Thread: 29 April 2012 - Up Dry Canyon

29 April 2012 - Up Dry Canyon

Somehow I got myself out of bed on a Sunday morning at 7:00 just for the sake of running. Headed up to the Dry Canyon trailhead, a few others already parked, some camping, some meeting friends for Sunday morning walks. Headphones in, I ran up the steep stairway leading up the canyon. I knew I'd find a few spots that would be extremely difficult to run (just leading up to the Blue Limestone Gates, as well as the approach to "The Rock" just before the Curly Springs turnoff). I've heard the trail runners' mantra is "walk uphill when you're tired," and I had no problem doing that this morning. However, I feel like I minimized my walking the best I could and picked up running as soon as possible once the steeps leveled out somewhat. Coming down off the Curly Springs trail, I passed a couple hiking, and the guy shouted out, "Barefoot!" so I guess the Vibrams are catching attention. Seriously, the Vibrams are awesome. Totally different running experience that I wouldn't trade for anything. I feel like I'm using muscles that have always been meant to be used, but that never have because traditional shoes don't allow it. I feel a renewed ability and joy of running without knee injury (knock on wood) because I'm not using my knees to absorb the shock of heel-striking.

2.13 miles, 936' elevation gain, 34 minutes 46 seconds.

Just where is it I could find bear, beaver, and other critters worth cash money when skint?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

How would you rate, or have you heard comparisons, the Vibrams with other brands of "5 finger shoes"?

I don't have experience with other brands but know there are some out there. Might check back through this forum and hit up some other users that have mentioned experience with them (I think there might be one or two). You might also see if Runners World has a barefoot forum, or google a bonafide barefoot community and ask around.

Don't worry about cost on the Vibrams, they go on sale every so often at REI-Outlet.com. Got this pair for $40 with my 20% off coupon. Yeah, you get last year's model, but who cares for less than half price?
    Just where is it I could find bear, beaver, and other critters worth cash money when skint?

Cool, I'd like to grab some. I probably won't take up running seriously because of my knees, but I'd like to wear them on hikes.