been around long enough to see changes.....and most importantly...to hear the reasoning why the changes take place. We may not agree, or we may? One thing is for sure, changes do happen.

Kurt, I got tired when you told me about this canyon, must have been a great day. Terrific pictures.

Be safe, Tyler, hope we can get together when you have leave.
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    Tyler---If'in I told ya once--I told ya a million times, Don't post pics of me carrying the rope bag--I have a reputation to uphold...
    I hope Tom is paying you guys handsomely.... ya'll looking like a walking Imlay products billboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    Corral Hollow?

But...really, Checkerboard, top 3? No way. Better than Kolob, Imlay, Heaps? Better than Pine Creek (ha ha)?

Yeah, there's a few off the radar rigs. I think folks gettin' a permit for "Birch Creek" might end up fooling the permit folks by having them think its "Birch Hollow". Where?

Are you kidding me--my favorite canyon is always the last one I've done.

I have a Zion area canyon I will be doing in a month, or so.

It is on Private property, flowing water....

I'm guessing it has not been done much.

We knew checkerboard had been done by many, hence the surprise of the BC rangers comments.

Next one through, might want to tighten the hangers on first rap.

And yes--I donated a quart of blood to the rosebushes and rapidly growing oak brush.