Thread: Webbing question

Webbing question

How much webbing would you suggest to bring along for a 5 day trip through the key Cedar Mesa canyons (Cheesebox, Gravel, Fry, and possibly Long). Not counting Black Hole since there are no rappels.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    May I ask you to offer up a guess, with reasoning, before hearing from the Bogley Bigshots?

Tom

I would guess that 200ft for the total would probably do or even be over kill but am not certain.
    I read to bring 100ft along in most canyons. I'd hope to not have to leave anywhere near that much behind in each!!!

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Yeah, that's a bit much. Here's a suggestion:

Figure out roughly how many rappels in each canyon. Now, how much webbing would be needed to rig a rappel? Some take a lot, some take a little, so for say Cheesebox, Shane says there are 4 raps. If we new little else, we might think, well, say two anchors are easy and two are hard, so two take 6 feet of webbing, and two take 15 feet of webbing =>42 feet round up to 50 feet, and 4 rings. Shane's says "abundant natural anchors" but that does not mean they are close to the edge. Also, it is 'the spring', so it likely has not been done MUCH this year, so there is a good chance you will have to replace at least some, perhaps all of the anchors.

Gravel, kinda the same thing, except it is done less than Cheese, and you might be the first this year, so anticipate replacing all the anchors. Two rappels, bring 30 feet and two rings.

Fry Canyon, more roadside. Might bring a bit of spare just because you can. The anchor sling is out in the sun so it gets fried faster: 50 feet.

Black Hole: I'd bring at least a short rope, and I bring a harness or two for the group. never know when things will shift and there will be a mandatory rappel again. There are usually ropes fixed at the hardest places, but they get hammered by floods and not replaced often. The Black Hole does not get done alot between Jan 1st and summer.

So - How's that: Maybe 150 feet to bring on the trip total, and 50 feet each day.

Tom

Fantastic information!!! Thank you very much! That's roughly what I was thinking but I'd rather have as much info going in as possible. Thanks again!

Tom,
    That was a very nice teaching moment. Well, done. I think many people can and will use that logic.

I just spent 4 days on Cedar Mesa. You can find current conditions for Cheese Box, Gravel, Black Hole, and Duckett at http://candition.com/
    Anchors for the canyons we did are either new or in good condition. I would take a little webbing in there just in case you find something not to your liking.
    We rapped in Black Hole a couple times because the drops were big and water low. We didn't leave any webbing. The fixed rope at the 'hardest' spot is in good condition.
    Penny

Very awesome link and info about the Cedar Mesa canyons! Thank you very much Penny!