Thread: Hound hikes

Hound hikes

Longtime no post;
    Who's favorite hiking partner is a canine? My hound "Creek" and I enjoy hiking year round too keep in shape for Chukar hunting in the fall and winter. Too tell ya the truth I feel lost without my boy Creek along. So needless to say the Cottonwoods are out. Lets see them hounds

Outlawed

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

This is Hedwig on the Strawberry Narrows trail. Usually we are running up in the Foothills above City Creek. There is usually some chukar, pheasant, quail, and the occasional grouse up there.

Name:  Hedwig_1 (Medium)&.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  64.4 KB
    It's your fault, you shouldn't have been there!

Atlas, trail bauwse, some type of huge pitbull mix I got from a rescue shelter. Me an him, top of Paradise loop, chilling. I just got him some booties because he wears his toesies out on the asphalt running next to my bike. I'll have to take a more recent pic next time we go out.
    Name:  P3260343..jpg
Views: 378
Size:  71.4 KB
    Name:  P3260353..jpg
Views: 391
Size:  80.0 KB
    Name:  P3260347..jpg
Views: 328
Size:  73.2 KB
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

My boy Duke on the Citadel Hike, great at jumping and scrambleing up the rocks. Sand stone nail file is handy too.Name:  gps 047..jpg
Views: 287
Size:  103.1 KB

Excellente!!! So far we have a Vizla, Pit Bull & a Choco Lab. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    A few questions
    Is yer Vizla a bird hound?
    Is yer Pit Bull aggressive?
    Is yer Choco a water lover?

I had a yeller that gave his 100% to everything he did including water entry. Unfortunately his 100% led to his demise. Heat exhaustion took em from me at seven years young. Broke my gawd damn heart.

Oak
    Outlawed

Quote Originally Posted by QuillGordon View Post
    Is yer Pit Bull aggressive?
    Naw, but he does bark at horses for some reason. I'd rather he barks at nothing. I see them so infrequently (1 or 2x a year) it's hard for me to train him properly though. It's more like we come around a corner and BAM! Couple horses there, he barks at them, I tell him to STFU and everything is fine. But other than that I leave him off leash 100% of the time and have had zero other problems. No dog aggression or people aggression. My only other complaint is he doesn't give me any indication he is dying, he just keeps going and going and then when we get home he falls asleep for a couple hours like a dead dog, or has blisters on his toes. I'm used to more sensitive dogs where you can tell if they hurt their paws or are exhausted. With him I just have to guess, as he gives me zero indication he is physically suffering in any way.

I do notice some people really freak out around him though. He will come up to them with his tail wagging and a huge smile on his face and people literally pee their pants , yet he gives zero indication of aggression at all. Bummed about the stereotypes.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

My female lab/pointer mix loves to go hiking with us. She's approaching 9 years old so she doesn't go on the bigger hikes. She's good on canoe trips too as she doesn't jump out or rock the boat. She sleeps inside the tent down at my feet and doesn't move until morning! I have to cover her with blankies or she'll shiver.
    Name:  5296_105046903701_5&.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  25.2 KB
    Name:  759_36423578701_563&.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  23.9 KB
    Name:  14234_179598238701_&.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  13.6 KB
    Name:  232323232%7Ffp63=o&#1.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  10.7 KB

Hedwig the Vizsla is all about people until he smells the first bird then he is all business running around in a pattern, nose to the ground, tail wagging until he finds one. I run him where we can find birds. Chukar are his favorite, followed by pheasant and quail. Grouse are few and far. I don't have time or resources to learn to hunt so we just go out, he points, and I faux hunt. Once he locks up I work up to him depending on which way the birds will most likely fly, where my dog is, other people are, or anything I don't want to shoot. He flushes them and I track and shoot. No birds to clean, no gear to haul, and I can come back for days to birds in the same area. The first year I started playing this game with him it was harder than I thought and I learned a lot about where not to be when the birds were flushed. Hedwig had it down from day one.
    It's your fault, you shouldn't have been there!

we just go out, he points, and I faux hunt
    We do this in the off season. I carry a camera to hopefully capture the bird/birds. Thats a tough capture though as you know wild birds can haul azz.
    Do you encounter Rattlers in that area?

Outlawed

Bummed about the stereotypes.
    I understand. I usually take a little caution when we encounter a Pit Bull & put a leash my hound and a general "Hey is yer dog aggressive?" shout out to the owner remedies the anxiety.
    Outlawed

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gambel Oak View Post
    Hedwig the Vizsla is all about people until he smells the first bird then he is all business running around in a pattern, nose to the ground, tail wagging until he finds one. I run him where we can find birds. Chukar are his favorite, followed by pheasant and quail. Grouse are few and far. I don't have time or resources to learn to hunt so we just go out, he points, and I faux hunt. Once he locks up I work up to him depending on which way the birds will most likely fly, where my dog is, other people are, or anything I don't want to shoot. He flushes them and I track and shoot. No birds to clean, no gear to haul, and I can come back for days to birds in the same area. The first year I started playing this game with him it was harder than I thought and I learned a lot about where not to be when the birds were flushed. Hedwig had it down from day one.
    Hedwig! I love the name. That gave me a good chuckle this morning.
    Chere'

Our Border, Kokopelli, loves to get out and hike, if there is water involved, all the better. She has no interest in other humans and just a passing interest in other dogs, occasionally will bark at a horse.

Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

14. Likes blueeyes liked this post