Thread: Last rappel in the Subway?

Last rappel in the Subway?

http://www.nps.gov/zion/planyourvisi...servations.htm

The photo caption on the website reads, "Last rappel in the Subway"

What do y'all think about this photo and its caption?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Looks like they are using a handline (which is more dangerous) and not rappeling.

HELMETS.... 1st bitchez....

i have never used nor brought a harness down subway, unless doing the optional das boot or russels gultch. When doing straight subway i always handline. I can understand if there are crazy noobs going down but even still you can dang near slide down that last drop and have someone catch you, I don't advise doing that but it is very short.
    IT ALWAYS LOOKS HIGHER FROM THE TOP!!!!

In the old days (1980's), many people (including us) use to climb up and down that pitch with no rope at all. Obviously times have changed. There used to be a log you could climb up just to the right of this rappel, but the normal descent route was to down climb the above photo (the log was hard to downclimb). Last time we were in the Subway, the last vertical part seemed a little higher than it was in the 1980's , but maybe my memory has just faded since then. Downclimbing the pitch certainly has some danger of spraining or breaking an ankle so rapping it is certainly safer.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by canyonguru View Post
    i have never used nor brought a harness down subway, unless doing the optional das boot or russels gultch. When doing straight subway i always handline. I can understand if there are crazy noobs going down but even still you can dang near slide down that last drop and have someone catch you, I don't advise doing that but it is very short.
    oooh oooh oooh guru... may I canyon at your feet? I am not worthy..... WE are not worthy... you're such a stud.

But I digress...

Well, different strokes for different folks, I guess. They only break a limb once or twice or thrice a year on that 'rap'. Usually takes close to 24 hours to get them out. There was a broken knee out there a couple years ago, musta been about 15 minutes after we left (good light kept us there for 2 hours taking pics). Gal was handlining, right at the lip caught the hem of her pants on one of the bolts; reached down to fix it and... Tib/Fib just below the knee? Yikes. 24 hours later plucked off by helicopter, delivered to St George.

Since it would be excruciatingly embarrassing for ME to get rescued there, I bring a harness and rappel. That last one, we sometimes rap there, sometime rap off the log where the waterfall is, which is more fun. Have downclimbed a series of ledges upcanyon of this rap, but without a log there, the drop down to the hard-packed sand is a little much for my ancient bones and joints, so I don't drop it any more. Climbed up that way in 1999 -- musta been a log -- now it looks impossible to climb up without a log to help out.

Kinda irresponsible for the Park to show pics of irresponsible behavior. You wanna do it that way - fine with me. ADVERTISE doing it that way - not so good.

Also noticed on the Park website a pictures of Das Boot in dry conditions, person hiking in shorts and tee, no helmet, no wetsuit, etc. Yeah, the Park ain't real sharp on the website careful editing.

Tom

First time I did the Subway we just downclimbed right up next to the waterfall there. It wasn't too bad. But then, I'd say for most people it might be better to rappel. The second time, when it was in raging torrent of death mode, we all rappelled.
    --Cliff

Until recent years we always just downclimbed everything. And I still don't wear a helmet when hiking. The subway is still just a hike in my book. YMMV

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    I bring a harness and rappel.
    X2 Heck, why not rappel here?

I've done this 'rap' with nothing but a $9 Home Depot rope as a handline (not my idea). I've also rapped it.

It's funny, I've been down The Subway several times with a bunch of newbies. If you tell them there is a rappel, they initially get freaked out, but do just fine when it comes time to conquer the obstacle.

But, if you tell your friends they don't have to rappel, and expect them to handline, then some people really get freaked out when it is time to face that obstacle.

IMO the handline is both more frightening, and more dangerous. YMMV.

Bob
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Lately I have always had a harness since I am the meat anchor at the boulder and the meat and lower at keyhole falls for all the noobs (family and friends) I have taken there in recent years. I find that spot much more enjoyable to rappel than to hand line, having done both many times.
    Life is Good

When we go with the Scouts we usually take a few slings and a few rappeling devices. Put the sling around there waist rig them for rappel and down they go. Works quite well. As each touches down pop the sling off and toss it back up. We do the same thing in Orderville. Not as safe as a harness but does the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    HELMETS.... 1st bitchez....

This one could go either way, depends on the person....

On the larger issue, I do think we have become a pit paranoid as a society. YMMV