Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Clipping in

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    My platforms release immediately
    +1

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by double moo View Post
    If the pedals are called "clipless", why do we "clip in"?
    Because with 'toe clips' you don't 'clip in' - silly...

Clipping in...new shoes!

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340932274.851164.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  25.8 KB

I just switched to clip less from platforms a couple weeks ago. I've noticed I can hit downhills and jumps a lot harder without worrying about my feet getting bumped off the pedals. They also make uphills more manageable. I'm riding with SPD pedals and have been considering trying Egg Beaters for more points of entry. Anybody have any advice as to whether Egg Beaters make much difference from the SPDs?

6. Likes New Mexico liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by trek87 View Post
    I just switched to clip less from platforms a couple weeks ago. I've noticed I can hit downhills and jumps a lot harder without worrying about my feet getting bumped off the pedals. They also make uphills more manageable. I'm riding with SPD pedals and have been considering trying Egg Beaters for more points of entry. Anybody have any advice as to whether Egg Beaters make much difference from the SPDs?
    I like my egg beaters far batter than I did my SPD's, easier entry, even caked with mud I could just shove my foot on and clip in. nothing to adjust or go out of adjustment. Then again if you have SPD's I wouldn't change until you have a hardware failure unless you really just like to change parts :)
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

Tried to clip in, but hated it. Some of my worst MTB injuries were received while being clipped in. I have used platforms for about 4 years now and will never go back. I ride easy Florida rock quarry terrain, been to Moab and Sedona to ride, and never bashed my shins or had platform-related injuries. The argument about how being clipped in allows more endurance/force to be applied to the pedal is also questionable. My legs fatigued the same and my ride times are the same regardless if I'm clipped or un clipped. Clipless, in my opinion, was something brought over by the crossover roadie/MTB crowd, and I personally feel that it has its place on certain trails. I could see being clipped if I were riding the Kokopelli or Arizona Trail, but if I were on Porcupine Rim or Amasa Back, there is no way I'd want to be clipped in. just my two pennies.

Quote Originally Posted by rich67 View Post
    The argument about how being clipped in allows more endurance/force to be applied to the pedal is also questionable. My legs fatigued the same and my ride times are the same regardless if I'm clipped or un clipped.
    You are aware that you are also supposed to pull UP when clipped in to create a full circle of power... Not sure how if you are using them correctly you could have the exact same fatigue as there are different muscles used when you pull up than when you push down..
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

Clipping in

Yes, I am aware of that. However, most of my riding is up and down and rarely flat, lengthy riding. When climbing, I was not able to "pull up", so maybe I was doing it wrong...Who knows. I still stand by my opinion that they have their place on certain trails I personally don't see any distinct advantage, but it may be that my technique was off.

Sent from my iPhone4S using Tapatalk
    Mountain guy trapped in the wetlands of Florida.

Clipping in

I ride a single speed and couldn't live without them. It's all about being to pull up. I ride technical stuff and when standing on a SS I need to yank the peddle up to maintain momentum on certain sections.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

http://www.bikejames.com/wp-content/...dal-Stroke.pdf
    Not trying to create an argument, but I really think the clipless pedals myths are definitely being promoted heavily, and may have no merit. Granted, everyone is entitled to their opinions, but I can honestly say it is simply a matter of preference, and it really doesn't appear to be a distinct advantage either way. If you feel more comfortable with it, then go for it. But if you're like me and have had some bad experiences being clipped in, then give the platforms a try and you may be happier.

Yeah, all about preference. When somebody says I could do something better while clipped in, well they could do something better not clipped in.