Thread: Baptist Draw / Upper Chute Canyons

Baptist Draw / Upper Chute Canyons

Tony, Stephanie and I hiked through Baptist Draw and Upper Chute Canyons on May 5th, 2012. This was Tony's first canyoneering adventure.

We had mixed feelings about this hike. It took forever (9.5 hours) and the exit sucked. We estimate the length of the Baptist/Chute/Fault loop to be about 10 miles. 6 of those miles are pretty dull. The middle 4 miles are really good. If there is a way to shave 3 or 4 miles off the slog (i.e. possible car at the top and bottom) Baptist/Chute would be worth it.

On the postive side, the slotty section in Baptist is excellent, and really easy to get through. The 80 ft rappel is very scenic and fun. Upper Chute is physical and beautiful.

THE BEST PART OF THIS HIKE IS THE SECTION OF UPPER CHUTE JUST NORTH OF THE BIG RAPPEL. IT IS AMAZING!! YOU WOULD WANT POSTERS OF IT HANGING IN YOUR HOUSE!!
    (However we left our cameras in our packs at the bottom of the big rappel, so we don't have any photos to share.)

The entire route was completely dry, no bugs. Details posted at www.candition.com.

Bob

Name:  IMG_3985..JPG
Views: 1335
Size:  123.3 KB

Name:  IMG_3981..JPG
Views: 1511
Size:  294.8 KB

You know you have a canyoneering addiction when you own a Hanksville T-Shirt.

Name:  IMG_4001..JPG
Views: 1174
Size:  129.6 KB

Name:  IMG_4032..JPG
Views: 1231
Size:  234.5 KB

Name:  IMG_4013..JPG
Views: 1188
Size:  184.7 KB

Name:  IMG_3989..JPG
Views: 1183
Size:  203.4 KB

Name:  IMG_4010..JPG
Views: 1212
Size:  200.5 KB

Name:  IMG_3991..JPG
Views: 1152
Size:  156.0 KB

Name:  IMG_4030..JPG
Views: 1183
Size:  221.5 KB

http://amazingslots.blogspot.com/201...per-chute.html
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

very nice TR and pics. Thanks.

The Baptist Draw and UP Chute loop is lots shorter, and more fun with tighter narrows and some scrambling climbing. Glad I did the lower loop out Fault, but agree it took forever to finish. Like the upper loop lots better, and in half the time.

5. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    I hiked this last year in August. Bad time for hiking in the swell. We started a 5:30 in the morning to beat the heat. The hike to the canyon and through the slot was very nice. Hiking out the fault and crossing the big ravine just before reaching the truck was a killer. It was 100 degrees when we got to truck. It took us about 8 hours. I loved the canyon and would do it again just when it’s cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by rick t View Post
    The Baptist Draw and UP Chute loop is lots shorter, and more fun with tighter narrows and some scrambling climbing. Glad I did the lower loop out Fault, but agree it took forever to finish. Like the upper loop lots better, and in half the time.
    Yeah, going up chute and out is way faster than going out through fault. I've done both and prefer the up and out chute route better. From the Baptist junction you go up chute until there is an easy exit on the left. There are some faint use trails on top you can follow. Just make sure you pick some good landmarks to site in on that you located before you started the canyon. I think the navigation ends up easier that way as well. I haven't done it in awhile and last time I did the out fault canyon route, so it's been awhile. But up chute and out picks off the best parts of the canyon with minimum slog.
    - Gavin

Glad to hear that there is a route out the top of Chute. I was hoping there was. The canyon is beautiful but the slogg out and up Fault makes for a long day.
    How far up Chute is the exit point? I went up a while but then turned around to make sure I got out the bottom in daylight.

Quote Originally Posted by ActionPacker View Post
    Glad to hear that there is a route out the top of Chute. I was hoping there was. The canyon is beautiful but the slogg out and up Fault makes for a long day.
    How far up Chute is the exit point? I went up a while but then turned around to make sure I got out the bottom in daylight.
    It looks like about 0.35 miles from the big rappel to where the slot opens up temporarily (possible escape?). From there, it appears that the slot continues on for a quarter mile and opens up permanantly. I would probably just finish that off then hike out.
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Sweet TR man, looks like a blast.

I did Baptist Draw/Upper Chute Canyon last spring and I also thought the exit out Faultline Canyon was just too damn long for such a short narrows sections. Just below the 80ft rap someone had written in mud on the wall a message about it being too muddy up Chute Canyon, so we didn't even explore, next time I'm definitely exiting that way.

Last spring we did Baptist Draw/Upper Chute and the narrow section through the upper secton of Chute had waist deep water. It was fun and exciting this being our first technical canyon. I didn't think the exit was too far from the 80' rappel and that part of the canyon was really nice.

Yes, I agree. I've hit both exit routes and going up Upper Chute canyon to exit only took us a total of 4 hours round trip. That was with 7 guys too. The long exit sucks ass.

We have done the Baptist/Upper Chute exit several times. The exit occurs as the canyon finally opens up from the slot section. Ths is where it bends back to a northerly direction on the map. If you come to a place where two side canyons intersect the main at virtually the same place, you've gone too far. The exitis on the west side and you can easily scramble up to a terrace, pick up some use trails and follow generally west looking for a short canyon that drops you back down into Baptist west of where it narrows up. From there, repeat your route back to your vehicle. The narrows north of Baptist are the best part of Chute. At times, when there's a lot of water, upper egress can be difficult.

Thanks for the info about the upper chute exit.
    Just wanted to share one of my favorite shots from our trip in 2010. Camera was not in focus but shows the awesomeness of the upper chute section.Name:  Val_climb_baptist_fix.jpg
Views: 833
Size:  49.7 KB