Thread: The Repellent to use

The Repellent to use

I answered a question for a friend about what I had learned about repellents in C4 school and decided that as long as I am typing it I would share. I know that most people have their particular favorite, but the below is what I learned in the school and based on scientific criteria. Below is that answer:

Actually I do! When I went to Combat Casualty Care Course they had an excellent class by an entomologist on preventing arthropod bites. It was an eye opener. The military has to put members in areas of the world where insects try to lay their eggs on them or where arthropod bites cause serious disease so repellents are not just nuisance prevention. DEET was determined at the time to have the required efficacy but the problem is/was that it has such a high vapor pressure it does not last long. Have you ever noticed that your favorite DEET spray works great……for about 15 minutes? The Dept of Defense contracted 3M to solve the problem with the requirement that it work at 100 degrees, 100 % humidity, and for 12 hrs. The DOD thought it would take years and years, but it only took them about 18 months. What did they use?? DEET. What they did is to develop a lotion that slowly releases DEET over many hours. It is commercially available and called Ultrathon. However, keep in mind that the lotion is the key. Consumers don’t like lotion so I think 3M puts out a spray called Ultrathon and I don’t know anything about it but the lotion met the trial standards. Ultrathon lotion is the one to use. Do you remember back in the 80s when the Avon Skin So Soft oil was rumored to be a repellent? Well, turns out….sort of. That is a barrier not a repellent and plain old mineral oil works just as well. Mosquitoes don’t like getting on it….kind of like we don’t like walking in mud. But, repellent is better. And, yes, I have looked into the toxicity and am perfectly comfortable with the safety of DEET. The so called “natural” repellents just don’t work as well so why use them? Just use natural dirt if that is the criterion. I had to throw in my towel with the burning coils that I used to pack in. Plain old smoke works just as well for most but doesn’t work unless one stays in the smoke and I don’t want to do that.
    Sorry about writing an entire epistle on it, but this is actually the synopsis. I know, too long for just asking what kind I prefer.
    Duke

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Nice Information, Thanks.

I wonder how well this works with Cedar Knats. I had a wicked run in with them on the Swell last years. I'll have to buy some of this product. Thanks for the info.
    We must go forward, even if we can't!

5. Likes mattandersao liked this post
    I have used Gear Smart repellent to great effect in the Uintas last year. It is expensive, but you do not need to use it very often. The active ingredient is picaridin, which does not damage gear like DEET does. Just make sure that the formula you get has over 10% picaridin in it.

What Wikipedia says:
    Icaridin has been reported to be as effective as DEET without the irritation associated with DEET.[3] According to the WHO, icaridin “demonstrates excellent repellent properties comparable to, and often superior to, those of the standard DEET.”

I went on a 10 day kayak/fishing adventure in Alaska a few years back (Katmai NP). I took several different types of spray (pump) on other folks recommendations, and had found one lotion while picking up supplies. My buds gave me crap about the lotion, so of course I had to try it to show them. I'll be damned if it wasn't superior in every way! Smelled better, lasted longer, easier to apply, etc... When the bugs are so thick you duck into the tent to rub repellant on your boys before heading out to squat in the woods... Lotion wins! They were sheepishly asking for lotion at breakfast by the end of the trip.

Quote Originally Posted by reverse_dyno View Post
    I have used Gear Smart repellent to great effect in the Uintas last year. It is expensive, but you do not need to use it very often. The active ingredient is picaridin, which does not damage gear like DEET does. Just make sure that the formula you get has over 10% picaridin in it.

What Wikipedia says:
    Icaridin has been reported to be as effective as DEET without the irritation associated with DEET.[3] According to the WHO, icaridin “demonstrates excellent repellent properties comparable to, and often superior to, those of the standard DEET.”
    Picaridin is one of the few the carries the EPA registry and one of just 3 that truly showed good results. The other is P-methane 3,8 diol or PMD, commonly called oil of lemon eucalyptus. I have seen studies and info on Picaridin but the comparable or "superior" performances were for DEET products that were below the correct percentages, ie an 8% DEET product. As you said, DEET is a plasticizer/solvent so it does not do well on plastics such as some plastic sunglasses. Also, "standard" DEET may include a product that is not in the time release lotion and in a, say 1 hr test, it would not perform well. Gone in no time.

I still vote Ultrathon but would certainly use Picaridin too. FYI, Picaridin is also known as KBR 3023

Good info. - thanks! I have used the Ultrathon spray and it works quite well. I'll get me the lotion.

Do you know if it tends to melt plastics like the 100% DEET lotions do? That would be a nice bonus if it didn't. That stuff has ruined many a nice fly line and fly box.

Yes, as R Dyno said DEET will melt the some plastics and it is definitely a problem. The percentage of DEET would only affect how readily and to what extent it does this. Even a 5% DEET spray or lotions would cause some damage and the Ultrathon lotion is about 30% I believe.