Thread: South Guardian Angel

South Guardian Angel

Joe Braun, Lud and Annette, Mark and Lyle and myself had an absolute beautiful day yesterday hiking South Guardian Angel! We started hiking at 7:01AM and got back to the cars at 7:45PM. I got us off track on the descent down into Left Fork, but after 45 Min. of blood drawing bushwacking was able to get us back on track! There was a wonderful breeze up top that was more than welcome on a somewhat warm, sunshine day. We all made it back with minimal sustained injuries and enjoyed Ice Cold Coronas and Limes, shared stories and laughs, then bid our farewells! Mark has promised a CD with photos, and I'm hoping that Joe Braun might chime in to this thread and share some of his beautiful photos. In any case I'll post photos as soon as I recieve Marks CD! The register on top had been replaced with a new one so I couldn't look back to see when I had last been up there! There had been a total of 4 other hikers so far this year that had logged their ascent.

Bump: Michael Schasch??? forget spelling? Anyway...his name was up there but he had spelled it with an "E" so I didn't recognize who? They had gone up the day before on thursday!

2. Likes tanya, blueeyes liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Haven't gotten the CD yet, but apparently Mark submitted a photo for an award!? Slightly "edited" as to not be too offensive or uncouth!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

5. Likes tanya liked this post
    The register on top had been replaced with a new one so I couldn't look back to see when I had last been up there! There had been a total of 4 other hikers so far this year that had logged their ascent.

My wife & I and a friend climbed this in early October, 2010. Quite a day. We thought we were going to be smart and instead of repeating the route backwards to get back out, we'd go off the west ridge and eventually drop back down into the Left Fork and hike back up to the LF trailhead where we stashed a second vehicle. Still took us 12 hours - got out at just about dark. Had to use headlamps about the last 5 minutes. Encountered 2 rattlesnakes within a few yards of each other at the bottom of the rappel on the west ridge. Wife almost got bit. That would have been really bad because it would have taken a major effort to get her out of there. The only confusion we had on the route was how & which way to go around the so-called "dome" just east Of NGA. Once we figured that out we easily found the cairns leading down. Near the bottom, you almost had to swing down from some tree branches at one particularly steep place. The climb out of Left Fork by the small arch was easier than expected. Did not need a rope for it. Climbing this peak was quite an adventure. If I did it again, would probably forget the west ridge and just turn around from the summit and come back. That ridge section is a major, thorny bushwhack! Took 5 hours to reach the summit from the Wildcat TH, so planning an 11 hour day is very reasonable.

7. Likes tanya liked this post
    Bogley BigShot
    Bushwhacking? Bo!? Oh no!