Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Food Ideas?

Food Ideas?

Does anyone make their own food for backpacking? I don't have a dehydrator (I know I need one) but I would like to find out some food ideas that people like that they make themselves.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    I am just getting started with backpacking and will watch this thread with interest. Wish I had something to add but I don't only two trips under my belt.
    Chere'

It really depends on what you like as most things can be dehydrated (in the oven even if you don't have a dehydrator). Also how much work you want to do when you are out in the hills. I like my meals to be quick and simple.

mashed Potatoes with bacon bits is good - literally instant potatoes, bacon bits, a KFC butter packet, chives, Parmesan cheese (put them in a baggy and just add hot water)
    Quesadillas - First day of trip only but some string cheese, a couple tortillas, some ham (store with a frozen water bottle wrapped in some clothes and it stays cold all day)

I have moved away from much cooked fare and will just eat dried fruits, nuts and chicken jerky for the most part. Even Oatmeal can be done non cook if you sleep with your water so that it is warm, put it in your oatmeal and wait a protractedly long time for it to absorb everything and then mow down (I like carbs in the morning).

honestly if there is something you think would be good there is probably a way to make it in the backcountry.
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    Any type of smoked meat (chicken, beef, etc), dehydrated fruit. For ease of packing though, I've been taking MRE's and/or Mountain House freeze dried packs with me. Sometimes its just too much work to smoke/dehydrate your own stuff, when for $6.xx/pack, you can get pretty decent prepackaged stuff.
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

Thank you for the ideas! I do like the mashed potato meal, that one sounds good. I will have to give dehydrating in the oven a try, didn't know that could be done! I like being able to put time into the meals at home and then having them not take very much time while hiking and stuff. I have Jetboils that we use.

@blueeyes if you don't have a jetboil I would get one they are AMAZING and very lightweight!

Actually just ordered one two days ago for our upcoming backpack trip. My jetboil should arrive tomorrow just in time for West Rim hike in Zion and then Havasupai the following weekend. Really I ordered the jetboil so I could have coffee in a timely manner.... using it for food will be a bonus.
    Chere'

I bring tortillas, walmart sells dehydrated refried beans and knorr rice. I'll put some beans in one freezer bag, rice in another. Heat the water, pour it in the freezer bags, wrap in clothes or a cozy. 10 minutes later, bam. Bring some packets from taco bell or taco time. I also do the instant potatoes. I also have a jetboil. I'll buy bulk granola, add powdered milk into a freezer bag. Some times I'll bring a mtn house as well. I have the fry pan for the jetboil so I'll bring Krusteaz blueberry pancake mix and bacon bits for salad (not the crunchy kind). I'll even add the bacon to the pancakes. For simplicity mtn house is the way to go.

We do a lot of cous cous, quinoa, beans, pasta...

A couple great resources:
    backpackinglight food forum

http://trailcooking.com

10. Likes Tango, happycamper liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by brendans View Post
    We do a lot of cous cous, quinoa, beans, pasta...

A couple great resources:
    backpackinglight food forum

http://trailcooking.com
    I also use freezerbagcooking.com

12. Likes happycamper liked this post
    I'm a big fan of Mountain House and the other freeze-dried meals one can commonly find (always re-pack them before my hike to save space.)

HOWEVER... these can definitely get pricey for a longer trip. So... I've experimented with other items and one of my favorites is Zatarain's gumbo mixes (pasta or rice.) I add some slices of Slim Jim or other summer sausge to these and then add boiling water and let set for about 12 minutes... and it's pretty good (pasta can be a little al dente!) Some of the boxed pastas that require milk work OK with powdered milk too. I also really like cheese tortellini boiled for about 5 minutes and then add some oil and bacon bits and let set for another 3 minutes or so. Ramen and vaccum packed lemon-herb tuna is a favorite as well.

