Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Neon

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nielse2 View Post
    If you look closely I do have a helmet... Although I confess I have not been able to convert my friends yet...
    Subtle it is, that helmet, on the rappeller turned away.

Tom

2. Likes neonandmore liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Pothole escaping and the variety of techniques used is one of my favorite aspects of canyoneering. One thing not mentioned above is the use of extendable poles, (without drilling or picking). The photos below show a deep keeper in Quandary Direct in low water condition. Mike used a pole (an extendable golf ball retriever with the end removed) and some duct tape to place a hook with webbing and an etrier hanging from it. Obviously, after the first person escapes, there are easier ways to get everyone else past the obstacle but we each practiced the technique as if we were soloing or were first man in. I cannot remember if this one was a swimmer or if we could stand on the bottom.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

5. Likes neonandmore liked this post
    Back to Neon Conditions:

Was down Neon way this past weekend - 5/6/2012. Lots of folks in the Hood. Before, there
    were many conflicting conditions reports - prompting me to clarify.

Malia, Dean and crew went up in at the Tri-borough Bridges, and found water up
    there worthy of wet suits. Perhaps they would add to this report.

We rapped in at the "Tree entrance", which is above the More Fun and Fork Chop
    entrances. We found very little water in Neon. There was one brief swim before
    Fork Chop, then one brief swim after Keeper Pothole #2. The rap at the Cathedral
    landed in waist-deep water.

Unlike most canyons, because of the multiple entrances, the Keepers in Neon are
    usually discussed from the bottom up. So "The Neon Keeper" is the one right
    before the Cathedral. It was knee deep at entrance, and has a lot of gravel
    washed in, so most people can exit with a little help or on their own mantling
    abilities.

Keeper #2 is between the More Fun and the Sport entrance, and is dry. Yields
    easily to a partner boost with a pack toss rope to help with getting over the
    lip. There is also the option of climbing out and rapping off the bolt up there
    back into the canyon; or stemming over and sliding down; or stemming over and
    dropping a weighted pack or potshot; or climbing out and over to the bolt,
    hopping to the other side and walking the bench downcanyon to the moki steps,
    which avoids the swim.

There were Cedar gnats at the trailhead, and just a few lower down. No
    significant biting bugs further in, but some kind of leaf-muncher was working
    the cottonwoods at the mouth of neon, and dropping down upon our camp there, and
    crawling all over the tents. Fully-sealed tents highly recommended.

The Escalante River was higher than expected, and we had to hunt for (and we
    found) stream crossings that did not knock us over, but were perhaps up to waist
    deep. The water seemed higher in the afternoon and evening, but back down by
    morning. Water quality was particularly murky in the evening - not sure why. A
    little higher water and I would want to drybag my pack before attempting a
    crossing.

Webbing at the Cathedral was as usual excessive, but most looked very new. Mike
    replaced the worn piece at the end. Looks like someone had pulled their rope
    through it - it was cut through about 1/3 of the way! No ring in place. People
    had used this an hour before we got there - sc-a-a-a-a-a-a-ary! Don't do that!
    Mike extended it to get a good pull / minimize rope grooves and put a big fat
    rapid link on it.

If'n you head down there, don't expect to have it to yourself, and do be
    prepared to play well with others. Thanks.

Tom

Tom

Thanks for the report. Headed in there next weekend.

Ken

Tom, were wetsuits necessary for the route you did?

No wetsuits needed, from where we went in down.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    No wetsuits needed, from where we went in down.

Tom
    Thanks for the info. I must admit, I was hoping for a full canyon..... I am sure it will still be a great experience.

Quote Originally Posted by jon.moab View Post
    Thanks for the info. I must admit, I was hoping for a full canyon..... I am sure it will still be a great experience.
    Malia and Dean who went up higher said they found considerable water and were glad to have wetsuits.

Tom

Malia and Dean who went up higher said they found considerable water and were glad to have wetsuits.

Tom
    As I am not familiar with Neon (this will be my first time through), could you please provide a bit more info on the upper section Malia and Dean went through? I have read the beta on your website about the middle section, which requires one hike an extra mile above the normal drop in. Is this what you are referring to? Do you have a GPS waypoint to the upper drop in? Are there any substantial obstacles (potholes, down-climbs, rappels)? Anchors?

Thanks!!!

I like to leave quite a bit of adventure available for those who seek it out, so you may find my answer unsatisfactory.

Above the More Fun entrance, and above the Fork Chop entrance, there are quite a few more ways to get in. My Map #152 incorrectly shows the More Fun entrance as being up at the Fork Chop entrance. Both are walk-ins. I am working on a new version of that map that will "give a little more away".

Caution must be exercised because, if rapping into the canyon, the floor of the canyon is likely more than 100 feet down (the length of ropes you are likely to have). Malia and Dean went up to the Tri-borough Bridges, which Ram has taken me to, but I have only a vague idea of how to get there, mostly based on these photos:

http://www.canyoneeringcentral.com/ravearchive/mar02/

Ram's walk-in route in is intricate; even if I knew it, I might not be able to describe it.

Yes there are substantial obstacles, though most are pretty mild, and no rappels longer than 100 feet.

Some people have suggested that hiking the bench on the southeast side of the canyon offers easier access to the upper canyon.

That's all I got for you...

Tom

Thanks Tom. The pictures are helpful. I am always up for an adventure and we will have more than enough rope to safely drop into the canyon (100', 200', 300'). We will have to see what time permits and will be prepared for the upper section.

map 152

Tom,

Where can I find your maps (map #152)? I've searched for it in Bogley and I've looked around your website as well, to no avail.

Thanks, Chris

Quote Originally Posted by jon.moab View Post
    I imagine this is the map Tom is referring to, http://canyoneeringusa.com/utah/arch/152cneon.jpg, which can be purchased here, http://canyoneeringusa.com/utah/arch/index.htm.
    Wow, that's still there? Yikes!!!

We are in the process of building out a much better website, where people can actually find things.

Maps for sale: http://canyoneeringusa.com/shop/home.php?cat=111

Or Download: http://canyoneeringusa.com/utah/intro/mapcenter.php

I have a new version of that map releasing today.

Tom

Wow, that's still there? Yikes!!!

We are in the process of building out a much better website, where people can actually find things.

Maps for sale: http://canyoneeringusa.com/shop/home.php?cat=111

Or Download: http://canyoneeringusa.com/utah/intro/mapcenter.php

I have a new version of that map releasing today.

Tom
    New version updated, now available at the Map Download Center.

Tom

19. Likes neonandmore liked this post
    Tom

The new maps are sweet.

Thanks. Very timely. Trip report to follow.

Ken

Tom,

Thanks for the new map. Killer. Wondering how long it took you to run the canyon from the tree entrance. Looking to do a day slog from Egypt trailhead. Hoping to have enough time to mosey down the river to check out some art when we get out. Much obliged.

Quote Originally Posted by Hill Keeper View Post
    Tom,

Thanks for the new map. Killer. Wondering how long it took you to run the canyon from the tree entrance. Looking to do a day slog from Egypt trailhead. Hoping to have enough time to mosey down the river to check out some art when we get out. Much obliged.
    From the trailhead, would be hard to go higher than the More Fun Entrance.

The best art panel is just up-river from the mouth of Neon.

Tom

23. Likes neonandmore liked this post
    Custom Neon Signs

Neon Sculptures

Thanks jon for sharing great info.. i really love this types of Neon posts you have adding great lovely images. it is really awesome

Say...what? ^^^ Spam?