Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Clipping in

Quote Originally Posted by double moo View Post
    If the pedals are called "clipless", why do we "clip in"?
    I've often wondered that too??

I use old school Time ATAC pedals just like Iceaxe has. From what I've seen, the new Time pedals really aren't that different.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    I've often wondered that too??

I use old school Time ATAC pedals just like Iceaxe has. From what I've seen, the new Time pedals really aren't that different.
    Waaayyyy back in the old days we used straps with metal/plastic clips that went over the front third of your foot that were called toe clips! I'm sure most of us have seen them because some guys still use them and you can buy them new still. Anyway, that's where the clipless moniker came from because the new style pedals did not have "toe clips". History lesson over .

Ah ha! Yeah, I figured it had to do with those. I had them on the first couple bikes...

Kinda confusing still!!

A small (relative to Ice's injury....) counter-argument to NOT clipping in:

Foot comes off of pedal, pedal comes around, pin gouges shin down to bone. Luckily I was the "medic" in this case and not the victim.

Debate. Go.

Quote Originally Posted by neilether View Post
    A small (relative to Ice's injury....) counter-argument to NOT clipping in:

Foot comes off of pedal, pedal comes around, pin gouges shin down to bone. Luckily I was the "medic" in this case and not the victim.

Debate. Go.
    I've had that happen back in the day when I still had the "clip" type pedals. It wasn't that severe, but every once it a while it would happen and really smack you in the shin.

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    I am no fan of clipless or "clipping in" but I do have a rather large growth on my shin from the pedal coming around and smacking my shin bone as a kid over and over. Weak spot in the bone now... should I ever break that leg probably where it will break. Still very tender any time I bump it or even if you lightly press on it. I think you have to pick your poison and at some point in time you will question if it was right. Such as glasscutter accident where he wasn't clipped in and lost the pedal or Ice's injury being clipped in and flaying his leg open. I would like to ride clipless on my mountain bike because it is more efficient but I wouldn't try half the stuff I do if I was clipped in because I need to "feel" like I can get off the bike at a moments notice with out the added issue of twisting my foot the right direction. It also doesn't help that the first set of clipless pedals I bought the bike tech set them up backwards and I had no clue and tried riding like that for 3 months before I went back to the shop frustrated and wanted my old pedals back. Or the second set (came stock with the Safire) that no matter how hard I tried wouldn't release my foot and there was no way to adjust the tension. I am scared to death now to ride clipless.

So I choose to give up efficiency for freedom. I will probably reevaluate that one day when I don't feel I need the freedom anymore.
    Chere'

Clipped in 100% of the time. Crank bros Candy 2's because they match the color of my Iodine wheelset.

I rode clipped in pedals for many years (time pedals were my favorite) and felt they were second nature. Then I spent a day at Deer Valley on the fun stuff, came home and ordered platforms. I like Azonic's with five ten low impact shoes.
    Sometimes in the rough stuff clippless is too slow no matter how good you are at it.

From last night's ride on Mueller Park

100% clipped in on the road, 100% clipped in on my hard tail bike, Platforms on my FS but wish I had clips for those uphill sections :)
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

All I can say is that my bad wrecks would have been a lot worse if I were clipped in. I can't remember ever losing my pedals though, my feet might have shifted on them once in a while but the little tip overs shown in the video from last night happen a lot more often than the little mishaps with platforms.

I just don't like tipping over.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    I just don't like tipping over.
    Wuss

In the guys defense on the video...it was his first ride using clip in pedals.

Some of you guys have been riding with them for years and still cant get it right.

Noob!
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

More adventures with clipless pedals from last night

Notice now he's falling and the bike is still attached, twisting his knee. ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    More adventures with clipless pedals from last night

Notice now he's falling and the bike is still attached, twisting his knee. ouch.

Looks like someone should adjust their cleats a bit as it should have released when he got to 30* of rotation (or sooner since he is a noob) and it didn't....
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Mark! Don't take out your knee.
    Chere'

20. Likes rich67 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by helmetsandarmor123 View Post
    Most clipless pedals are SPD compatible, which fit Shimano-style cleats.
    This isn't really a very true statement. Be very careful if you are buying pedals and make sure you have the matching cleats. There are a lot of different pedals out there. Yes, old Ritchey cleats can jam into SPD pedals. Yes, you can likely jam random cleats into different pedals. However, this will greatly effect how you are able to release your foot from their potential deathgrip.

Nooooobs...