Thread: 2 trips coming up. Wanna join?

2 trips coming up. Wanna join?

I'm doing a trip down Das Boot or Pine Creek on May 5th. Still waiting to see which one gets approved. I'm also doing a trip down Mystery Canyon on June 23rd. Looking for canyoneering buddies. If you want to join, a couple things about me:
    I've been down Keyhole, Pine, and have done a 3-day course in Moab. The descents I've done so far have been solo, but would be better with company! It would be nice to find people with more experience than me. :)
    I'm always willing to join your trip, too! Nothing too insane at this point...
    Thanks! Randy

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Sounds like you are awaiting a Subway permit? You have a Mystery permit already? How many spaces you have available?

Tom

I'd be interested in the Mystery trip, especially if you have space for 2. My canyoneering buddies have mostly already done Mystery and we have a tendency to not repeat much, so I'd love to go with some different people.

Hi Tom,
    I'm in the last-minute drawing for Das Boot. If I get it, I was planning on exiting up the Subway route. I do have the Mystery permit already for June 23rd. I have 5 spaces for DB (big assumption that I'll get it), and 3 open for Mystery. Are you interested in joining?

Hi Dustinsc,

Yes, I have room for 2. I'm excited to have you guys join!

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Hi Tom,
    I'm in the last-minute drawing for Das Boot. If I get it, I was planning on exiting up the Subway route. I do have the Mystery permit already for June 23rd. I have 5 spaces for DB (big assumption that I'll get it), and 3 open for Mystery. Are you interested in joining?
    I am otherwise engaged... but I did want to provoke some responses to your request - mission accomplished!

T

Tom,

Can I get your advice on something? I have an invite to do Heaps with a professional guide who knows his stuff. Given my short background in canyoneering and very limited experience, would I be crazy to join or crazy not to? The trip's for mid-May.

Thanks,
    Randy

Hard to say Randy, I'm sorry I cannot really render an opinion, just some words of caution:

- the term "professional guide" covers a lot of ground;
    - Heaps puts a premium on having your ropework dialed. There's plenty of work to do, so I don't really think there is such a thing as a "ride along" in Heaps;
    - Heaps is a pretty good workout, and then at the end you need to keep it together for some long rappels. I don't do Heaps unless I am on top of my game, but then again, you're probably a young kid who can run a marathon off the couch...
    - Helps to know how your body responds to the cold. In the spring, Heaps tends to be cold cold cold, and saves some long swims for near the end.

In other words, if you have to ask...

Tom

Thanks for the info, Tom. I think I'd be better off to get some other canyons under my belt first. Heaps sounds amazing, but I'd like to be able to really enjoy it. I'm still getting back into shape after my sedentary thirties, so no marathons off the couch for me just yet!

Sounds good. My roommate and I will be on board then. That's the week I get back from Mexico, so I may be hard to reach until then, but I don't think that will present any kind of a problem.

Heaps is going nowhere. Doing it when you are mentally and physically prepared will likely lead to a better experience and a desire to return.

Have a great time on the upcoming trips.