- Jamal

I'll second the zatarains. I like the jambalaya with some sliced up beef sticks. Another favorite is lipton chicken flavored rice and I'll add in a pack of precooked chicken, the kind that comes in the sealed packs like tuna. Neither of these are home prepared, but they sure taste great after a long day on the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by hoffam19 View Post
    I'll second the zatarains. I like the jambalaya with some sliced up beef sticks.
    I meant Jambalaya! I bet the Gumbo is good as well, but yeah, the Jambalaya with beef sticks is great. Just make sure it's a camp where you have plenty of water because it can leave a strong taste in your mouth if you don't have enough to drink!

- Jamal

The Walmart on 300W in SLC carries Mountain House freeze dried foods. They are way cheaper than buying them at REI. Walmart also sells knorr pasta . There is not much pasta in a package, so you need one per person, but they are cheap. Mac-and-cheese is also good. When the recipes call for milk I just use powered milk, and I just leave out the butter.

Winco bulk bin granola and powdered milk is my favorite for breakfast.

Typically for breakfast I have either Nutella or peanut butter on a tortilla. If I'm feeling adventurous, I also add some salted peanuts. Lunch is generally granola with powdered milk. Dinner is either Lipton Noodles or tortilla soup with one of those chicken packets that don't require refrigeration and some (very crumbled up) blue corn tortilla chips. I've been searching for a breakfast replacement, but haven't had much success.

Fantastic foods has some good stuff.. I'm a veggie.. But non veggies that I go with always think that they are the best meals :) Like someone said earlier.. Tortillas are great to bring. There's a taco mix by fantastic foods (you can get at smiths usually).. so I do tacos a lot (save my sauces from taco time).. Also, ive done falafel as well.. that's fun to bring pita bread and dried hummus mix with sundried tomatoes.. I also like to buy (though a little heavy, and usually use for my first meal..) the "tasty bite" indian food.. with cous cous (one of the best backpacking things ever!) ummmmm. dried chili mix with cornbread is good.. those simply asia boxes are good as well. i've also done sloppy joe mix from fantastic foods and make biscuits with that.. we also do breakfast burritos a lot with freezedried hashbrowns, tortillas, and dried sausage (mine veggie)..

another place that has good stuff is emergency essentials. you get a really big bang for your buck there. they have sooo many things. i recommend shopping there to stock up on stuff. you can get a shit ton (pardon my french) of food for ridiculously cheap!!! tons of things for like $10 in storage cans, and it tastes great! here's the link.. just check it out. you live kinda far away.. but when you visit slc you should go there or order stuff online.. just google emergency essentials (because i'm new it won't let me post the link).. it's be prepared dot com.. ;)
    hope i gave you a few ideas..

oh and popcorn is always fun to do as well :)

there are some asian recipes at this link by harvey halpern for backpacking.
    they are based on dehydrated foods, but they may also offer ideas too.

recipes

Hi! I am a veteran day hiker and a new overnight backpacker...so I know I am way too heavy in the pack BUT, I just made homemade crabcakes that were AWESOME! I took mayo (best foods brand) packets, dijon mustard packets, dehydrated green onions (pack it gourmet), egg white, and panko (japanese bread crumbs) with old bay seasoning (mixed at home and put into a zip lock), and a can of lump crab meat. Mixed it together - put a packet of olive oil in my pot (MSR whisper lite stove, gsi pot), and fried the crab cake on each side for about a minute on each side (one can makes two nice sized cakes). Oh my, complete heaven after hiking all day! I serve it with instant garlic mashed potatoes and mix up a packet of mayo and chili pepper sauce for dipping... I find my packets at restaurants and minimus.biz.

22. Likes blueeyes liked this post
    This website has a gigantic selection of on the trail meals. I particularly like the freezer bag cooking section; I refuse to 'do dishes' on the trail.

http://www.trailcooking.com/

Examples of Freezer Bag Recipes:
    Bacon and Cheese Pasta, Veggie Beef Rice, Chicken Veggie Rice, Spicy Asian Style Noodles, Double Chocolate Trail Pudding Pie, Cherry Chicken Couscous, Cranberry Almond Tabouli.

Free site btw.
    [COLOR=#800080][FONT=franklin gothic medium]"Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L

Last weekend on our Havasupai trip. Someone had an avocado that they mashed into a package of tuna. Yummmmmm! Think I will do that next time.
    Chere'