Thread: Dark Canyon End of May, Questions

Dark Canyon End of May, Questions

Greetings, I am planning on a solo trip in the Dark Canyon Wilderness the last week of May. I'm new to hiking in this area, though I'll be doing Coyote Gulch and Zion Traverse beforehand which should give me some experience.

What loop would you recommend? I'm looking for anything from 3-6 days. Nothing too technical. I'm ok with a map and compass but am not completely confident with intense route-finding. Also, would prefer a loop with pretty good water access for this time of year. I'd love to see some ruins.

I have some more questions but i'll leave it at this for now

Thanks kindly,
    Brad

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The best parts of Dark Canyon are between Youngs and Lost Canyon and then near the Colorado River. The Woodenshoe/Peavine Loop is not nearly as good as these sections, but it does have a few ruins. Make sure to see the best sections.

PS, if you aren't that good at route finding, I'd suggest not trying to put together a loop. Hike in via the Sundance Trail and hike up or down canyon from there. There are many nice loops in Dark Canyon, but all of them require routefinding except for possibly the Woodenshoe Peavine Loop which isn't as good as some of the other sections.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.