Thread: eardley and zero g

eardley and zero g

anybody been out there lately? taking some beginners to the area and looking for recent water level conditions in both. i havent been to eardley yet but guessing the pothole section is pretty straight forward? no potshots but will have plenty of rope/slings and our packs if needed. looks like the route up the north side of eardley would be easier with a larger group? also, did zero g a couple of years ago and dont remember anything that would deter me from taking beginners? thanks!!

p.s. thanks shane for all the goblin valley work. this will now be the first canyon we hit just for a little warm up! and ive always wanted to check out the park

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

* * besides the last technical section in zero g, of which I am aware of.

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...on-Death-March

I would not take noobs to Eardley, in fact I would not take anyone. The last spot in Zero G could be tough if your noobs are not athletic or skinny.

YMMV

Go south to Hogwarts and Merry Piglet, those are some awesome noob canyons. Lots of fun very little work.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...on-Death-March

Go south to Hogwarts and Merry Piglet, those are some awesome noob canyons. Lots of fun very little work.
    Yeah, what he said!

Tom

i was also considering heading that way. went down and did woody and trail about a month ago...mark, i saw you just did both hogwarts and piglet. i kinda wanted to get them into something longer and find a spot where we could do a couple of canyons from one base. any suggestions? thats why i was thinking zero and eardley and maybe n fork of iron

.. so the only reason you wouldnt suggest eardley is the approach?? i kinda want to get them into some water and although i havent been there, it looks like a good intro into rapping into and swimming pools.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jmibarra View Post
    i was also considering heading that way. went down and did woody and trail about a month ago...mark, i saw you just did both hogwarts and piglet. i kinda wanted to get them into something longer and find a spot where we could do a couple of canyons from one base. any suggestions? thats why i was thinking zero and eardley and maybe n fork of iron

.. so the only reason you wouldnt suggest eardley is the approach?? i kinda want to get them into some water and although i havent been there, it looks like a good intro into rapping into and swimming pools.
    I was just there this last weekend and it's dry. Eardley has some swimmers but the water levels are low!

The Goblin Lair was bone dry (not even mud was present), Knotted Rope had a few potholes with waist-deep water but most keepers were dry, and Zero G, just had it's 3 mandatory swims. Other than that, if you want swimmers, I'd hold off until that area receives some rain and refills. It's dry!!

Oh, and my suggestion would be if you are doing Iron Wash Canyon, is to go up the canyon until the keeper and return the same way you came. Otherwise, it's a long long canyon for little reward, IMO, especially with very low water.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

thanks Jman!

with the water levels was there any keepers to watch out for in eardley? maybe the second pool? how bad do you think the approach is to your liking?

also, did iron about a month ago as well and hiked up canyon and dropped in a little bit above the narrows. car to car was i believe 3.5hrs. def the way to go for that one. also, seems that the keeper in iron has filled in quite a bit, as we were able to free climb out. it was a fun short canyon forsure! im a fan of the dark slots!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jmibarra View Post
    thanks Jman!

with the water levels was there any keepers to watch out for in eardley? maybe the second pool? how bad do you think the approach is to your liking?

also, did iron about a month ago as well and hiked up canyon and dropped in a little bit above the narrows. car to car was i believe 3.5hrs. def the way to go for that one. also, seems that the keeper in iron has filled in quite a bit, as we were able to free climb out. it was a fun short canyon forsure! im a fan of the dark slots!
    Well, with Eardley the approach is quite steep and when you start to drop into the canyon, it's very loose rock and can be quite dangerous! Um, personally, I enjoy elevation hiking, but 99% of the world isn't like me in that regard.

I skip Iron Wash, but only do it if someone wants to check it off their list.

The keeper in Eardley is low and is a little tricky for noobs, but if you have a group of at least 3, you can surpass it. The last pool is still a swimmer and is nice soak, but like Mark said above, you can get more bang for your buck with Merry or Hogwarts.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

If you want to swim head to the black hole. There is a pool in merry piglet, how deep who knows we went around.