Thread: Night Canyoneering - The Corkscrew

Night Canyoneering - The Corkscrew

I recently finished a trip to the High Spur with my good friend Marc. As always, the area did not disappoint. We did descents of West Big Springs and sections of High Spur. Questionable looking clouds led to us abandon plans for Red Spur, so we ended up settling for one of my favorite new pastimes: Night Canyoneering.

More Canyon and Landscape Photography: www.peterjans.com

2. Likes The Good Cop liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

We camped right by you at the old drill site. We didn't do Red Spur either but only because the two guys who stopped and talked with you chickened out on the hook rappel. I was disappointed to not do it. We did Big Spring NW on Thursday and got out just as it started to rain.
    Darin

Glad to hear you got out before the rain. Saw your TR and recognized a few of your buddies as the ones we ran into. Red Spur just wasn't in the cards this time. I guess that gives us a good reason to go back.

How were the conditions in NW Big Springs? When I did it last fall there was a lot of swimming. But last fall the Corkscrew was also flooded 20 feet....

Great photos...Thanks for posting. BTW...Any bugs out yet? Gnats?

Nice photos. I like the way the headlamps light up the rock. Is that a canyon you have done in the daytime?

No bugs yet. And yes, I have done it a few times in the daytime. Also, we didn't run the whole canyon, but rather left a fixed line so we could explore and retreat.

The night pics are pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by stirfrybob View Post
    How were the conditions in NW Big Springs? When I did it last fall there was a lot of swimming. But last fall the Corkscrew was also flooded 20 feet....
    The NW was dry as a bone except for the very last section right before the exit. Attempts were made to run along the edge, but it was a slick and unavoidable slide into the water, about knee deep. We also waded through the knee deep pool still in the Corkscrew. High Spur is a constantly changing canyon!
    Darin