Thread: Misery, Pine Creek, Spry, Key Hole?

Misery, Pine Creek, Spry, Key Hole?

Going down this weekend and looking to do the mentioned canyons. Anyone have any recent condition reports (I already looked at the Trip Reports, last one is from a month ago)? Think Keyhole/Misery can be done without a wetsuit this time of year?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Well, since no one else seems to want to pipe in...

Misery - painful when it is hot out. No wet suits required.
    Keyhole - it is generally hot enough out to do Keyhole without a wetsuit; but many would regret this decision.
    Pine - I think you would want a wetsuit.
    Spry - a wetsuit lets you go through the best parts without hesitation, but it can certainly be done without.

Tom

We did keyhole last weekend. Wear a wetsuit. I did das boot/subway and kolob last weekend. Water is freezing! I was fine in my 4/3 but my hands were numb. I also just reserved pine creek permits and the rangers are saying there is a dead animal in one of the holes.

P.s. Tom, your ropes are bad ass!

We did Pine Creek and Keyhole on April 29th. We wore 4/3 wet suits with neoprene gloves and were comfortable for the most part since the swims are short. We suited up before keyhole, ran up the slope (while nearly suffering heat exhaustion), dropped into keyhole and were very comfortable all the way through the canyon. We kept our suits on, drove to the Pine Creek parking lot, ate lunch, got hassled by some tourists: "I didn't know they had scuba here!" I heard someone say. We just laughed. After a quick lunch, we dropped into Pine Creek.

Pine Creek was nice! Didn't see any dead animals but I thought I smelled something strange in one spot in particular, which kept me moving very quickly through one of the swims. Lots of Boulder hopping on the exit hike! Oh, and we had some difficulties finding the the anchor for the last rappel. We actually used the old log for our anchor, which made the pull a pain in the you know what.

Make sure to bring shorts to change into for the hike out of Pine Creek.

Have fun! I can't wait to go back!

Tyler

I did Pine Creek and Keyhole last weekend in a drysuit, and I'm glad I had it. I was still cold going through both. As for the dead animal in Pine Creek, you won't see it, but you'll smell it!

Thank you everyone!

A bit bummed to hear Pine Creek still needs a wetsuit but I suspected that. Most of my group doesn't want to do the wetsuit route, so looks like we'll be sticking to the drier canyons.

I went down keyhole saturday and pinecreek tuesday. They were both cold. I wore a 4/3 and was chilly in both. Doing Keyhole without one sounds

UPDATE:

Went down Pine Creek on Thursday. Wore a 4/3 and it would have been really cold without it. Lots of pools and swims. It was my first time through so I can't really compare, but it was a blast! Started to get a little cold in the middle but we just kept moving and it was fine.

Out of curiosity, what is the biggest factor of how deep the water is on Pine Creek. I can't seem to find any rhyme or reason as to how much water is in there year after year..

I always thought it was snowmelt which would explain the deep waters last year, but I would have thought that with the shallow snow pack this year it would be almost dry by now...

Hoping there is a slight chance it will dry up by Memorial Day. The swimming is fun and all but that water can be a little even with a 4/3

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by rurri View Post
    Out of curiosity, what is the biggest factor of how deep the water is on Pine Creek. I can't seem to find any rhyme or reason as to how much water is in there year after year..

Jason
    Welcome to canyoneering. That is the fun. One storm, one winter, one rock fall, one fire, one tree falling into the canyon, etc., can change the canyon in a significant way. Pine Creek, the first time I did it was bone dry. No water anywhere. The last rap was pre-rock fall making the rap longer and prettier. One anchor mid canyon was 10-15 feet higher - now no need for a rap. Canyons are dynamic. That is why I have no problem doing the same canyons over and over again.
    Life is Good

I can't answer exactly why Pine Creek is wet or dry.... but... I can tell you an easy way to figure out what you are in for...

From http://climb-utah.com/Zion/pinecreek.htm

Pine Creek has the ability to hold a large amount of water. This canyon can be completely dry or contain long, cold sections of swimming depending on recent weather. I have discovered the following observations are fairly accurate for judging the amount of water you will encounter in Pine Creek. If you encounter a short swim across a pothole to reach the first rappel anchor you are in for major swimming since the canyon will be completely filled with water. If you encounter wading to cross the pothole before the first rappel you will encounter wading of approximately equal depth in the canyon. If the pothole before the first anchor is dry the canyon probably contains little if any water. I pass this observation on since it is only 100 yards from the first rappel anchor back to the trailhead where you can re-equip to match canyon conditions. If you want to be guaranteed of staying warm than always bring a wetsuit.

Some people promote the heck out of helmet usage, and some promote the heck out of their beta websites. (Not bad things IMO, just sayin')

www.candition.com is a great resource (if we all start using it). I'll gladly promote the heck out of that website.
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    www.candition.com is a great resource (if we all start using it). I'll gladly promote the heck out of that website.
    X2

It's quick and easy to post, and also a very efficient way to get up-to-date conditions (though brief--for better or worse depending on the viewpoint).