Thread: Boundary, Red Hollow, Rock, Telephone?

Boundary, Red Hollow, Rock, Telephone?

Seeing as how the canyons that hold water are still rather cold, looking to get a condition report on a few more canyons. I appreciate any information you have. Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Boundary is a flowing water canyon, at least now. Cold, very cold.

http://canyoneeringusa.com/rave/1009bound/index.htm

How about Spry or Behunin? You got a bunch of noobs with you (well, I guess you do, cause they don't want to get wet). Those and Telephone might be a little much... the shortest of the three is Spry.

Red Hollow is kind of a one-hit wonder - if you want something like that, Jolley Gulch might be a better choice. Rock Canyon is nice if you have a full-size big-tire vehicle to glide over the soft sand road that leads out there.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Boundary is a flowing water canyon, at least now. Cold, very cold.

http://canyoneeringusa.com/rave/1009bound/index.htm

How about Spry or Behunin? You got a bunch of noobs with you (well, I guess you do, cause they don't want to get wet). Those and Telephone might be a little much... the shortest of the three is Spry.

Red Hollow is kind of a one-hit wonder - if you want something like that, Jolley Gulch might be a better choice. Rock Canyon is nice if you have a full-size big-tire vehicle to glide over the soft sand road that leads out there.

Tom
    Thanks Tom!

I should have clarified. We do have some noobs, but we'll likely be splitting up throughout the trip as I doubt everyone can muster 4 days of consecutive canyoneering. There will be a total of 8 of us, so 6-permit canyons are out of the question on some days.

3 of us, all of which are experienced and will have wetsuits, are heading down tonight and will probably hit Pine Creek on Thursday if we can grab a permit. Is it illegal to hitch hike through the tunnel? I know you can't walk through, and we won't have a shuttle car yet.

Everyone else arrives Thursday night, so probably hit a non-permit canyon with all 8 of us on Friday. Saturday I suspect the group will dwindle to to around 6 people , so thinking Spry that day... and probably hit a short 4-5hr canyon before heading home on Sunday.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by optikal View Post
    Thanks Tom!

I should have clarified. We do have some noobs, but we'll likely be splitting up throughout the trip as I doubt everyone can muster 4 days of consecutive canyoneering. There will be a total of 8 of us, so 6-permit canyons are out of the question on some days.

3 of us, all of which are experienced and will have wetsuits, are heading down tonight and will probably hit Pine Creek on Thursday if we can grab a permit. Is it illegal to hitch hike through the tunnel? I know you can't walk through, and we won't have a shuttle car yet.

Everyone else arrives Thursday night, so probably hit a non-permit canyon with all 8 of us on Friday. Saturday I suspect the group will dwindle to to around 6 people , so thinking Spry that day... and probably hit a short 4-5hr canyon before heading home on Sunday.

Thoughts or suggestions?
    Hitch hiking in the National Park is perfectly legal, as long as you do it safely. Pretty much SOP to have one person hitch up to fetch the car after a Pine Creek.

Lower Fridge is a nice downclimbing and rappelling canyon, nice and short - 4 hours.

http://www.canyoneeringcentral.com/u...or-canyon.html

(There's a couple glitches on the page - probably best to go straight to the pdf on the Maps and Info tab.)

Tom

Perfect, thanks again for all the info.

Props on the new site, it's coming along well. I thoroughly enjoy the new layout and how easy it is to get to the meat of details. Having a printable PDF seals it off very nicely.