Thread: Is My Rope Kaput???

Is My Rope Kaput???

My brother and I set up a practice rappel station using the bucket/boom lift on a bucket truck ( the kind you see for telephone/cable companies ). While exiting the bucket and getting on rappel, my brother accidentally set his gloved hand on some grease and rappelled some 20 feet, smearing grease down the rope.

Noticing the grease on his glove, I checked the rope then immediately washed it with soap and water as best I could. A few small stains remained behind.

I know to keep my ropes clean, not to step on them, keep them from acids and alkaline, and to check them before/after every use for wear. Does grease ruin the rope as well? Should I lop off this part of the rope/save the rest and buy another 200' Canyonero to replace it?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Wash it with kerosene? Ha ha...

Grease is made out of what? Its pH is what?

Nylon rope is made out of what?

My bet is its ok.

Now, battery acid...another story...

Dawn and play on :)
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

Quote Originally Posted by DOSS View Post
    Dawn and play on :)
    +1

I'm in a similar situation. Last trip out we took the motorcycles and one of them barfed some of the contents from the breather tube onto my rope (the rope was tucked under the bike in the back of the truck). I just put the rope aside and have not used it. It's a nice 200 footer that's only been through about 20-30 canyons. I guess if I can find some actual data about polyesters immunity to oil and gas I'll use it again, otherwise it'll turn into an instructional aid.

Quote Originally Posted by agostinone View Post
    I'm in a similar situation. Last trip out we took the motorcycles and one of them barfed some of the contents from the breather tube onto my rope (the rope was tucked under the bike in the back of the truck). I just put the rope aside and have not used it. It's a nice 200 footer that's only been through about 20-30 canyons. I guess if I can find some actual data about polyesters immunity to oil and gas I'll use it again, otherwise it'll turn into an instructional aid.
    Oil and Gas mix is a solvent and I wouldn't use that rope if it were me :)
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

Quote Originally Posted by DOSS View Post
    Oil and Gas mix is a solvent and I wouldn't use that rope if it were me :)
    I had concluded that it wasn't worth the risk so I bought a new rope after "the spill". It kills me to put my old favorite to rest before its time. For reference here is a pretty good chart showing the chemical resistance of polyester. It shows that it is resistant to gas and oil (but no reference to the combo) so I went the safe route.

By the way, the chart shows that polyester is not immune to "chlorine water". I guess that means no more cleaning my ropes in the neighbors swimming pool.

"It kills me to put my old favorite to rest before its time."

Now you got two short ropes insteada one long one... not so bad