Thread: Imlay Kolob Questions

Imlay Kolob Questions

I am looking at purchasing an Imlay Kolob pack or sewing my own. Out of curiosity, what do you like/dislike about the pack? Anything you would change (if you could)?

2. Likes witt liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The Kolob is pretty much a copy of the Black Diamond Ice pack (which Tom designed when he was working at BD).... anyhoo.... the reason I mention this is there are a couple items I like about the BD Ice that I wish were revised/incorporated in the Kolob.

1. First is the hip belt on my Ice is smaller and more nimble then the one on my Kolob. I canyoneer a lot with my hip belt unclipped so I can slip in and out of my pack when snaking through the skinnies. When you unclip the Kolob hip belt the straps hang out like wings and catch on stuff. I wish the Kolob had the BD Ice hip strap (less padding).

2. The top compartment of the Kolob doesn't fit as well as the one on my BD Ice. I would like to see that corrected.

3. I'd like to see the Kolob have tubes for ice tools like on the BD Ice. I know it's not exactly practical for canyoneering, but as I do a lot more canyoneering then ice climbing I could just use my Kolob pack for everything if it had tubes added.

Those are just a couple changes I'd like to see on the Kolob. But for the most part I really like the Kolob pack.

Thanks Shane. This is exactly what I was after.

This weekend I also noticed my BD Ice pack has a gear loop on each side of the hip strap that I use all the time, and the Imlay Kolob pack doesn't have the gear loops.

Thanks for the tip on the BD Ice. I will take a look.

Quote Originally Posted by tcmault View Post
    Thanks for the tip on the BD Ice. I will take a look.
    To the best of my knowledge Black Diamond has not produced the Ice backpack for 10 years. The reason I first mentioned it was because that was the origins of the Imlay Kolob and it has some features I really liked that were dropped or revised when it morphed into the Kolob.

Dang, I guess I will just get the Kolob.

The old BD Ice looked like fun pack.

I use a Kolob pack and have been happy with it so far, although it is the first canyon specific pack I have owned so am only comparing it to the previously packs that the canyons keep wearing out. We'll see next year how well it is still

I use a Kolob pack much of the time.... if doing the skinnies I buy the cheapest pack I can find on the bargin table because it will probably be totally trashed after a few tight slots. No way I'd take a nice expensive pack into a mae west slot.

I just wish I knew what Tom had coming down the pipe for Sept 2012. He says that new packs are coming, but I'd like to know if there are any changes, what colors, what sizes....etc.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    I just wish I knew what Tom had coming down the pipe for Sept 2012. He says that new packs are coming, but I'd like to know if there are any changes, what colors, what sizes....etc.
    What's coming in September is the same as previously offered.

I am looking at some changes for the May 2013 shipment, but have just started working on thinking about revisions - and am open to suggestions.

It is true that the Kolob is based on the BD Ice Pack circa 2004; however, it has come a long way since then. Kinda like a leopard and a cheetah. Same idea, different strengths.

Tom

Tom,

Thank you for popping in. Now I feel good about trying to find a Kolob now and not having something better hit the market the next month.

I would really love to see the color Red come back. Plus I'd like to see a replacable scuttle butt for the pack. It would look just like it does now, but there would be an extra scuttle butt that would attach to the bottom of the pack that could be replaced just like on harnesses.

You could then sell the pack scuttle butts as replacement. Of course if someone did not like the scuttle butt they would not have to have use it.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Tom,

Thank you for popping in. Now I feel good about trying to find a Kolob now and not having something better hit the market the next month.

I would really love to see the color Red come back. Plus I'd like to see a replacable scuttle butt for the pack. It would look just like it does now, but there would be an extra scuttle butt that would attach to the bottom of the pack that could be replaced just like on harnesses.

You could then sell the pack scuttle butts as replacement. Of course if someone did not like the scuttle butt they would not have to have use it.
    Hmmmmmmm.

I ran the red color for 5 years. Seemed like enough. I am planning a different orange for 2013.

T

I liked the red.... orange doesn't do much for me....

Name:  pleiades1.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  42.8 KB

17. Likes Scott P liked this post