Thread: Things to do in St. George (hiking, biking, photography)

Things to do in St. George (hiking, biking, photography)

Hey all, I've been in Utah now 10 years and am just now staying my first night(s) in the St. George area. A friend bought a house in the Paradise Canyon area (Snow Canyon?) and we will be staying there. She said there are trails within walking distance that I'm sure we'll explore, but I am looking for the 'greatest hits' for someone who only has a few days.

I am bringing my bike but will be riding solo so any thoughts for up to medium difficulty rides would be appreciated.

I am also constantly looking for great outdoor photography options so any thoughts there would be appreciated.

It looks like the National Parks are free until the 29th so we could head up to Zion as well.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
    Thomas

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by tmartenst View Post
    Hey all, I've been in Utah now 10 years and am just now staying my first night(s) in the St. George area. A friend bought a house in the Paradise Canyon area (Snow Canyon?) and we will be staying there. She said there are trails within walking distance that I'm sure we'll explore, but I am looking for the 'greatest hits' for someone who only has a few days.

I am bringing my bike but will be riding solo so any thoughts for up to medium difficulty rides would be appreciated.

I am also constantly looking for great outdoor photography options so any thoughts there would be appreciated.

It looks like the National Parks are free until the 29th so we could head up to Zion as well.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
    Thomas
    Hi Thomas,
    If you have just a moment, please stop by The Desert Rat at the corner of Bluff St. and St. George Blvd. I'd be more than happy to help you pick out a spot or two and give you directions.
    Bo

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Paradise Canyon Trail is a great trail to ride. Bear Claw Poppy is a must ride when in St. George. A few riders are in town this weekend if your interested PM with cell number and I can text ya the where and when of it. Talk about shuttling JEM later today. Any place up above Snow Canyon looking down in make for great photos. An easy hike for that is White Rocks Natural Amphitheater, just off HWY 18. Do stop by and see Bo!
    Chere'

The trails around Snow Canyon and environs are all great. Its warming up down there so just be prepared for some heat (though back to seasonal temps this weekend).

I love the drive over the top of the Red Cliffs preserve (Yankee Doodle, etc) and newer wilderness areas. Phenomenal hiking and scenery (fly fishing is likely mudded up this week due to rains).

There are a few worthy hikes in the Virgin River Gorge region as well or the Beaver Dam mountain range.

Definitely take Bo up on his offer. Only ran into him in passing a few times but he is by far one of the best resources in the area. Plus, it always nice to support the local shops!

Phillip

Even though Zion is going to be pizacked I would wake up real early and go do some of the classic zion hikes!\

For both photography and greatest hits Zion is your best option!

Some suggestions for Zion- do you have kids if so Riverside Walk, Emerald Pools, Parus Trail. If you dont Observation Point, Hidden Canyon, or the other listed ones! For early-mid morning photography the canyon overlook trail is hard to beat!

Suggestions for Snow Canyon- I really like the White Rock Ampitheater trail, especially if you are comfortable to scramble up the slickrock on south east side of the ampitheater.

Howabout a look at Hurricane Mesa?
    This is where the ejection seats were tested back in the late 40's early 50's etc.

I had a scout around there last October, and it is still fairly protected, but no-one was around. The drive up the hillside gives some lovely views, if nothing else.

The Kolob Fingers area of Zion gets less traffic than the main canyon, Middle Taylor Creek would be a fun hike. Drive up Kolob Reservoir Rd in the evening for some terrific photo ops.
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

Quote Originally Posted by Win View Post
    The Kolob Fingers area of Zion gets less traffic than the main canyon, Middle Taylor Creek would be a fun hike. Drive up Kolob Reservoir Rd in the evening for some terrific photo ops.
    There's even snow leftover! I hiked Middle Fork with Tanya and Tom a week ago and continued up past Double Arch Alcove about a mile and found piles and piles of snow in the canyon when it necked down! WooHoo!

Thanks all!

I did stop to see Bo and it was worth it. What a great shop and a wealth of knowledge. Thanks Bo!

I biked the Turtle Wall to Paradise Rim Trail twice (once Sat. and once Sun.). My wife and 10 month old daughter and our friend hiked it while I rode. My friends house was only 5 houses away from the trailhead! This made the ride about 30 minutes door to door. Fun little ride.

We also did the Red Mountain Trail to the Snow Canyon Overlook Sunday morning. I know the area well enough now to find my way around next time.

I'll post more details later with pics/vids.

Turtle Wall is well named:
    Name:  04282012_Turtleon&#84.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  42.7 KB

Awesome I've yet to see a turtle (tortoise) on that trail, maybe we're cruising by too fast

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    I have yet to see one!! Nice picture.
    Chere'

We saw two on Saturday about an hour or so before sunset. I saw none on Sunday during my ride at 1pm.

It was great to see you and your family! I'm glad that you found some good spots to MB and hike! Beaut of a shot of the good ol' Desert Tortoise! I had the rare opportunity a few years back to be involved in the rescue of one! The RCDR "Lori Rose" called me and asked if I could rescue a tortoise? She explained that it was jamed in a vertical crack. Anyway, sure enough about 15' down in a "squeeze" crack was a 5lb tortoise wedged tightly head up. I chimneyed down but it was so tight that my extended arm was still 3' away! I had them drop a rope down on the other side, then I grabbed the rope with a snake stick, then I went back up a few feet and we both lifted on the rope at the same time. The rope just wedged tightly like a chock block. I then took off my T-shirt, tied it to the end of the rope, had them lower it, hooked it with the snake hook and then repeated the lift. This time the shirt acted as a basket and dislodged the tortoise. We raised it about 3' until I could get my hand to it and secure it's golar horn. I then chimneyed back up with the tortoise until someone up top could secure it. My understanding is that the tortoise was taken to a sanctuary in Hurricane and eventually was returned to the desert and ran on to a merry, gleeful life!

16. Likes mattandersao liked this post
    Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    almost as good as the goat rescue

Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner View Post
    almost as good as the goat rescue
    Yeah! We still have conversations and laugh about that bittersweet day and the "Goat"! May he rest in peace, and a word to the other goats out there, "If you see us coming, run for your life"!
    Attached Images Attached Images