Thread: Camping along Skutumpah Road

Camping along Skutumpah Road

I'm just a few days away from a trip to the Paria Canyon/GSENM region, and was wondering if anyone knows of any decent primitive spots to camp along Skutumpah Road. We'll be camping at Stateline campground the first couple nights, but then we want to move further north for the next couple nights. The campground at Kodachrome is a possibility, but I'd like to know if we have other options in the area. It's always good to have more than one option. The north end of Cottonwood Road would work, too, but I hear it's impassable about half way through. I know it's at least passable to the Cottonwood Narrows, so info on sites in that area would work, too. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by pixie1339 View Post
    I'm just a few days away from a trip to the Paria Canyon/GSENM region, and was wondering if anyone knows of any decent primitive spots to camp along Skutumpah Road. We'll be camping at Stateline campground the first couple nights, but then we want to move further north for the next couple nights. The campground at Kodachrome is a possibility, but I'd like to know if we have other options in the area. It's always good to have more than one option. The north end of Cottonwood Road would work, too, but I hear it's impassable about half way through. I know it's at least passable to the Cottonwood Narrows, so info on sites in that area would work, too. Thanks in advance!

Seems like when I hiked Yellow Rocks, we parked in an area that would be a good place to camp? Check out our map to locate the TH and parking.
    http://www.zionnational-park.com/map-yellow-rock.htm

Thanks Bo! We're actually hiking part of Hackberry and Yellow Rock earlier that day. It's good to know you could camp there in case we finish up late and don't want to go north until morning. Cottonwood Road is impassable in the middle right now or we'd just use it to get up to the Skutumpah area.

Just walked a lot of Cottonwood Road a few days ago. Very muddy in the middle section (where springs/campground shown on topo), but otherwise the road is fine. Several people made it through the muddy section w/o problem (though it did rain the day after I was there.) I can post pics if you want to size it up.

There is a pretty good camp area just north of this point. It has a pull off area and a fire ring near a cool rock formation. If you do make it all the way up to Skut, there is a good car camp just north of Willis Creek on the side road that goes back toward Bryce. It's just about a mile or so back and has a great view.

- Jamal

Thanks for the info Jamal! If you could post some pics of that section I'd really appreciate it.:)

To add to what Bo posted, if you go up Cottonwood 14.5 miles from Rt 89 you'll see the unsigned Brigham Plains Rd go off to the right. Take that right and travel a couple hundred yards or so and then take another right onto a track that will lead you to several picturesque campsites up against the rocks and boulders.

Last time I was there (2 years ago) that camping area was well occupied so I returned to Cottonwood and moved up to the Yellow Rocks/Lower Hackberry THs where there are camping areas on both sides of the road.

As far as Skut, I've only camped along the road once and it's been a few years. My recollection is that I pulled off onto a track shortly after leaving the hardtop Kodachrome Basin Rd.

Thanks Erial! I appreciate it. It's good to know where other sites in the area are. It sucks spending hard earned vacation time searching for campsites.

Quote Originally Posted by pixie1339 View Post
    Thanks for the info Jamal! If you could post some pics of that section I'd really appreciate it.:)
    Here's the bad spot on the Cottonwood Road. This was on 4/23:

Name:  CottonwoodRoad..jpg
Views: 1232
Size:  63.4 KB

Here's the camp a little farther north on the road:

Name:  CottonwoodCamp..jpg
Views: 838
Size:  60.3 KB

Here's the tele view near Averett Canyon car camp on the side road just north of Willis Creek:

Name:  AvertCynCamp..jpg
Views: 713
Size:  54.7 KB

BTW -- the Kodachrome SP camp has showers if you feel the need!

- Jamal

Thanks so much for posting those! I think we're going to avoid the muddy mess in the middle and head to the northern end using Skutumpah. I'd hate to get stuck out there.