Thread: North Wash canyons conditions

North Wash canyons conditions

Checking to see if anyone has definitive conditions report on the North Wash/Irish canyons or Angel slot areas. A couple of reports from last weekend (28 - 29th) sound like nothing has really changed and they're all still mostly dry or low water at best but wanted to check anyhow. Thunderstorms that rolled through Utah last Wed & thurs may have left things a little wetter from older reports.
    Also, would welcome an opportunity to meet any other canyoneers heading there this weekend & doing a canyon or two together - if you think you can handle a couple of able-bodied but aging geezers. Send us a PM if interested. We'll be coming from Grand Junction Sat morning and will arrive around 9:30 AM. Planning on staying into Sunday.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I hear the blood sucking gnats from hell are coming into season.... which means the North Wash season is ending.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    I hear the blood sucking gnats from hell are coming into season.... which means the North Wash season is ending.
    They're already showing up around Moab & Grand Jct too which really starts to limit our choices. Does insect repellent work on 'em very well and do they tend to be worse down in the canyons/slots or around the campsite?

My wife and I were in the Poison Springs area last weekend. We did not encounter any wading or any gnats. We went through Slideanide and Adobe Swale, camping at Adobe Swale. No bugs to report, although it was breezy up where we were and things could be quite buggier down at Sandthrax.

Quote Originally Posted by canyoncaver View Post
    My wife and I were in the Poison Springs area last weekend. We did not encounter any wading or any gnats. We went through Slideanide and Adobe Swale, camping at Adobe Swale. No bugs to report, although it was breezy up where we were and things could be quite buggier down at Sandthrax.
    Good to know. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by peakbaggers View Post
    They're already showing up around Moab & Grand Jct too which really starts to limit our choices. Does insect repellent work on 'em very well and do they tend to be worse down in the canyons/slots or around the campsite?
    There is no repellent I know of the works.

Where the gnats are is really hit and miss throughout the season. Sometimes changing elevation as little as 100' or location by only a couple of miles will be enough to eliminate the gnats.

For example: last year we did the Black Hole at the end of May. The gnats were terrible at the lower trailhead and almost non-existent at the upper trailhead. We found none in the Black Hole itself. I've also been in Cedar Mesa when you would get munched to death in Butler Wash and the gnats were no where to be found in Mule Canyon or Grand Gulch.

With North wash I've had gnats at Sandthrax and Leprechaun, but moved over to the Maidenwaters or Potion Springs and found none.

So my advise is have a few options and if the gnats are at your first choice just switch locations and see if you can avoid them.

Gnats also like a bit of fresh flesh, so feel free to follow Iceaxe closely and he'll keep them off you!

Post trip report: Went ahead and took the chance and went to North Wash area on Saturday & Angel Slot on Sunday. No significant problem with the gnats. Enough canyon breezes to keep them away? Did not stay at Sandthrax though. Stayed down at Hog Springs.

Stayed at Hog Springs???? Tent camp?? Sleep in truck/car?

Just slept in back of pickup along with 3 other vehicles parked there for the night. Plenty of people were camped at Sandthrax (though not full by any means) and didn't have to make a morning Hog Spring "run." There's also a large, level wooden platform there near the shelters - I assume for tents? Large enough to accommodate several tents. No potable water.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Is there a sign there that says "no camping"? I don't remember seeing one (but that is a memory question).

T

Did not see a plainly posted sign, but maybe didn't "want" to see one. What's that big wooden platform for anyway? Have seen people sleeping overnight on the platform, tents set up, others sleeping on the tables and vehicles clearly parked there overnight, so figured we'd try it and see if we got run off. Was only there one night. Something that smelled like an animal carcass was rotting in the dumpster - so had to distance ourselves from it & watch the wind direction. I do suppose if it became too popular for overnighters the BLM might step in though.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by peakbaggers View Post
    Did not see a plainly posted sign, but maybe didn't "want" to see one. What's that big wooden platform for anyway? Have seen people sleeping overnight on the platform, tents set up, others sleeping on the tables and vehicles clearly parked there overnight, so figured we'd try it and see if we got run off. Was only there one night. Something that smelled like an animal carcass was rotting in the dumpster - so had to distance ourselves from it & watch the wind direction. I do suppose if it became too popular for overnighters the BLM might step in though.
    The main problem for camping usually is the lack of a loo - but there is a loo so might be legal but not encouraged, as in, it is not stated as a campground.

However, since there is not water there, and they don't want to build a water system, I don't think they can make it an official campground. Probably better for us, because an official campground would likely mean a fee.

I figured the platform was a place they were going to build a pavilion but decided against it, but maybe it is kind of a stealth tent platform.

Tom

That location has the nicest, cleanest, least smelly vault toilet we have ever encountered, especially for being in the middle of nowhere. Someone really takes good care of it! Almost a pleasure to use. They just need to empty the trash.